Missing 2 days, 5-year-old found alive

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Missing 2 days, 5-year-old found alive
By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 59 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/girl_river_search
MOMENCE, Ill. - A 5-year-old girl who was feared drowned with her grandfather on a boating trip startled searchers Friday when she emerged from the woods — naked, scratched and holding raspberries.
Crews had pulled her grandfather's body from the Kankakee River in eastern Illinois just hours earlier.
"People were like, 'Who's that little girl? That can't be her, can it?'" Kankakee Sheriff's Chief Deputy Ken McCabe said. "I went up to her (and) asked, 'How you doing? What's your name?'"
When authorities told Hannah Klamecki's family — already grieving the loss of her grandfather — that she was alive, the home erupted in screaming.
Hannah was taken to a hospital as a precaution. She slept with her parents and a teddy bear at her side before being released. Cradling the bear, she spoke freely of her ordeal Friday evening.
"I was scared last night when everybody was gone," she said. "I went searching all over the world to look for the cottage (where her grandparents live)."
Hannah had scratches on her face and body and thick dirt under her nails. She had poison ivy rashes on her legs and couldn't walk because splinters and thorns cut her feet.
Hannah and her grandfather, David Klamecki, 62, were last seen Wednesday evening on the river near Momence, about 45 miles south of Chicago.
Authorities believe the river current swept the girl away from a small island where she and her grandfather had stopped to swim and to the shore of the mainland where she eventually was found.
She told searchers she was wearing floats on her arms and pulled herself from the water with a branch.
"That's a tough little girl, I tell you," McCabe said.
Hannah said she had taken off her bathing suit because it was muddy and itchy, friends of the family said.
She was also a bit dehydrated and "very, very tired," said Riverside Medical Center in Kankakee spokesman Carl Maronich.
Remarkable and a miracle if I ever read one. Tough doesn't begin to describe this girl.
Teaching even the simplest of survival techniques to small children can make a world of difference.
Tricia Little, a close family friend of Hannah's parents, said David Klamecki taught the girl and her two younger sisters about the outdoors. She credits that instruction — and God — with Hannah's survival.
The girl is fortunate not to have run upon a pack of coyotes who would've sensed easy prey.

. (for the grandfather who died)

Attachments

• $5 YR OLD 01.jpg
    $5 YR OLD 01.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 126
  • $5 YR OLD 02.jpg
    $5 YR OLD 02.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 129

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow... what a lucky little girl.

My condolences to her family on the loss of their father/grandfather.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kudos to the girl.

. :asian: for the loss of her grandfather.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was a great story! Really amazing that she knew what to do. Kudos to her and her parents for teaching her!

(for the grandfather)

Latest Discussions