Boxing for self defense and confidence?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the most revered personalities alive in TKD today, GrandMaster Cho, He Il spoke about western boxing in his book Man of Contrasts. That alone, is enough for me.

But, I also have a friend who was a golden gloves boxer (amateur). I can say this -- its hard to punch a boxer, much harder than I would think. They can avoid the punch very adeptly! No joke!

Also as was said before, you can try western boxing. IF IT FITS YOUR PERSONALITY, then go for it, you have found a good fit! If not, then you must search more. Its like trying to find the perfect mate!!! Once you find your match though, that is great!!!
It's hard to punch a boxer...and even harder to HURT a boxer.....anyone who has learned to go multiple rounds of someone punching them in the head in body has learned how to take a punch.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let me say that it probably won't be long before you feel some benefit in going. Ease into it and have fun. Good luck!

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's hard to punch a boxer...and even harder to HURT a boxer.....anyone who has learned to go multiple rounds of someone punching them in the head in body has learned how to take a punch.

Yes....body shots.....owwww.....

:)

Boxing is very good. I'm doing a bit now, and there's lots I take away from it, all the time.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the most revered personalities alive in TKD today, GrandMaster Cho, He Il spoke about western boxing in his book Man of Contrasts. That alone, is enough for me.

But, I also have a friend who was a golden gloves boxer (amateur). I can say this -- its hard to punch a boxer, much harder than I would think. They can avoid the punch very adeptly! No joke!

Also as was said before, you can try western boxing. IF IT FITS YOUR PERSONALITY, then go for it, you have found a good fit! If not, then you must search more. Its like trying to find the perfect mate!!! Once you find your match though, that is great!!!

Hello, You are right...it is harder to strike a boxer ...those who sparr with partners that have boxing backgrounds..plus the have more experiece in the fighting part...timing,endurance,footwork,avoidance,more techniqual skills,and on and on!

To learn to fight? ...one needs to fight to learn! ...any martial artist who practice against boxers? ...learns real fast how boxers are quick and hard to hit....remember a boxer can learn to kick too!...it is the boxing skills that takes time to develop...

Only way it learn is actual "fighting"!

Aloha, (I hate sparring against boxers...I get licking all the time!) ..until I poking in the eye? ...just kidding

Latest Discussions