slow twich

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
O.k. theres sorta a long story behind this question, so I wont get into it unless a couple people ask. But basicly I need training tips. Namely ways to build the strength of your legs (mostly the slow twich fibers) and cardio. The cardio is slightly less importent then the leg strength. Things I'm already doing (so there is no need to suggest): posture training, running/jogging, and sparring.
Mods feel free to move this were ever you like. I couldn't really think of a better place.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you mean just "strength" (ability to do work, i.e., move mass) or muscular endurance (the ability for the muscle to perform without fatigue) as well?

According to http://tms.ecol.net/fitness/endbasic.htm

"Muscular Endurance is the practical use of raw strength."

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Squats. Do lots of squats.

Then, for more strength, do more squats.

Then, for variety, do different kinds of squats (Front squats. Back squats. Overhead squats. Zercher squats. Johnson squats.) You can also vary it a bit by adding deadlifts, lunges, and/or weighted step-ups.

Seriously, for leg strength, you want large range-of-motion compound weighted exercises. If you don't have access to a gym/weights, try burpees and unweighted squats.

For building aerobic capacity and leg strength quickly, try jumping rope 15 min. a night for 2 weeks. Also, search for 'Tabata interval training'. And guess what? You can train Tabata intervals with .......... squats!!

Best of luck!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of this weight training is bad for you. I would recommend horse stance, mule kicks,body weight squats and do a ton of kicking reps.

Just a thought.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I have been lifting weights for most of my adult life; from periods of specific training for various athletic pursuits to powerlifting for a few years, now back to a 3-day week for strength and tone. My only suggestion is that if you are in the over 50 crowd (as I am) consider leg presses or alternate exercises in lieu of SQUATS. With a lifetime of practice behind me I still managed to blow out a knee two years ago doing....SQUATS. Great exercise but increasingly tough on the joints over the years. Best regards........

-GARRY

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept, I'm there already. And at this moment with the amount of weight I have access to, I have to do alot of reps to get to MMF. So I was hopeing for something else.
zDom, endurance mostly. Why I mentioned slow twich fibers. As I understand it slow twich fibers are the ones used in endruance exercises. Also, thanks for the site, I'll look at it later (I'm currently at school, so I don't have the time).
And ninja mom, I'll look up those variations of squats. I didn't even know they exesited.
And Matt.M look at adepts. I'm also not sure what a mule kick is.
And to everyone (especialy ronin moose) thanks for the advise and tips.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
zDom, endurance mostly. Why I mentioned slow twich fibers. As I understand it slow twich fibers are the ones used in endruance exercises.

I recommend squats, and lots of them. As in, no weight -- just squat down (bending legs, not back) and touch fists to floor. Repeat 500 times or more. So how many you can do in 25 minutes.

That way you are building your aerobic system including the capillary systems to bring oxygen to the muscle and to get rid of lactic acid.

You can also try some static exercise: bend legs (keeping head up, back straight) until thighs are parallel with the floor into a deep horse stance (keep knees over your feet). Hold the position for two or three minutes.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to go to gym and had planty of exercise for my legs. When I started doing Tai Chi I thought my legs (also due to my job, carrying big weights) were pretty strong and I actually could do the form (which requires low stances).
In the Tai Chi forum they suggested me to practice the horse stence and with my surprise I could barely reach 2 minutes.
I think holding a horse stence is the best exercise to have legs with high endurance. Moreover on the contrary of gym exercises this way you aim to have resistance, but not those muscles (which weight lifting gives you) ball shaped....alot of power but slow speed.
If you go to a gym talk to your trainer, accordind to the speed and range of your work out you can obtain long or ball shaped muscles, which for martial art I would suggest long muscles.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you thought about plyometrics? It involves a series of jumping exercises. Mostly would increase power and flexibility. If you do it fast enough, it would produce an aerobic benefit as well. Check out this link for more info. http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

FYI a mule kick is a jumping exercise. Stand with your feet together. Jump up and while you are up try to kick your own butt.

My two cents,
Walt

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
O.k. theres sorta a long story behind this question, so I wont get into it unless a couple people ask. But basicly I need training tips. Namely ways to build the strength of your legs (mostly the slow twich fibers) and cardio. The cardio is slightly less importent then the leg strength. Things I'm already doing (so there is no need to suggest): posture training, running/jogging, and sparring.
Mods feel free to move this were ever you like. I couldn't really think of a better place.
One word, Stances.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
FYI a mule kick is a jumping exercise. Stand with your feet together. Jump up and while you are up try to kick your own butt.

I believe the mule kick matt.m is talking about is done like this:

Start on hands and knees. Kick one leg out (like back kick) as high as you can and set it back down. Do the other leg. Repeat.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zdom: got it. I was hopeing to avoid doing more then 100 squats though (which is what I'm getting towards anyways). Sae la vie.
Kaer, yes I have. In the process of doing a google search, but I mostly end up finding some weird yoga/taichi/cardio kickboxing/weight training thing.
And to every one else, thanks for the imput. And I'll try both forms of mule kick.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try doing negatives, in addition to your regular routine. The eccentric portion of a lift is where the most muscular contraction takes place and therefore is the part of any exercise that generates an increase in strength.

Watch out for squats. They are a great way to develop a hernia. I have been there twice.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zdom: got it. I was hopeing to avoid doing more then 100 squats though (which is what I'm getting towards anyways). Sae la vie.
Kaer, yes I have. In the process of doing a google search, but I mostly end up finding some weird yoga/taichi/cardio kickboxing/weight training thing.
And to every one else, thanks for the imput. And I'll try both forms of mule kick.

Man, I do Tai Chi, and if you don't have endurance you can't last for a 108 movement form...

Latest Discussions