Jumping Spinning Back Kick

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am going to practice the jump spinning back kick. If anyone knows any good training methods, I would appreciate your telling me what they are!

At tonight's class, before the class, I will do the exercises shown in this video:

I will turn to look at the target, of course.

I know that there are two ways to do this kick. One way is to tuck the leg up, bent at the knee (the base leg). The other way is to let the base leg stay straight and to let it go in the direction opposite the target.

I will practice both ways to begin with, and the one which seems the most natural to me is the one that I will then practice further.

Regards,

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that viedo looks like a good way to practice the kick. You can also just do the kick on the ground till you feel comfortable with the movement then gradualy take a slight hop as you do it increaseing the hop till you are fully in the air
and yes please learn to turn your head so you see the object you are kicking

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YouTube is blocked at work, so I can't look at it right now - but I agree with the leg tuck; one of the purposes of jump kicks is to clear an obstacle (including staffs) - so trailing one leg is generally a bad idea. Also, it looks a lot higher when you tuck your non-kicking leg, even if it's not.

The easiest way to practice is to not do the full turn at first. Turn 15-30 degrees to start with, and when you're comfortable with that, turn farther. Keep going until you can turn as far as needed. This is a kick that is much easier to do with a target - but you don't need anything fancy; a plastic container lid on a string from the ceiling is enough to get you started.

Also, remember that when you hit something solid, instead of air or a lightweight target like a plastic lid, things are going to change - because no matter how well you retract, you will rebound from a solid target. So once you're comfortable with the kick itself in the air, you really need to practice on a focus pad, and, if possible, on a heavy bag.

Good luck!

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
YouTube is blocked at work, so I can't look at it right now - but I agree with the leg tuck; one of the purposes of jump kicks is to clear an obstacle (including staffs) - so trailing one leg is generally a bad idea. Also, it looks a lot higher when you tuck your non-kicking leg, even if it's not.
The youtube video showed the man jumping up and tucking both feet. Then, he did the same thing, except he also turned 180 degrees. Finally, he jumped, tucked, turned, and extended the kicking leg and landed with the leg extended (ball of the foot down to land on). It seems like a good way to break that down. We used to practice this jumping (the first two methods, as well as turning 360 degrees, but it never occurred to me WHY we were doing that -- its very clear now, Duh!).

This is a kick that is much easier to do with a target - but you don't need anything fancy; a plastic container lid on a string from the ceiling is enough to get you started.

I just read this post after the class. I only practiced on a heavy bag (one of the kind that is supported from the floor, not hanging, but, it gives you some "feel" of resistance). I find it much easier to kick this way against the substantial target. When kicking this kick in the air only it is much more difficult for me to do, and I do not know why. Its curious to me why this is so, but it certainly is so.

Also, remember that when you hit something solid, instead of air or a lightweight target like a plastic lid, things are going to change - because no matter how well you retract, you will rebound from a solid target. So once you're comfortable with the kick itself in the air, you really need to practice on a focus pad, and, if possible, on a heavy bag.

Good luck!

Well, I can tell right now that my vertical jump is not very impressive. And, I suppose that only time and effort can improve that.

I found that when I "think" straight line (like "foot to target") instead of circle (like "body turning") that it comes off much better.

Thanks for the tips. I will practice until I can jump higher (I will also practice the jumping alone, like described above) and until I can kick faster. QUICK --> one!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like that, that is good stuff. I'm going to see if we can't get this sort of jumping practice added to the warm up routines we do at the beginning of every class. It will definitely benefit the kids as well as the old fogeys like myself. :)

jim

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am leaving town for the weekend, on a trip that has nothing to do with TKD. I have packed some loose pants and my yoga mat. I plan to exercise while I am there. Stretching, kicking, pushups.

Also, kick and hold the leg out. And, there is some guy going who used to practice some kind of CMA as a youngster, and a Shotokan guy who still practices now. I will ask them to hold a cardboard target for me to throw some kicks to.

I wish to be able to break 3 boards with this kick. If I get to that point, I will have a video taken of that and will post the link for you people to view!

I will not be on this board for the weekend, so, listen, I hope that you all have a good practice tonight.

Practice Hard, Robert!

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really like that, that is good stuff. I'm going to see if we can't get this sort of jumping practice added to the warm up routines we do at the beginning of every class. It will definitely benefit the kids as well as the old fogeys like myself. :)

jim
Just a note here, Jim.

I do not know if its important or not (maybe a Teacher on the board will say). I remember that we typically did these at the END of class. Again, it may not be important, I do not know.

I'm out, catch you all Monday.