Good school Cypress Texas?

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe some of you Texans can gimme a hand here.

I'm trying to find a decent school for my cousin. I actually live in Kansas and am more than happy with where I train, but him and I have different goals, different levels of experience, and very different body shapes.

He is mid 30's, no MA experience other than High School wrestling and a lot of parking lot brawls as a rowdy youth (mature family man now). He is a big muscular guy but has high body fat and really wants to "cut". Having lifted weights for years, I know cutting is just not as fun as lifting for size and strength so I pushed MA as a "fun" way to cut without getting bored.

While the big concern is cardio and calorie burning, I don't want to send him to some kick boxing gym that is more aerobics than use able technique. I would like to find him a Muay Thai gym where he can sweat off some fat WHILE becoming a more effective striker, develop good reaction timing, basically become a better fighter and not just dance to lose weight.

I found a place near him called Team Tooke. Anyone know anything about it? Recommend anything else in that area?

Appreciate you guys!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe some of you Texans can gimme a hand here.

I'm trying to find a decent school for my cousin. I actually live in Kansas and am more than happy with where I train, but him and I have different goals, different levels of experience, and very different body shapes.

He is mid 30's, no MA experience other than High School wrestling and a lot of parking lot brawls as a rowdy youth (mature family man now). He is a big muscular guy but has high body fat and really wants to "cut". Having lifted weights for years, I know cutting is just not as fun as lifting for size and strength so I pushed MA as a "fun" way to cut without getting bored.

While the big concern is cardio and calorie burning, I don't want to send him to some kick boxing gym that is more aerobics than use able technique. I would like to find him a Muay Thai gym where he can sweat off some fat WHILE becoming a more effective striker, develop good reaction timing, basically become a better fighter and not just dance to lose weight.

I found a place near him called Team Tooke. Anyone know anything about it? Recommend anything else in that area?

Appreciate you guys!
CanT help with a specific school, but he might be better Off dancing if he wants to burn fat, but excesIce e generally doesn't denT y fatness, dieting does, that's not cutting in the body building use of the term, that's sensible long term eating.

So perhaps a nutricist should be his first call, then any high aerobic past time to gain fitness and keep the weight in check will do him fine

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of the day it should be his choice he's the one that's going there

OP
Saheim

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don’t know the school but have heard good things about. There are a lot of good schools in Houston.

Just wanna make sure I understand you, correctly - you are saying you don't personally have experience with that particular school but have heard others say good things about it? Appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Appreciate the input, I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

There should be an ITF TKD school in Cypress that could be worth checking out. I'm actually planning to visit it this summer.

Latest Discussions