Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Finding rats in a restaurant is not the same as deciding that you think a school is teaching poorly, based on your own criteria. A better comparison would be if you simply decided you didn’t like the food, and decided to try and get the restaurant shut down, without any health or safety hazards in the mix. Simply because you didn’t like the meal.
So can I go around town saying the foods greasy and tastes bad? If that’s my opinion it’s still accurate is it not?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can I go around town saying the foods greasy and tastes bad? If that’s my opinion it’s still accurate is it not?
Not necessarily. It's your opinion. That does not mean it's accurate.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s accurate to me though, so it is accurate.
Maybe. Maybe not. Apparently this is confusing to you? Opinions are subjective. Facts are objective.
anyway my question was can I go around saying the foods bad?
You can... you may also be sued for slander or libel by someone who knows the difference between opinion and fact.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe. Maybe not. Apparently this is confusing to you? Opinions are subjective. Facts are objective.

You can... you may also be sued for slander or libel by someone who knows the difference between opinion and fact.
Not really, you can only be sued if you lied and there are protections for reviews...so...no.

You are free to make almost any opinion in Texas ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There you go, I can do the same for a dojo
Of course you can. But if you do it in a way that becomes an aggressive and systematic attempt to get the school to close down, which really is what the accusation of “McDojo” is all about (I would need to re-read the entire thread to see if you or someone else has said it in this instance, but there is often someone in the discussion who suggests that “something” ought to be done about these McDojos [bluster bluster bluster]…), then it rises to another level of douchebaggery and moves in the direction of harassment and slander and potential legal troubles. Everyone has the right to express an opinion. But you do not have the right to run someone out of business or out of town, just because you don’t like how they do things.

Which brings it all kind of full circle in that how does one define “McDojo” that everyone can agree on, and individual schools can be judged upon? It can’t be done. There is no objective way to determine it, it is too full of opinion.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Idk, looking at their website, reviews, etc. teachers credentials
Oh I see. So the brochure is how you tell. What if it’s CMA? The teacher may not advertise his”credentials”. He may not even have a brochure for your perusal and judgement. He may not give the time of day to people who think they know what they clearly don’t. Websites and Yelp are now the measure of a teacher or school? I can barely see you in the that hole you are digging.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not necessarily. It's your opinion. That does not mean it's accurate.
Whoa, hold on. Not quite true. It really depends upon whether the statements are supported by some objective, independently observed standards. For example, it should be pretty easy to determine whether food is greasy or not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay, here's a question. Is anyone interested in having a discussion, or are folks just having a laugh and engaging in a little light trolling?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not if all you did was read the reviews and the brochure and the chefs credentials. You have to go in and actually get a taste.
If I do that then I get a sense of the food sane with a gym or dojo

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes you certainly can, even if you know absolutely nothing about running a school or teaching martial arts. I welcome you to it. You will be in fine company.
Do I have to know how to run a school? That’s like saying I need to be a teacher, dr, or anything to give my opinion.

we Once had a dr who ignored a member of family, it almost resulted in suicide, I think I’m pretty safe in saying he’s a crap dr

Latest Discussions