breaking down a fight

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, this sucks. I can't post a video. (is there a way to) Anyways, the point of this post is to try and break down what strategies and if you want to go into detail what techniques you would use against this fighter in this clip.

There are many fights in this clip, the particular fight I'm refering to is at 7:38 seconds to the end. Its the fight in slow motion.

I've been sitting here analyzing the clip to get over some of weaknesses and figured why not put this clip before my kung fu brothers. The guy in black (shirt) is really fast and tricky. (That last round house punch was sweet. ) He is also very elusive.

Question again is:
1) what would you do differently from what the losing opponent was doing.
2) what strategies would you employ?
3) if you want to what techniques against which moves (specify) would you use?

lets have fun with this.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Question again is:

First, I want to point out that I'm a kenpo fighter, so my answers are colored by my own experience.

1. Be a better fighter. The loser is clearly outmatched in this fight. His stances are unstable, his hands are undisciplined, and he fails to use distance and angles to his advantage. That doesn't make him a bad fighter, or a bad person, but it is clear that his opponent is simply better.

2. First, I'd recognize that the winner in this match has one combination of strikes that he uses repeatedly. Jab, cross, roundhouse kick. Nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't vary it up much. Occasionally he varies the level of the roundhouse from mid to high, or vice versa, but that's pretty much extant of his adjustments. Once you understand that, you can pretty easily predict the flow of his attacks.

Secondly, I'd set up my strikes and use more combinations. The loser tends to throw one isolated technique, unsuccessfully, and then pause. That is what lead directly to him eating that spinning backnuckle at 9:25. His opponent knew he'd throw one isolated roundhouse kick, and so he just stepped in and hit him with the spinning strike.

Thirdly, I'd keep my hands much more disciplined. He throws wide strikes, he keeps his hands in the same zone, and on occasion, he even lets his head get in front of his hands. You're shield can't protect you if you run out in front of it.

Lastly, I'd use my stances better. He squares up to his opponent a lot. In fighting, I always see this as an open opportunity to punish my opponent. Front kicks, side kicks, and body punches. If he's going to give me the broad side of a barn, I'm going to hit it. When he squares with his opponent he not only makes himself more vulnerable, he also diminishes his potential striking power, his mobility, and his deceptiveness. Bladed stances exist for a reason.

Ultimately though, all these are the basic instructions I would give to a beginner sparring student. The winner in this match doesn't seem supremely skilled. He throws one basic combination repeatedly, he only moves in a linear fashion, and he swings out wide on several of his lead hand strikes, leaving his face and body open to counterstrikes. Any decent intermediate student should be able to defeat him. He won this fight because he was more aggressive, and his opponent was even worse.

3. The first thing I'd do is move circularly. Both fighters only move forward and back. One of the first things I taught my students was circle walking. All of our fighters learned to move circularly and use angles to their advantage. By moving only forward and back they eliminate any opportunity they would have to use angles offensively or defensively.

Next I'd vary my techniques much more. Are knee or elbow strikes allowed? What about guard or leg sweeps? It seems kicks to the legs were allowed, what about strikes to the opponent's arms? I'm going to assume that grappling, either stand up or ground, was illegal in this competition, although some of the earlier fights did demonstrate those techniques. Assuming then that only striking was allowed here, I'd focus on combinations. High and low. Inside and outside. Circular and linear. Those techniques have to be set up if you want them to be successful.

Specifically, I'd counter his jabs and crosses with a front thrust kick, and I'd move inside his roundhouse kick with hand strikes. Are kicks to the groin allowed? Some of those high roundhouse kicks are begging for a hard kick to the jewels. Once he eats one or two of those, he'll be a lot less aggressive.

Speaking of aggression, in my experience when a fighter is very aggressive, he usually is used to people reacting by backing away. If you move in instead, you can often throw an aggressive fighter off his game. Many of them spend so much time on offense due to their aggressive style, that their defense is sloppy at best. This seems to be the case in this fight, as the winner demonstrates little use of evasive or defensive technique.

In the end, this seems like a fight between two relatively low level fighters. One was better, and spoiler alert, he won. A well trained fighter with good combinations and use of angles, as well as stance and hand discipline, would be able to eat either of these two alive.

-Rob

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
also not directly a kung fu guy here.

both guys dropped their hands alot. i would have been much busier with my punching. there was one point where the winner dropped his hand almost to his hip before throwing a hook. that would have been a perfect time for a straight right.

his initial charge could have been seriously disrupted by some low kicks. there's a point where he runs in then kind of hesitates while holding a really wide stance. that would have been a great time for a thigh kick.

he also leaned back quite a bit on some of his kicks. that would have been a good time to cut-kick his supporting leg or step in & punch.

toward the end it looked like the losing fighter was just charging in blindly & everything got pretty sloppy. i like to lay back & take shots while people close.

but it's all so easy when you're looking at youtube from your chair. props to both guys for stepping in & fighting.

jf

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First, I want to point out that I'm a kenpo fighter, so my answers are colored by my own experience.
[\quote]

Man, thanks for the post. Everyone can learn from strategies whether it be from kenpo, tkd or WC. Onwards...

1. His stances are unstable, his hands are undisciplined, and he fails to use distance and angles to his advantage.

His footwork definitely didn't help him.

2. First, I'd recognize that the winner in this match has one combination of strikes that he uses repeatedly. Jab, cross, roundhouse kick. Nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't vary it up much. Occasionally he varies the level of the roundhouse from mid to high, or vice versa, but that's pretty much extant of his adjustments. Once you understand that, you can pretty easily predict the flow of his attacks.
nice.

The loser tends to throw one isolated technique, unsuccessfully, and then pause. That is what lead directly to him eating that spinning backnuckle at 9:25. His opponent knew he'd throw one isolated roundhouse kick, and so he just stepped in and hit him with the spinning strike.

Exactly... This is what made it a little frustrating to watch. lol. He just stood there eating punches and kicks. He really rooted himself in his stance, and that made it hard for him to either move in or out. I believe if you are going to eat punches, it should be as a sacrifice for a higher goal. Don't just stand there and take punishment. lol.

You're shield can't protect you if you run out in front of it.
hahaha.

Ultimately though, all these are the basic instructions I would give to a beginner sparring student.
Yeah man, still there are a lot of basic things/common sense that people reject unless they trully understand its use. You can tell someone water is good for you, but would the person truly understand why water is good for him. For example, in sparring I would continually eat punches because my mobility was horrible. I'd been taught ages ago to move at an angle, but it didn't really sink in until after a couple of beatings in sparring, and me sitting down thinking for a while, thinking how the hell do i avoid those shots.

Any decent intermediate student should be able to defeat him. He won this fight because he was more aggressive, and his opponent was even worse.

he is fast, strong and good with fakes. That goes a long way. In full speed, without a good strategy one will take a whole lot of hits from this guy.

3. The first thing I'd do is move circularly. Both fighters only move forward and back.

love this point... footwork is very important.

In the end, this seems like a fight between two relatively low level fighters. One was better, and spoiler alert, he won.
True.

Thanks for the post Thesemindz.

also not directly a kung fu guy here.

no worries. Everyones welcome to post.

both guys dropped their hands alot.

very true.

his initial charge could have been seriously disrupted by some low kicks. there's a point where he runs in then kind of hesitates while holding a really wide stance. that would have been a great time for a thigh kick.

nice

he also leaned back quite a bit on some of his kicks. that would have been a good time to cut-kick his supporting leg or step in & punch.
not that easy to do but a sweet strategy. Its a strategy i would sacrifice eating a few punches for to acheive myself.

toward the end it looked like the losing fighter was just charging in blindly.
yeah he was done by then.
but it's all so easy when you're looking at youtube from your chair. props to both guys for stepping in & fighting.
jf

agreed. thats why i hope people will keep this as realistic as possible. Its the reason i asked for strategies especially. Techniques are a hit or miss in a fight, but strategies gives you a game plan... helps you focus on the right thing.

Thanks for posting fellows.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are many different scenarios but a lot depends on your opponent

The bare basics always help

ie if you can hit hard, then you will do well

Most people in a streetfight always try and grab/clinch you. They might start off with a strike, but when that fails or misses or lose balance they will grab at you

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are many different scenarios but a lot depends on your opponent

The bare basics always help

ie if you can hit hard, then you will do well

Most people in a streetfight always try and grab/clinch you. They might start off with a strike, but when that fails or misses or lose balance they will grab at you

True. Basics are important, however with good strategy you can slay a giant as an smaller person. Think war. This is why I asked for peoples strategies mainly, and if they desire specific techniques (although techniques change... strategy is constant.)

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This guy was way out matched. He actually looked as if he doesn't even spar that much, if not at all. When comes to strategy, I would be intercepting him, cutting him off, like good wing chun teaches you. I would have waited, then countered by moving in and smothering him with centerline attacks. The guy that won used very wide and round striking, giving us chunners the perfect opportunity to cut into the center and destroy.

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I watched the fight again and noticed that the swings from the dominate fighter were not exactly very wide, but they mostly came from the outside and could be cut into easily by wing chun fighter. If the opponent gives up the center, thats when we shine.

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This guy was way out matched. He actually looked as if he doesn't even spar that much, if not at all.

lol. The thing is that was the final fight in the competition so he probably does know how to fight. I think he was overwhelmed by the pressure the other guy exerted on him. This is why i think fighting is also mental. No matter what happens you must think calming and react accordingly. Do not stop moving, which he did as soon as he was hit.

I like watching a dissecting clips like this because I'm thinking of competing in a lei tai competition this may, if my knee heals up well.

When comes to strategy, I would be intercepting him, cutting him off, like good wing chun teaches you. I would have waited, then countered by moving in and smothering him with centerline attacks. The guy that won used very wide and round striking, giving us chunners the perfect opportunity to cut into the center and destroy.

absolutely right JGreber.

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you are exactly right dnovice. That guy got stunned and lost his concentration. When he got hit, he lost his ability to keep up with the rythym of the fight. As you know, when you get hit, you have to keep your focus. I also think he was out matched. I watched the whole video this time and saw the fight earlier in the video in regular speed and could tell that the guy had sparred before, but in slow mo it just looked really bad. The guys reaction timing was off, probably because he kept getting hit! lol!

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched the whole video this time and saw the fight earlier in the video in regular speed and could tell that the guy had sparred before, but in slow mo it just looked really bad. The guys reaction timing was off, probably because he kept getting hit! lol!

:hammer: so true man. lol.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice moves. Great clips. In order for the losing contestant to have a chance against the speed of the guy in black, he needs to slow down and take greater care. Man, did you see him go down on the backfist...hardcore

Nice mat setup!

j

Latest Discussions