body training that meets these needs.

Niah

White Belt
Reaction score
first of all, i'm a girl.

and i want to know if there is a way to train that will let me maintain a thin body without being "weak" ?

even though i find nothing wrong about it, i personally don't want to have a manly body like this.

strong_muscular_women_sw201.jpg

so if anyone knows a way that'll let me train to become thin and fit without being bulky muscular, that would be great. thanks.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You aren't going to look like the picture above with out some "help". Focus on eating right, lifting weights and cardio work and you can become as muscular and lean as your body type will allow you to be. To give you more specific advice than that is hard without knowing more about you and what exactly your goals are, but don't think that lifting weights is going to give you a manly body.

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's hard for women to become manly. You have to have a genetic predisposition to muscle development, and you have to train real hard and supplement heavily to look like that. I wouldn't worry.

OP
N

Niah

White Belt
Reaction score
i see, thanks.

also, is there a way of training to make shoulder/chest(not breast) size smaller?

backfront.jpg

the arrows point at what should be minimized.

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that? I've just never heard of anyone wanting to make their shoulder/chest size smaller, especially since broader shoulders and chest can make the waist look smaller and balance out the hips giving a woman more of that "hourglass" shape.

OP
N

Niah

White Belt
Reaction score
i'm short, so a hourglass figure would be weird on me.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that? I've just never heard of anyone wanting to make their shoulder/chest size smaller, especially since broader shoulders and chest can make the waist look smaller and balance out the hips giving a woman more of that "hourglass" shape.
I think you are looking at the image incorrectly. She is showing a bad side profile. I think she is saying that she is barrel shaped with the back and sholders making her rounded in the upper torso.

No my dear your rib cage is just shaped the way it is and you must live with that. I think I understand what you are saying.

OP
N

Niah

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks ATC, i was wondering if there was some training to press in the ribs. i guess there are none.

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, that makes more sense. ATC is correct in that you won't be able to change your basic body shape, but how is your posture? Bad posture can make the upper body look rounder, so if there are any improvements you can make in that area, it may help with the overall look of your shoulders and chest.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I come from and am in, a bodybuilding back ground, as Laurentkd correctly stated, you will not get a body like that without some serious “help”. The body you pictured required many, many, many years of strict weight training and nutrition, combined with some serious “supplements”. Don’t sweat weight training, it will make you look amazing when combined with cardio and proper nutrition.

As bekkilyn said, you always want wider shoulders, because it narrows the waist. Bodybuilding and hence ones physical appearance is an illusion of shape. Wide shoulders, narrow waist, larger quads, will all give you a desired male appearance. Believe it or not it’s, generally not much different for woman.

You can never go wrong with a good weight training program.

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ken is right. Just make sure that when you weight train, stick with lighter weight and more reps. It will "tone" rather than "grow." Do some research, there are a lot of resources in this area online.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first of all, i'm a girl.

and i want to know if there is a way to train that will let me maintain a thin body without being "weak" ?

even though i find nothing wrong about it, i personally don't want to have a manly body like this.

strong_muscular_women_sw201.jpg

so if anyone knows a way that'll let me train to become thin and fit without being bulky muscular, that would be great. thanks.

I believe this is a picture of Irene Andersen. She is a Swedish bodybuilder and gym owner. She openly admits to using steroids, partly because Sweden does not have very stiff penalties for personal use of steroids.

No matter how hard you train, you will not look anything close to her unless you inject drugs. Period.

It is very difficult for women to put on muscle tissue. We don't have enough testosterone to support the process. Fat isn't burned in the stomach or in the digestive system, its burned in muscle tissue. Having healthy muscles are vital to our metabolism...and they play a role in maintaining our bones as we get older.

I personally hate the lighter weights and more reps advice.

Here's another thread on the subject that discusses this in more detail, including the input from a female physician:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78894

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree that light weight and lots of reps is not effective for building muscle. Niah has made it clear that she doesn't want to bulk up which is why I posted that. Besides, light weight and high reps is not bogus, it targets the slow twitch muscle fibers instead of the fast twitch ones. It not only helps define muscle but builds endurance. Had she asked about adding muscle or getting stronger, I would have posted something different, as other methods work better for those goals.

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First off, there is a difference between using lighter weight (like 40-50% of your 1 rep max), and using a garbage 2 pound dumbell.

Personally, I feel that weight training in itself isn't enough. I believe that weight training combined with exercises using plyometrics, heavy negatives, and kettlebell training works the best overall. There is no piece of equipment/exercise that builds better functional strength other than the kettlebell.

Low weight and high reps increases the amount of capillaries within the muscle and increases mitochondrial density. This promotes circulation and maximizes energy production. This is why it is used to "tone" muscles and get lean. It also allows someone who is new to resistance training to learn proper form while minimizing risk of injury.

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of the greatness of kettlebells from many sources, but I don't currently know much about them. I am definitely interested in adding them into my training at some future point.

What I've managed to glean (perhaps erroneously) from all the discussions and resources I've been reading comparing heavy lifting to light weights/more repetitions is that the lighter weights can work as long as you continue to increase the weight when the repetitions get too easy, but that the heavy lifting will move you toward your goals a lot faster.

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
More reps/lighter weight works differently than heavy weight/low reps.

Heavy weight/low reps like 80-90% of your 1 rep max with 2-6 reps is all strength. It is the most effective way to train for strength. So if your goal is to double your bench press max, this is the way to train.

Moderate weight/moderate reps like 50-75% of your 1 rep max and a rep range of 8-12 is the best way to train for hypertrophy. This is how you train for size. So if you wanted to put on lean body weight, training like this with proper nutrition is the way to reach that goal.

Light weight/high reps like 30-50% of your 1 rep max with a rep range of 15-20 works on toning muscle and building endurance.

It all depends on what your individual goals are.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Lighter weights - more reps" is a relative term. This is what often gets lost in these discussions.

I can do a bench press all day with a 45 pound bar, and no more weight. I'll build endurance, in time, but not muscle mass. But if I choose a weight that I can just finish 15 or so reps, the emphasis will be on defining the muscle more than building lots of mass and power. And if I use a weight that I just barely finish 8 or so reps... the emphasis in my body's response will be to build bigger muscles & more power.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a personal trainer by profession andyou would be suprised how many women I have ask me in a day this very same question. Lauren hit it on the head with the "help" piece. Women DON'T produce enough testosterone to make themselves bulk this way(with the exception of 1 genetic anomoly).

My suggestion on a program would be to talk to a trainer. Or start performing the WOD at www.Crossfit.com Try to find short, intense, functional workouts. If you need some additional help let me know andI will try to help you get it.