Gaps in Wing Chun system

barriecusvein

Green Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
A perfect example of this is the current trend for "contemporary """"Masters""""" to supplement their Wing chun curriculum with kickboxing and BJJ because of supposed gaps in the system, without realising that Wing Chun has an answer for both of these situations, its just that the goals it has are not what is generally deemed acceptable, and indeed they are hard to master, but not impossible.
This was posted in the JKD forum and got me thinking: what are the appropriate techniques to use against a grappler?

Obviously you don't want the fight to go to the floor where they hold the advantage, but thats easier said than done. I would use the split second when they go for the takedown (assuming the fight gets this far) as the time to strike or move out of the way, but unless you can win the fight with a few strikes as they tackle then they have you down.

Similarly, it is very difficult to dodge a tackle from close range, and if you fail they have you down again.

Anybody have any ideas or thoughts on good WC techniques to use?

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, you must be some kind of a master to challenge Grapplers of UFC, because these guys are trained to fight against gravity, and they are much more better than any Wing Chun person in the ground. I mean that they can handle ground situations to their favour. So as a Wing Chun guy what should I do?, Give up?!.

Of course no, In Wing Chun we have a solution for most of the problems. To prevent such a ground situation. A Wing Chun trainer must be very fast to avoid grappling. That's why I said that you have to be like a master to avoid proffesional grapplers. My instructor told that Master Emin Boztepe. among all the fights he had, never been forced to the ground by his opponents.

I think that training hard solves the speed issue, as training modifies a trainer nerve reflexes to avoid such a grab.
Regarding attacking, there are some special anti-grappling techniques that are introduced in the system. Also to remember that there are other moves for anti-locks when facing Aikido trainers.

the main thing is that if you were fast enough, you can punch your oppenent neck or use Bui Tze concepts to finish the fight before it even starts (Simplicity concepts).

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Yipman has highlighted a key factor: quickness. The speed of not only hand/body coordination but also perception. In the confines of the UFC, these 'takedowns' are very common, and can be trained for. But on the street we should be very careful to avoid this possibility, personally i believe stances are very important, but not in the sense of being rigid. But due to the unpredictable nature of fighting one should also be light on the feet!

The natural movements of the body should be enough to use an opponents strength against themselves. This is because they are making the first move, and one should invariably yield to this first contact and use it for their own benefit.

This of course depends on the practitioner we all have our opinions, and strongpoints, but what of our weaknesses? We need to ask some questions about our training and what we are prepared for; is my hand speed good enough, is my front kick solid and quick, or the stance, is it strong.

Best wishes.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yep use your feet ;)

Redirection and mobility play a fundamental role with a newer Wing Chun practicioner, however with an older more experiance player who has developed the proper SLT energy, you will find there is tremenous power in that energy which can take care of the situation. The Sui Lum Tao energy acts as leverage, that properly trained can yield a tremendous amount of power, which is why a 5 foot nothing guy can dispense with a 6'6" guy who weighs 200 pounds, simply through the SLT energy, when this is combined with the CK and the BJ energy, you will find an amazing power set come into play. The best thing to do to start of with (until you have developed this energy) is to try to practice against grapplers and learn how to evade, as well as redirect. And in the meantime focus on a well developed SLT doing it 10 times a day, making sure to concentrate on the "Kim" as this is the centre point for the development of the SLT energy.