Butterfly Kick

TheRebornSeraph

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new and this is my first post.

Lately, I have been attempting a b-kick or butterfly kick. I have had limited success. My main areas of problem are getting the first leg (right)up. I am not sure if I am just worried about faceplanting and not allowing myself to really thrust that leg up for lift or what. It also seems like the left leg goes higher as I have watched myself via video. I feel like if I can get this problem resolved, it will be much more graceful ,as well ***,more technical.

Any help is appreciated including a link to a tutorial. (I have watched many videos, but I may be missing something)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There may be some "trick kickerz" here on the TKD forum, but you may want to pose this question on the CMA forum. I believe that the xuànzi is a traditional defensive movement in some CMA's.

Personally, I have never performed this movement.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Legs bent to take off, legs bent to land. If you feel your ankle roll on the landing, fall. Better to break a fall than snap an ankle. Step thru it slow, marking points in the room in your mind on where youwant to be oriented when your leg comes up for the kick.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will try my best to explain in the way we teach our kids, but it really helps having a visual...see below:
1) Start in lunge position. You will have one knee bent forward and one leg straight. I have one arm pointing forward (Note: This should be the arm of the opposite side of the forward bending leg) and one arm pointing back.
2) You will now switch your legs and arm position by stepping back with the forward leg an swinging your arms as well.
3) You will now swing the leading hand in a half circle downward, while you rotate the body to "follow the hand". Basically you will dip your body down and up (picture like someone is swinging a bat and you are going duck underneath).
4) When you rise back up you will launch from your back leg at the same time.

Now if this totally confusing, then just watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8J...PLC0339D1AEAC18E87&lf=results_main&playnext=5

OP
T

TheRebornSeraph

White Belt
Reaction score
This is all a great help. Thank you all. I may be pulling ,my head back and arching my back instead of relaxing.

Latest Discussions