Breaking Requirements for Testing Change

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you think if the breaking requirements that you were required to do changed for new people testing for 2nd dan? Considering that you had to practice/train alot to reach the previous requirements and they remain the same for you: required knife/concrete, double jump multiple break- jump back-2 &jump spinheel-1 two fingers, other side, throw up in the air speed break-1, chambered side-2.

It has been changed to: a flying side through 2 (previous break at 1st dan 3 bds), 2boards with each limb (4 breaks), 1 concrete any technique, l jump spin heel blindfolded. I would like whoever does breaking out there, your feelings and opinions on this. Thanks. TW

G

Gary Crawford

I hate when people change venue right before you're up!It sounds like a decent breaking package though.At least the concrete break is anything you want,so you can do the same as you have been practicing.I think eliminating the "throw up in the air speed break" is a mistake.The blindfolded jump spin will be the trick!

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I have already tested. I have the multiple jump left to do. These are requirements for other people testing after me, that I believe are easier. The blind fold jumpspinheel is actually pretty easy. I don't need my eyes to do that -its pretty much second nature to TKD people at least in our school. This test was made for a certain woman so she does not have to do knife/palm hand break or my multiple jump. The double boards can be done with a hopping side kick and forearm breaks-piece of cake don't you think? TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think requiring people to do any type of break is a little extreme. Requiring breaking is fine, but you cannot require certain breaks. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and breaking should reflect that. I would never make someone do a blindfolded break, or a jumping break, or a concrete break. I would go with their abilities and base the break on that. If someone wants to try it on their own for a test or demo that's fine, as long as they have shown that it is feasible given their abilities.
For example, requiring a jumping or flying break. Aerial techniques should showcase the ability to jump high in the air or long distances. If your best jumping technique is no more than head level, or you can't jump more than 3 feet horizontally, don't bother. Find another technique. Just make sure that technique is a good representation of what you are capable of.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I agree with michigan TKD breaking is a requirement for the school and should have in certain element to protect those that simply can't do the break. In all my years of teaching I have never held back a student simply because they can't break a brick with a knife hand, as you already know you can bake a brick for ever for anybody to break even a six year old can if the brick been baked for 36 hrs. and with a little force it cumbles like a piece of sand stone. The same for a broad so many tricks to make it seem they actually can break,not saying that is in your case, just remember instructors have the right to change requirements at anytime since there are no set guidelines to follow. I know no great help, but you should be very proud of your accomplimish,(misspelled) and gauge for yourself your on ability's.GOD BLESS AMERICA

T

TKD USA

That's thing with these test they always change something at the last minute.
Once when I was in the middle of a break and then my instructor changed it to something else, but luckily set time aside and work on every kick I have learned so I was ready. I'm not telling you to practe everything you have learned i'm just saying that it helped me.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I just hate it when they do that. I remember when our kwan switched from breaking 6" concrete slabs to 6" granite slabs and dropped the option of having spacers. I haven't been able to make through more than 4 or 5 ever since. Same goes for those aerial techniques. I still don't understand why we have to do three spinning kicks while jumping over 15 people when 10 has always been sufficient in the past. But the thing that really irritates me is that after training for so long to get my Ki-projection techniques to the point that I can easily move the standard 100# weight the required 40 feet from across the room, they have now moved that portion of the test to the parking lot and doubled both the weight and the required distance. Am I really bummed-out, or what?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think everyone except Terry lost the point or I didn't make it clear enough. This is my dilemma: I have been trying to break a multiple jump break for a year+ to complete my 2nd dan requirements-already tested.
Doesn't really look like I'm going to make it unless I get a miracle.

For FUTURE testers, they are being given easier breaks, much easier IMO, is it in yours? (read back)

I was given an option [as a default really because others will do those in Feb] that I can choose to do the blindfold JSH, not difficult at all. Would you take the option? Would you feel you had accomplished 2nd dan if you were me? I somehow cannot take the option NOW not after all this time. He could have offered it to me after a month of constantly trying it but didn't. He has offered easy breaks to others within two weeks but made me go 15 months. At least if I broke it, I would know that I got no "easy breaks" like others and have earned it -passed at least- as those that have gone before me. ??? TW

I

ipscshooter

TigerWoman said:
I was given an option [as a default really because others will do those in Feb] that I can choose to do the blindfold JSH, not difficult at all. Would you take the option? Would you feel you had accomplished 2nd dan if you were me? I somehow cannot take the option NOW not after all this time. He could have offered it to me after a month of constantly trying it but didn't. He has offered easy breaks to others within two weeks but made me go 15 months. At least if I broke it, I would know that I got no "easy breaks" like others and have earned it -passed at least- as those that have gone before me. ??? TW
If your instructor believes that you have earned your 2nd Dan based on the blindfold break rather than the previously required break, then you have earned it. You may think the blindfold break is easier, but for others, it may not be. Your curriculum sounds quite difficult. I'd do whatever break the instructor required of me and be proud of the accomplishment.

G

Galvatron

For 2nd Dan and up you make up your own kicking combination for your break. There are set hand techniques though (speed knife hand through 3 boards for 2nd, speed knife hand through 2 red bricks for 3rd, speed ridgehand through 4 boards for 4th)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it is not taking the easy way if you do the break you feel comfortable with that shows you have mastered it. It is taking the easy way out by either staying with the tried and true despite having had time to try something else, OR picking easier break when you know full well you could have done the harder one.
A friend of mine did take the easy way out. He did the same break two testings in a row (3rd and 4th Dan) rather than try something new because he didn't want to work and experiment. Unfortunately, he consistantly takes the easy way out.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I think everyone except Terry lost the point or I didn't make it clear enough. This is my dilemma: I have been trying to break a multiple jump break for a year+ to complete my 2nd dan requirements-already tested.
Doesn't really look like I'm going to make it unless I get a miracle.

For FUTURE testers, they are being given easier breaks, much easier IMO, is it in yours? (read back)

Your right tiger I lost the point, if your instructor is going to let you change the break then by all means do the blindfold break for your 2nd dan, you have earned your rank for everything else you have done. Changing breaks does not mean you do not deserve that rank. Sorry for the wrong insight. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What would you think if the breaking requirements that you were required to do changed for new people testing for 2nd dan? Considering that you had to practice/train alot to reach the previous requirements and they remain the same for you: required knife/concrete, double jump multiple break- jump back-2 &jump spinheel-1 two fingers, other side, throw up in the air speed break-1, chambered side-2.

It has been changed to: a flying side through 2 (previous break at 1st dan 3 bds), 2boards with each limb (4 breaks), 1 concrete any technique, l jump spin heel blindfolded. I would like whoever does breaking out there, your feelings and opinions on this. Thanks. TW
This just means you are old school. Your instructors priorities and focus are going to change as the years go by. Try not to look down on the students with lesser requirements because they are victims of circumstance, and had nothing personaly to do with the change up. Just about everyblack belt on this forum is oldschool for some reason or another. Some leave and try to recapture what they once had with their own schools and others stay to be part of the evolvment, and clearly recognize the positives and the negatives inherant in both. Just remember, what you learned was new school at one point and there are a bunch of oldtimers shaking there heads at how easy you had it. :uhyeah:
Sean

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
This just means you are old school. Your instructors priorities and focus are going to change as the years go by. Try not to look down on the students with lesser requirements because they are victims of circumstance, and had nothing personaly to do with the change up. Just about everyblack belt on this forum is oldschool for some reason or another. Some leave and try to recapture what they once had with their own schools and others stay to be part of the evolvment, and clearly recognize the positives and the negatives inherant in both. Just remember, what you learned was new school at one point and there are a bunch of oldtimers shaking there heads at how easy you had it. :uhyeah:
Sean

Sean, what if a student did have something to do with the change? A now 1st dan woman has had three easier breaks up til now. I believe because she didn't train/practice knife hand or palm for 1st degree and she's coming up on her test and hasn't practiced anything for 2nd. She's an in-law with the master. The test was changed FOR her. Everybody else would have an easy time with the old set. Did I say the master was also passing me over so she teachs women and kids. I don't mind that she teaches but the way he has obviously prevented me from teaching and asking underbelts right in front of me, I do mind. And there are no higher belts except for two, they all seem to leave....
So I should be happy with easy requirements, I'm thinking about it, but somehow I think I failed. The 2nd dan, unless I do it the hard way, becomes worthless because the new way is easier than the 1st dan test. TW

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

I've seen similar things at the school I go to. Is it fair? No. But what am I going to do about it? As an orange belt my options are to suck it up and focus on my goals or leave. I chose to suck it up because I will probably find it similar elsewhere.

There was a lady and her two daughters (relatives to the master) who were going for yellow belt at the same time as me. A week before the test it was obvious they were not ready. One of the daughters had not fulfilled the time requirements. They didn't show up for the test. A week later they had their yellow belts and I haven't seen them since. All I know is I earned mine.

There is one girl (nice looking) that tested for BB a few weeks ago that was exempt from a lot of the requirements because she had injured her ankle. On her pre test six month earlier she stepped out to see to her child, who was perfectly content sleeping on a freinds shoulder, when the going got tough. Looks like a trend to me.

I could say "well she must have proved she could do it before she injured herself" but I'm not so sure. I participated in a couple classes with her when I was a yellow belt and she was a red belt. She had more difficulty with the footwork than I did, and I'm not that good at it.

There is one BB girl that has really bad form. I'd don't know how she made it to BB.

I just hope that I will continue to be able to test and earn my belts. There may be a time when I can't do a portion of the requirements due to my physical limitations. Hopefully they will allow substitutions, but I still want to earn it.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
just remember instructors have the right to change requirements at anytime since there are no set guidelines to follow. I know no great help, but you should be very proud of your accomplimish,(misspelled) and gauge for yourself your on ability's.GOD BLESS AMERICA

I meant that I thought you really did see my intent and you did have good advice. I feel you are right that an instructor has a right to change requirements. However my master's timing doesn't help me after doing this for 14 months but does help another considerably. It would have been easier to accept if he had changed MY requirements after struggling a couple of months instead of the general requirements for all the testing black belts AFTER me. IMO, too much, partiality. TW

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Doughboy said:

I just hope that I will continue to be able to test and earn my belts. There may be a time when I can't do a portion of the requirements due to my physical limitations. Hopefully they will allow substitutions, but I still want to earn it.

Yes, I have seen alot of that too. But I figured alot of those who get breaks would get better along the way after all that training. Once, when I was a blue belt, I had an early morning test. Being 40 something then, 8:30 was not a good time for me to spar. I felt I had failed my sparring so the following class I told him I wanted to retest. He just laughed at me and said he couldn't do that! The point being he would have to retest everyone on their weaknessses. It comes down to how much you work, if you work little, you get little result as black belt. I've always gone to 7-8 classes 1-2 hrs. each a week up until this last year. But I feel that when you get to the black belt test, especially after busting your butt/hand and everything else training it is hardly fair when others don't and get promoted because they are an in-law to 2nd. Especially when it was a personal vendetta to not let me advance. I feel like I have to take the high road/harder road if I want to make this an issue of integrity. Besides I wouldn't feel I earned it so why have an extra stripe then-it means nothing. For that matter that is when belts cease to matter. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What would you think if the breaking requirements that you were required ........

To be honest I think breaking has it's place. It does have some merit to it. However, I personally believe that breaking shouldn't be required to pass a belt. Again, that's my own opinion. If a person can do all requirements then why should one be held back because they don't do a breaking technique? :idunno: It's stupid. Quite a long time ago I watched one of my closest friends preparing for a tourn. in the breaking competition. During his practice of breaking 5 2" cyinder blocks he went through them but some of the pieces fell on top of his hand. It broke a couple of bones in his hand and obviously had to postpone his martial arts practice until he healed up. At this point I said to my head instructor I was not going to be doing any more breaking and if he needed to ask me to leave the school then he could do so. Again, point is; if someone can do the kicks, punches, strikes, blocks, stances, forms, pass the verbal exam, why should they not be given a promotion??????????????

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because its PERSONAL. He doesn't want me there let alone get rank.

For 1st Dan, I tore my foot up doing the flying side through three boards. I tore my shoulder, damaged a nerve and resulted in a numb left arm for a month doing a palm through one concrete abeit unknowingly very hard. My hand, my left, was not my writing hand and therefore had to be trained, was black and blue for a year, I kid you not, from constant practice on rebreakables to get to the knife hand/concrete for my 2nd Dan test which he insisted both my 17 yr. daughter and I do. But for all my training--mostly on the total gym and doing sets and sets of 400 total pushups each day, I can only do 50 guys pushups now. The other woman who will be testing, can do T-Bar pushups balancing on a the end of a metal T and doing guys pushups. But she wimps out doing palm or knife because she doesn't PRACTICE-that hurts-and gets out of it completely for her 2nd dan test just because she and he are both new grandparents-not married. Oh she says she has weak wrists.. Whats wrong with that picture. TW

Latest Discussions