Body scratching - specific for arts

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread like this, so i decided to ask.

My ranking in taekwondo is green belt. Last 2 days my master worked with me on mt tehniques. And i realized (him to) that i have a great talent - but - my body is not listening to me at all. I aim high, i hit i low. I have one thing in my mind, but body have the other.

So, i need some scratching. Some we do after, and before training, but i want additional.

I quit my job last week, and i think at least month i wan't find a new one, everybody say's come after holidays, so i have time to train twice a day.

In the evening i have hapkido or taekwando training, but in the morning i will do body scratching.

So, can somebody gimme some advices when and how to do it? Should i do classic body scratching like on training, or there is something designed for stuff that taekwondo leg kicks ask for?

Maybe sending some links would be very good.

Also, it would be good if i could do it alone, because i don't want to bodher anybody every morning. But more because 4-5 hours after waking up i'm not social person as usual. %-}

Thanks!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you explain what body scratching is please, I'm probably being thick and everyone else knows lol but I don't!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he means, either. I can only hope, given the context, that he means stretching to increase flexibility.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sure it is a language barrier and it is stretching. You can probably just do the same routine you do at your school. A couple important thing for beginning stretching: move into the stretch slowly and do not bounce while stretching. You should feel discomfort but not pain. Hold the stretch for 15-30 sec and focus on your breathing while in the stretch. Repeat each stretch a couple of times.
After a few weeks of daily stretching, you might want to look up information on PNF stretching and dynamic stretching, but it is important to know exactly what you are doing. I recommend someone being with you and actually showing you how to stretch and correcting your movement rather than just learning from the internet as these stretches can end up doing more harm than good if done incorrectly.
A good book filled with good stretches and good explanations for how to do them and what they will help you with is Sang H. Kim's Ultimate Flexibility.
Good flexibility is very important for over all health so stick with it and good luck!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just use some cortizone 10 and I am sure you wont need to scratch your body anymore.

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for help. Um, yes language is a barriere, i am not so good in english. But i see you cacthed my mind :) ! I mean something like: practices to improve body flexibility.

Then, i will do the same scracthing like on training, but with no bouncing and with good breathing. On training, focus isn't on scracthing, we do it only how much it's required to avoid hurting during practicing tehniques.

Also, as i know, if you want to start scracth properly, it's required to do some body warm - up.

Later this day i will visit city library, they probably have some books about body flexibility! I know i can found it on the internet, but i am a lover of reading - on - paper.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for help. Um, yes language is a barriere, i am not so good in english. But i see you cacthed my mind :) ! I mean something like: practices to improve body flexibility.

Then, i will do the same scracthing like on training, but with no bouncing and with good breathing. On training, focus isn't on scracthing, we do it only how much it's required to avoid hurting during practicing tehniques.

Also, as i know, if you want to start scracth properly, it's required to do some body warm - up.

Later this day i will visit city library, they probably have some books about body flexibility! I know i can found it on the internet, but i am a lover of reading - on - paper.

Your English is pretty good! I asked because sometimes we have problems between the English I speak being English and the English Americans speak! They aren't nearly the same!

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tigerlove, your English is fantastic, and I congratulate you on your learning, I hear that it is a hard language to get used to. In order to make things clearer, please allow me to offer that the English spelling you are looking for is "stretching" and "stretch". :)

It is one of the things I also am terrible at. Stretching, I mean. I would add that the new thinking about stretching is that you need to warm up before doing it... 100 jumping jacks, jogging for 5 minutes, etc will get the muscles properly warmed up and receptive to good stretching.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are two kinds of flexibilty...dynamic and static. Usually, the kind of stretches done in a TKD class are static kind (hold a position for a period of time). that's good for the end of class (after you're all warmed up), but not as useful for TKD as dynamic flexibility.

Dynamic flexibility is the ability to move a joint through it's entire range of motion. Good dynamic flexibility leads to easy head kicks and the like. You need to practice moving your joints through the entire range of motion. Might I suggest leg swings in all directions (I do 12-20 each leg front, back and side) every day, sometimes twice a day as part of my warmup. Also work on strength development. Building the muslcles needed to get your legs and other parts to where they need to be is crucial. Squats, hip excercsies and the like are crucial as well.Check out Tom Kurtz's stuff for more info.

Peace,
Erik

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could a mod very kindly amend the title? I think more replies might be got that way.
I know I don't do enough stretching but I was taught a very long time ago to stretch before I got out of bed, much as a cat or dog does after sleeping and before getting up. It does make a difference, I'm sure.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are two kinds of flexibilty...dynamic and static. Usually, the kind of stretches done in a TKD class are static kind (hold a position for a period of time). that's good for the end of class (after you're all warmed up), but not as useful for TKD as dynamic flexibility.

Dynamic flexibility is the ability to move a joint through it's entire range of motion. Good dynamic flexibility leads to easy head kicks and the like. You need to practice moving your joints through the entire range of motion. Might I suggest leg swings in all directions (I do 12-20 each leg front, back and side) every day, sometimes twice a day as part of my warmup. Also work on strength development. Building the muslcles needed to get your legs and other parts to where they need to be is crucial. Squats, hip excercsies and the like are crucial as well.Check out Tom Kurtz's stuff for more info.

Peace,
Erik
Hit the nail on the head. I for the life of me do not understand why more people do not even know that there are different types of flexibility or stretching. MA is all about knowledge but so many don't seek it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head. I for the life of me do not understand why more people do not even know that there are different types of flexibility or stretching. MA is all about knowledge but so many don't seek it.

Many people only seem to have one hour classes and after a quick warm up if that, it's straight onto techniques etc so stretching isn't part of the class as such. Many classes expect people to warm up and stretch off before they start the class which leaves the beginners not being taught how to stretch properly and copyng the higher grades who were never taught properly either. If the importance of stretching was emphasised more I think people would go out and look for the knowledge.

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also think that body flexibility is crucial for martial arts, so as knowing how to do it properly alone.

But, i believe that in most dojos there isn't any focus on it, everybody doing just how much it's required to avoid injury. Also i think it's not problem in instructors - there is simply leak of time. But it's not so bad, on training place focus on tehniques, and if you want something additional (like me) then do it on your own, that's how thing goes (in most of dojos probably) i think.

This with dynamic strecthing sounds good and proper to me, but until i find some material to teach myself how to do it i will stay away from it. Wouldn't be the first time i injured myself because of inproper strecthing (last time i cracked something in my leg and stayed 2 months out of taekwando).

I was in city library, and found book of Bob Anderson. Anybody heard of him?

Link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-20th-Anniversary-Revised-Anderson/dp/0936070226

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many people only seem to have one hour classes and after a quick warm up if that, it's straight onto techniques etc so stretching isn't part of the class as such. Many classes expect people to warm up and stretch off before they start the class which leaves the beginners not being taught how to stretch properly and copyng the higher grades who were never taught properly either. If the importance of stretching was emphasised more I think people would go out and look for the knowledge.

That, then, is the fault of the instructor. If students are expected to do their own warm ups...they first need to be shown the proper way to warm up. This shoulod be part ofd the begining curriculum, tested and everything.

Otherwise, the class should be structured so that all the necessary peices are there. Start with some light cardio and joint mobility stuff, work into technique, then get more intense with resistance training followed by conditioning, finish up with cool-down stretching.

if the class isn't long enough to do all of that, then the classes need ot be longer or maybe work on different thingse on different days.

Students should not be held accountable for not learning something.

(This is not a slam on you or your Tez, just a general comment sparked from your post)

Peace,
Erik

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That, then, is the fault of the instructor. If students are expected to do their own warm ups...they first need to be shown the proper way to warm up. This shoulod be part ofd the begining curriculum, tested and everything.

Otherwise, the class should be structured so that all the necessary peices are there. Start with some light cardio and joint mobility stuff, work into technique, then get more intense with resistance training followed by conditioning, finish up with cool-down stretching.

if the class isn't long enough to do all of that, then the classes need ot be longer or maybe work on different thingse on different days.

(This is not a slam on you or your Tez, just a general comment sparked from your post)

Peace,
Erik

While I agree that you are right, too many people want "Just" martial arts training when in the dojang. I have read so many posts on MT of people saying they can run at home, or lift weights at home, etc and that they are expecting their money to go to martial art technique training only. I think it is something we need to educate people on. Explain the importance of how stretching will actually help your martial arts technique. I think that is the missing link in most situations. For the life of me I still can't get my 15 year old nephew to understand that the fact he can lift lots of weight but has terrible flexibility is a limitation if he wants to improve his overall speed and agility for soccer. I think adults who are more set in their ideas offer even more resistance. It is up to the instructors to teach the importance of a proper warm up and cool down, along with flexibility training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peace,
Erik

I agree with you totally. We don't have short lessons, we do two hours as a minimum so there is time for a proper warm up and stretch. I've read on here quite often people sayng they won't take their students through a warm up or stretch because that's not what they are there for, there classes are for martial arts not fitness sessions. I believe a proper warm up and stretching is vital, admittedly you won't get time to warm up and stretch in a real fight but the flexibility gained in those training sesions is invaluable in helping you defend yourself. It also means less injuries so you can train for longer and more often so that's got to be a winner!

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think problem isn't in coaches (i speak for dojos i seen, about ten). Or at least they are guilty for the situation same as the students. Yes, they don't showing up how much body flexibility does matter, but also i never heard a student complaining about that.

My opinnion that masters are here to learn you tehniques of your martial art, but if you want something additional (body shape and flexibility), you must take it on your own and practice at home besides your training.

Also, in dojo, of 20 students there are five of them wanting something additional, so maybe there is no sense to tear them all apart because of five freaks who wants to train for real :) .

No pain no gain, if you want something more than you do on training, all you need is will. At least i watch it so, your master is master but he isn't everything.

I will do some scracthing and squats now and see how it would affect my training in the evening.

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is me, after sometime. Since my last post, almost everyday i trained twice. Offcourse it affected to me very well, for this short period of time i raised my kicks and power, and i think it's great.

OT: Also, since my last post i received blue belt in both of arts i train - hapkido and taekwondo. :ultracool

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is me, after sometime. Since my last post, almost everyday i trained twice. Offcourse it affected to me very well, for this short period of time i raised my kicks and power, and i think it's great.

OT: Also, since my last post i received blue belt in both of arts i train - hapkido and taekwondo. :ultracool

Great!
It is so nice to hear the follow-up info on posts like this!

Latest Discussions