Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No franchising has nothing to do with mcdojos.

The phrase literally came around because of schools that “hand out belts like happy meal toys.”
I don't know the origin of the term, but it was used quite a bit in the past to refer to dojo chains that expanded quickly (in this case, either franchises, a local owner with multiple locations, or an organization that spread quickly), where the locations were all run with the same model.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But McDonalds does superheat their coffee, or at least they used to, because they would sell cheap coffee and by superheating it they disguise its bad taste. As a result you can burn yourself if you spill it on you and then sue them.
You are more than a little behind the times on this issue. The famous hot coffee lawsuit dates back to 1994, almost three decades ago. See below:

In more recent years, numerous reviewers have rated McDonalds regular coffee as much improved and equal to or better than Starbuck's. Of course opinions vary. Here's a typical review:

Notice that McDonalds is using a medium brew rather than a dark brew, that it is less bitter, and that their caffeine content is higher, and it's a lot cheaper. All those suit my personal preferences for plain coffee for my commute home from work. That said, I also frequent Starbuck's for fancier brews. :)

What has this to do with MA??? Well, I start my day at 3:45 am, so I really need that caffeine kick before teaching my evening class!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know the origin of the term, but it was used quite a bit in the past to refer to dojo chains that expanded quickly (in this case, either franchises, a local owner with multiple locations, or an organization that spread quickly), where the locations were all run with the same model.
I think this is also right. Schools built on a mass production model copying fast food chains, (whether franchised or not) catering to kids and, yes, passing out the the belts like happy meals toys, but charging a lot more! :D

I have a friend that kinda-sorta teaches TKD that way. I was appalled by the low standards I saw when he was testing some of the little kids (the bread and butter of his business).

I asked him about it and he replied "Oh that's just for the junior belts". When his students moved up to the adult ranks (for middle schoolers, teens, and adults) his standards were very respectable, and students (like my son) did sometimes fail their tests. And the testing fee (at that time) was only $5 ...including the new belt!

So McDojo? Maybe ...in some regards. But not a "belt factory".

I feel that my son got good training there. He worked hard for years to earn a brown belt before leaving for college. And, not at all like the place that my step-brother's kid got a 2nd degree black belt at age twelve ...after his dad threatened to pull him out if he didn't pass! :oops:

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so how about for students who are over the age of 13? You said its for your kids class for students who were 13 and younger.

At my old dojo there wasn't a written part of the test, you just had to perform the techniques, combinations, and katas, and if you were testing for a belt above yellow you had to spar. And you had to perform well enough of course, especially with the katas. Just knowing the kata was not enough and as a matter of fact when students failed about eighty percent of the time it was because their kata wasn't good enough.
Great question. Our adult and teen programs are run in a much more intense fashion. Questions that would be on the written test for our kids are asked to adult and teen students in the middle of training when critical thinking and recall is a bit harder so they have to know the answers outright. Training is a lot tougher and is run on a tight schedule with no room for talking, socializing, or slacking. So I tell all of our teen and adult students that every class is a testing. When I see they are ready for their next rank they are promoted at the end of class, no formal testing needed. Adults and older teens can learn faster from quick critique than younger kids can so we are capable of running this way while maintaining standards. As previously stated we have cameras in our school that are set to record anytime they detect motion so they record all class long. Because of this I am able to review classes and look at repeating issues and give detailed feedback sheets to the adult students as well. In addition we recommend all students keep a training journal and bring it every class so that when given feedback from the instructor during class they can write it down after class so they don't forget what they need to work on.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well some of the people who have posted responses on this very thread have made that claim. I won't mention names as those people know who they are.

Well certainly not all American instructors run mcdojos, the dojo Im going to right now is run by an instructor from the USA and he certainly does not run a mcdojo, its just that Asian instructors tend to not run mcdojos as they believe in hard work as part of their culture.
Wow, more racist generalizations? You need sensitivity training more than I do. At least make it funny if you are going to generalize.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, more racist generalizations? You need sensitivity training more than I do. At least make it funny if you are going to generalize.
Wing Woo Gar, do ya think that maybe a better way for Photon to have phrased this sentiment would have been something like this: In my experience, modern Western capitalist culture tends to produce more "McDojos" than the traditional Asian model.

On the other hand, Photon, my personal experience with my old Chinese sifu from Hong Kong was the opposite of yours. If he was a Grandmaster of kung-fu, then he was certainly a Great Grandmaster of the capitalist ethic!* ;)

*Actual quote: "Do not complain about how much I charge you. Remember, I cheat you once so now you can cheat your students 1,000 times. Always make them pay a lot or you break your rice bowl." :oops:

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Woo Gar, do ya think that maybe a better way for Photon to have phrased this sentiment would have been something like this: In my experience, modern Western capitalist culture tends to produce more "McDojos" than the traditional Asian model.

On the other hand, Photon, my personal experience with my old Chinese sifu from Hong Kong was the opposite of yours. If he was a Grandmaster of kung-fu, then he was certainly a Great Grandmaster of the capitalist ethic!* ;)

*Actual quote: "Do not complain about how much I charge you. Remember, I cheat you once so now you can cheat your students 1,000 times. Always make them pay a lot or you break your rice bowl." :oops:
My old Chinese Sigung had a sliding scale based on …? I once paid 100.00 for 6 hours a day for 7 days of intense personal instruction with him. I saw him charge some people 150.00 for one hour, and he was ferocious with them.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think if photon has any better way to express those kinds of racist sentiments he should keep those to himself as well. There is no excuse for it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wow, that is an amazing level of open honestly. I guess I haven’t learned that lesson. I feel like a stingey bastard for charging at all, but I do have some expenses I would like to cover.

I think it’s a sad thing when a fellow cannot find anything in life that is worth doing for its own sake, for the joy of doing it. It must always come with a fat paycheck. I have an uncle who seems to be like that. I don’t spend time with him.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saying that the Asian culture values hard work is racist? If anything it's a positive stereotype.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read what you said but there’s no objective marker there for your decision.
It’s so the students meet your standards, which inherently means a very biased judge. If you were trained at a mcdojo originally, then your judgement is tainted unless you found non-mcdojo places to train at in between.

Therefore again your entire post boils down to “not a mcdojo because I don’t think it’s a mcdojo”

You may be correct, but that’s not much of a defense when people make the accusation.
So then I suppose it all boils down to whether or not a person thinks a particular dojo is a good dojo to train at and the standards for whether or not a dojo is a good dojo to train at will of course vary from person to person. A politer way of saying it would be to say that a particular dojo doesn't meet your standards as a dojo that you would train at, the term mcdojo can be offensive.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are more than a little behind the times on this issue. The famous hot coffee lawsuit dates back to 1994, almost three decades ago. See below:

In more recent years, numerous reviewers have rated McDonalds regular coffee as much improved and equal to or better than Starbuck's. Of course opinions vary. Here's a typical review:

Notice that McDonalds is using a medium brew rather than a dark brew, that it is less bitter, and that their caffeine content is higher, and it's a lot cheaper. All those suit my personal preferences for plain coffee for my commute home from work. That said, I also frequent Starbuck's for fancier brews. :)

What has this to do with MA??? Well, I start my day at 3:45 am, so I really need that caffeine kick before teaching my evening class!
Well I haven't had coffee from McDonalds for a long time so I wouldn't know. In fact, I've put off coffee altogether for some time now.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great question. Our adult and teen programs are run in a much more intense fashion. Questions that would be on the written test for our kids are asked to adult and teen students in the middle of training when critical thinking and recall is a bit harder so they have to know the answers outright. Training is a lot tougher and is run on a tight schedule with no room for talking, socializing, or slacking. So I tell all of our teen and adult students that every class is a testing. When I see they are ready for their next rank they are promoted at the end of class, no formal testing needed. Adults and older teens can learn faster from quick critique than younger kids can so we are capable of running this way while maintaining standards. As previously stated we have cameras in our school that are set to record anytime they detect motion so they record all class long. Because of this I am able to review classes and look at repeating issues and give detailed feedback sheets to the adult students as well. In addition we recommend all students keep a training journal and bring it every class so that when given feedback from the instructor during class they can write it down after class so they don't forget what they need to work on.
I see, so your adult programs sound a bit like what my Goju Ryu instructor does in terms of how he promotes students. He does do some formal testing but much of his testing he does just from watching you in class. So much of the time when you're being tested you won't know it. As he runs a rather small dojo it would work.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
So then I suppose it all boils down to whether or not a person thinks a particular dojo is a good dojo to train at and the standards for whether or not a dojo is a good dojo to train at will of course vary from person to person. A politer way of saying it would be to say that a particular dojo doesn't meet your standards as a dojo that you would train at, the term mcdojo can be offensive.
Not my concern if someone finds my verbiage offensive.
It’s literally one of the stupidest things to get offended over.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saying that the Asian culture values hard work is racist? If anything it's a positive stereotype.
Even positive stereotypes are racist. I know quite a few asians who hate the stereotypes that they're good at math, piano, or karate; which on the surface are all positive things. People say that hispanics are hard workers-which sound positive until you realize they're normally saying it to couch their belief that hispanics are more suited for menial labor than others.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey @PhotonGuy. It actually is quite racist. There is a lot of information that you may find helpful if you look up “model minority” and how that stereotype hurts all people of color. Here’s one article to get you started.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey @PhotonGuy. It actually is quite racist. There is a lot of information that you may find helpful if you look up “model minority” and how that stereotype hurts all people of color. Here’s one article to get you started.

Checked out the link. Worth reading. Short version: don't generalize. Terms like Asian, POC ....even Caucasian or "White" are gross generalizations that perforce reduce vast and diverse populations to shallow stereotypes. See people for who they are ...not as some abstract idea or group.

At least that's how I like to be seen ....as me, not some stereotypical "OWB" (Old White Bastard). Naw. I'm a very individualistic old white bastard! ;)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are allowed to say whatever you want, I support you in that respect. I am allowed to feel whatever I want about what you say. I think that the fact that you don’t get that what you expressed would be interpreted as racist, is unfortunate. It’s not my place to educate you, but think about it. You doubled down on it, saying it’s positive racism. That, is where you have an even more serious disconnect in my opinion. I doubt anything I would say will affect you in this regard. Please do go on sir, and illuminate me on the virtues and values of various culture groups as you see it. I invite you to exercise your rights to expressing your opinions, however backward, ignorant, and distasteful I might find them.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
You must not be married.
Nope but been living with my gf for 5yrs now.
Luckily she understands that being offended doesn’t help any situation.
If something causes offense to us we examine why it causes us offense.
If it causes offense because it’s a negative thing that is accurate we either accept that it’s true or we work the make it inaccurate in the future.

If it’s not accurate to us why would waste time being offended?

Now obviously there’s the things that fall under bigotry that are a separate issue.

Latest Discussions