Breathing problems (chest vs. dan tien...)

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know someone who really has trouble with the breathing. She breathes into her chest, and if told or 'forced' to breathe into her diaphragm often feels dizzy.

I figure it's the exchange of O2 to CO2, where the CO2 is accumulating, then rising into her head, thus making her dizzy. Trouble is, nothing seems to work. She's tried pausing into the breathing to allow for stronger exchange, lengthening the exhale versus the inhale, and not 'forcing' the breath down but concentrating on the exhale part from the stomach.

She seems a little lost with it, and frankly, I am too! Not sure how to solve this one.

Any ideas?!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Don't worry about it and don't force it. Learn the form, relax and the breathing will follow.

My shigung's response, when asked about breathing, was always yes you should.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
She breathes into her chest, and if told or 'forced' to breathe into her diaphragm often feels dizzy.
There is tension in the breathing. Most likely caused by tension in the chest.

Trouble is, nothing seems to work. She's tried pausing into the breathing to allow for stronger exchange, lengthening the exhale versus the inhale, and not 'forcing' the breath down but concentrating on the exhale part from the stomach.
If the mind is steady and fixed the breath will naturally be steadied and fixed. Dan tian breathing is an artifical breathing method and is only one method of internal breathing exercise. An exercise that may help is being aware of the breath. Placing the hands one on chest and the other on Dan tian is one way,Hands on the upper rib cage,and on upper back is a great way to discover the breath and muscles involved in breathing. Sometimes taking to long of an inhale can cause dizziness,sometimes an exhale can cause it,even a pause depening how long. A popular breathing exercise is inhale 1234 pause 12 exhale 1234 pause 12. There are many types of breathing exercises and awareness it is important to know what you are doing and why.

OP
J

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, a few thoughts.

I find diaphragm breathing, not necessarily dan tien breathing, but downward breathing way more natural than chest breathing (and I used to chest breath). Chest naturally fills anyways.

Based on your answers, now I'm thinking that, when prompted, she's breathing TOO DEEPLY, which is causing her dizziness. She should probably just breath more naturally and not worry so much about it ------ an odd answer to an odd thing......

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Placing the hands one on chest and the other on Dan tian is one way,Hands on the upper rib cage,and on upper back is a great way to discover the breath and muscles involved in breathing.

This reminded me of a breathing exercise I was taught in yoga. But one hand on the stomach and one on the solar plexus. Breathe into the stomach then in to the solar plexus (move the hand from the stomach to the chest) breathe into the chest. Exhale from the chest then the solar plexus (move the hand form the chest to the stomach) then exhale from the stomach. This is very relaxed breathing. DO it about 3 times and then breathe normally for a bit then reverse it. Inhale into the chest, the solar plexus and then the stomach and then reverse that for exhale.

JDenver

One last note, many people when they first work with breathing in Qigong and Taijiquan try and inhale much more air than they should and expand their abdomen way to much. Just relax and breathe slow and comfortably. Do not force it and let it happen naturally. Like I said, form first and breathing will follow

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Based on your answers, now I'm thinking that, when prompted, she's breathing TOO DEEPLY, which is causing her dizziness. She should probably just breath more naturally and not worry so much about it ------ an odd answer to an odd thing......

One last note, many people when they first work with breathing in Qigong and Taijiquan try and inhale much more air than they should and expand their abdomen way to much. Just relax and breathe slow and comfortably. Do not force it and let it happen naturally. Like I said, form first and breathing will follow

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speaking about putting hands on parts to feel the breath.

I had one teacher who also did Yoga place his fingers on Lu-1 points and we were suppose to only use the muscles at Lu-1 to push his fingers really opens up the Lungs.

Another one involved pressing down on LV-13 to sink and relax the breath.

And finally the infamous cupping the ears which also helps relax the breath.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
if this person is experiencing hypoxia i would suggest that they get some advice and be examined by a physician soonest.

If it is something like COPD lowering the CO2 levels to much can stop breathing. Please consult a Physician.

any kind of respiratory distress should be looked at if it seems unusual in nature or severity! This kind of thing can be very very serious or not a problem. but get it checked out

Latest Discussions