Boy missing for 4 years found!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boys' case rare among abductions:

KIRKWOOD, Mo. - The safe return of two kidnapped boys — one missing for four days, the other for four years — is being heralded as nothing short of a miracle by their families.

Parents of the now-15-year-old Shawn Hornbeck and 13-year-old Ben Ownby on Saturday told of their tearful reunions, hugs and the almost unbelievable discovery of the boys in a tiny apartment in a St. Louis suburb on Friday.

The sons smiled often by their parents’ sides at separate news conferences, but were told not to answer questions. Police said they could not discuss details of their investigation of 41-year-old Michael Devlin, who was jailed on $1 million bond on a kidnapping charge and could face more charges before an arraignment later this week.

Full article

My chin is still in my lap about this case. It's just amazing the Akers boy is still living.

I also think it's vital that we learn about cases like this and study the fear-weapon used by abductors and analyze its use in abusive relationships.

So happy these boys are home.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This might be cold but can we dispense with the costly trial and take the guy out behind the courthouse and dispose of him!

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a sad point I grew up with this guy and his brothers we called him devo.When I knew him well he was not strangenormal guy matter of fact we all worked at the pizza place together. I do believe that we could despence with all the money we are about to throw out the window and off him.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
to Shesulsa and others

I was relieved to see your original post about this.

you are right on track. knowing more about this man's success means understanding that physical force is only one part of his ability to control victims, sometimes the smallest part. Anyone working on SD, self protection and assault prevention shouldn't be surprised by these events. Sadly, while lots of instructors endlessly debate and refine defenses against chokes, blitz attacks etc., actual predators rarely go to those tactics very much (altho some certainly do). Their sucess comes with other strategies. I wish more 'experts' were willing to face this.

NPR (radio) is doing an hour on this issue tomorrow afternoon (Thursday) on 'Talk of the Nation'. I hope you can catch it. Maybe we can get some others involved after hearing that discussion. Anyway, thanks for your post.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone working on SD, self protection and assault prevention shouldn't be surprised by these events. Sadly, while lots of instructors endlessly debate and refine defenses against chokes, blitz attacks etc., actual predators rarely go to those tactics very much (altho some certainly do). Their sucess comes with other strategies. I wish more 'experts' were willing to face this.

You know, Iv'e often thought about this... the kind of fear element it would take to control someone to the point that they would stick around... it boggles my mind...

And because of that... a quick disposal of the Perp is a poor idea...

He needs to be taken, studied, his brain picked apart, his tactics learned, his victims need to be able to recount what tormented them... we need ALL that information, so that we, as Martial Artists, can counter that fear in our students... so heaven forbid it ever happens to them, they can simply walk away when they have the chance, knowing he/she has no power over them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This might be cold but can we dispense with the costly trial and take the guy out behind the courthouse and dispose of him!

Hell, the LE community would have NO PROBLEM with that..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cryozombie said:
And because of that... a quick disposal of the Perp is a poor idea...He needs to be taken, studied, his brain picked apart, his tactics learned, his victims need to be able to recount what tormented them... we need ALL that information, so that we, as Martial Artists, can counter that fear in our students... so heaven forbid it ever happens to them, they can simply walk away when they have the chance, knowing he/she has no power over them.

While I understanding your sound reasoning I disagree..A public display like they did with Saddam would send a stronger message to those comtemplating a similar act.."Mess with our kids and you DIE"..

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, Iv'e often thought about this... the kind of fear element it would take to control someone to the point that they would stick around... it boggles my mind...

And because of that... a quick disposal of the Perp is a poor idea...

He needs to be taken, studied, his brain picked apart, his tactics learned, his victims need to be able to recount what tormented them... we need ALL that information, so that we, as Martial Artists, can counter that fear in our students... so heaven forbid it ever happens to them, they can simply walk away when they have the chance, knowing he/she has no power over them.
It's what we've called "battered wife syndrome." Through a series of intimidation tactics and brainwashing techiques it's easy to turn a mind into a captive one.

I'm guessing this kid might not have known (at first, anyway) exactly how far away he was from home.

Then, think about the 11-year-old mind ... it's angry, lashing out, negating parents' wishes and defying rules.

Now the reports are saying the boys this man took were abducted at gunpoint. For those of you who have been on the wrong side of a gun before having any training, do you remember how that felt? Imagine the young adolescent mind wrapping itself around that.

There's much to be said for the hypnotic effect this kind of mind control can have - it drove so very many to drink the KoolAid and move to the caves ....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's what we've called "battered wife syndrome." Through a series of intimidation tactics and brainwashing techiques it's easy to turn a mind into a captive one.

I've seen ALOT of that in the many domestics I've responded..The victim actually believes that they WILL NOT survive without the abuser in their lives..Sad...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen ALOT of that in the many domestics I've responded..The victim actually believes that they WILL NOT survive without the abuser in their lives..Sad...

Is that why they were saying on the news that the boy wanted to go back to live with his captor?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Law Enforcement..I'm just too lazy to type the whole title out...Sorry...

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the parents allowing this boy to go on Oprah just a couple of days after being found? Stunning. :mad:

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the parents allowing this boy to go on Oprah just a couple of days after being found? Stunning. :mad:
I can't possibly know what they were thinking or why they did this. Perhaps to lend hope to the otherwise hopeless? Nevertheless, I can't imagine what it would be like to be missing for so long and to finally be found and then paraded about for all to see. I wonder what his therapist(s) will have to say about that.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't possibly know what they were thinking or why they did this (went on Oprah)

I may be cynical, but I'm thinking it was a combination of

15 minutes of fame

and

$

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Poor kid must be going through hell just now. Can't beleive that his folks would put him on a chat show! If all they wanted to do was give people hope, then surely a home video of the family would do rather than a live audience?! Seems that would be a much less stressful and controlled environment for the boy.

Interesting case though, I don't know much about these situations but the buzz words here are "Stokholm Syndrome" relating to those people held at gunpoint in the bank years ago and forming a bond with their captors.

I truely hope that the lad is able to return to some sort of normality quickly before he is scarred any further. Best wishes to the family.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It's called due process, kid, it's there for a reason. I can't imagine the case would be that prolonged, anyway.

As for parading the kids around on Oprah, there may be some psychological reasons the parents decided to do it other than fame, but I still don't agree with doing that. Glad to hear the kids were found, I know it's an exception rather than the norm among abduction cases. Kudos for whoever found them.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in St. L, so it is an amazing deal in this area. As it should be.