Body Responses

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I usually train with my friends and we train as close to real as possible, but I just can't be sure of how his body would react if I really struck him. I was wondering if there was a website or perhaps a program that can show you how the body will react to any type of strike with any amount of force. Does anyone know of such a site or program?

Many thanks
MMAkid1

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not one that I know of, but I wouldn't trust it anyway. FAR too many variables involved to know - angle of attack, speed and depth of impact, opponent's momentum, your momentum.........etc.

If you spar with some decent contact, you will see for yourself what happens for the most part. No mysteries, really. Guy either falls down or he doesn't. :boing2:

OP
MMAkid1

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, I am just looking for the subtle reactions of the body, you know, like if you were to strike the sternum with a fist, would he bend over slightly or would it cause him to go backwards, that kind of thing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, I am just looking for the subtle reactions of the body, you know, like if you were to strike the sternum with a fist, would he bend over slightly or would it cause him to go backwards, that kind of thing.
You need to hit your partners.
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not one that I know of, but I wouldn't trust it anyway. FAR too many variables involved to know - angle of attack, speed and depth of impact, opponent's momentum, your momentum.........etc.

If you spar with some decent contact, you will see for yourself what happens for the most part. No mysteries, really. Guy either falls down or he doesn't. :boing2:

Absolutely correct sir. The variable are immense, and there is no simple "chart" or guide to understanding the true science of martial posture. It's complex.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely correct sir. The variable are immense, and there is no simple "chart" or guide to understanding the true science of martial posture. It's complex.

If you work with each other using reasonably levels of force, you'll have an idea. You'll get bumps and bruises, and you'll learn how it feels to get hit, too.

But I'd suggest designing or planning techniques both for the ideal reaction, and also in a way that if the opponent doesn't do the ideal response, you're still in a safe and effective position. For example, the other night one of my students was wanting to do a hard, low roundhouse kick to the opponent, following it up with a clothesline-like punch from the opposite side. Personally -- that transition was way too long... If the roundhouse didn't discombobulate the opponent enough, he was going to eat some punches or kicks.

OP
MMAkid1

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The way we train is without padding, but we use control. My partner and I simulate a Realistic Actual/Armed Combat Experience (RACE). What I mean is, I get into a mock argument with him, and try to de-escalate the situation. He may strike at any moment with any weapon wherever he chooses and he can strike as many times as he likes. The goal is to react without thinking and end the confrontation in any way. If you hesitate or slow down to think about what to do next, it ends and your turn is up. If I or my opponent see or feel a strike that we believe would be ineffective, we wait until the attack ends and then go over it slowly and try to see how the body would react. The problem is, if I strike him too hard, I may hurt him, and if I strike too softly, he wont react correctly. I want to know how his body will act when struck with True Force. Any ideas?
icon5.gif

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way we train is without padding, but we use control. My partner and I simulate a Realistic Actual/Armed Combat Experience (RACE). What I mean is, I get into a mock argument with him, and try to de-escalate the situation. He may strike at any moment with any weapon wherever he chooses and he can strike as many times as he likes. The goal is to react without thinking and end the confrontation in any way. If you hesitate or slow down to think about what to do next, it ends and your turn is up. If I or my opponent see or feel a strike that we believe would be ineffective, we wait until the attack ends and then go over it slowly and try to see how the body would react. The problem is, if I strike him too hard, I may hurt him, and if I strike too softly, he wont react correctly. I want to know how his body will act when struck with True Force. Any ideas?
icon5.gif

You're confusing training methodologies sir. You're engaging in "Scenario Training" that encompasses a wide range of issues including emotion inducing stressors, and requires an in-depth understanding of the Psychology of Confrontation. Before you move to Scenario Training you must address the correct application of the physicality of the process, absent the stressors that tend to corrupt the process.

The only way YOU can learn Induced Martial Posture is to have someone teach it to you a little at a time, in conjunction with the defensive application from both the perspective of attacker and victim. Or you must significantly attack and strike/seize your training partner surreptitiously, with significant energy to induce a spontaneous and substantially uncomfortable reaction, and capture that reaction from multiple directions on video for later study.

However, this will not yield an understanding of how the body is performing or reacting subcutaneously, nor will it reveal subtle weight distribution issues that can have a profound impact on effectiveness and vulnerability possibilities and options.

What you need access to is "knowledge and experience." Neither of them will be found in a chart, graph, or cliff notes, or are they "easy"ily obtained. There are no short-cuts sir if you want to really learn. Or you can bang around with a buddy, and develop a reasonable expectation of what and how you would like to do things, and have fun doing it.

My math tutor once said, "Do you want to be a mathematician, or just balance your checkbook?" If you just want to "balance your checkbook," than keep doing what you're doing and learn as much as you can from it. If you want more, you're not going to find it on a forum. You need a really good teacher, and willingness to be patient and put in the time sir with that teacher. My mentor and Econ Professor, Dr. Thomas Sowell, once said, "There is no such thing as a free lunch. You may not pay, but someone else always does."

In your case you're looking for that free lunch, but in these matters, you're going to have to pay the bill yourself, or you won't eat sir. Either raise the level of your commitment, or be satisfied with what your level of commitment is capable of yielding. You're looking for "easy." There is no "easy" way to become competent at anything.

Good luck! :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
this is one of those nuggets of wisdom that goes far beyond martial arts

Either raise the level of your commitment, or be satisfied with what your level of commitment is capable of yielding

OP
MMAkid1

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I will never be satisfied because I will never be complete in my knowledge. However, I do believe a kinesthetic knowledge of the body; including organs, muscles, nerves, and skeletal structure, as well as Psychologic understanding of the brain, combined with knowledge of the reaction of the brain to sufficient force or impact on nerves, pain receptors, and skeletal/muscular limitations, would be extremely beneficial. All I'm really asking is for a website on a kinesthetic and psychologic test on the reaction of the body to sufficient/extraenous force and the resulting reaction of the body's defensive mechanisms from forces on various areas of the subject.

Frost

White Belt
Reaction score
This is something that I have spent a long time studying. I think that to get the information you want you should ask specific questions about specific strikes and take the collective responses and formulate an answer. Drawing on others' experiences, providing that they are true, has a lot of value.

OP
MMAkid1

MMAkid1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is something that I have spent a long time studying. I think that to get the information you want you should ask specific questions about specific strikes and take the collective responses and formulate an answer. Drawing on others' experiences, providing that they are true, has a lot of value.

Is there any way you could elaborate on that for me, please?

Frost

White Belt
Reaction score
What would you like for me to elaborate on specifically?

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I believe MMAkid is looking for something along the lines of:

Attack - poke to the eyes
Response - opponent's hands come up to their face and head jerks backwards

Attack - kick to the groin
Response - opponent's hands go down, knees come together, head drops forward

Etc.

The problem is (as noted before), that there are simply too many variables, especially when striking, to be able to depend on these reactions to be consistent. This is where a combination of scenario training and pressure testing will give you a good idea of what techniques work reliably.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will never be satisfied because I will never be complete in my knowledge. However, I do believe a kinesthetic knowledge of the body; including organs, muscles, nerves, and skeletal structure, as well as Psychologic understanding of the brain, combined with knowledge of the reaction of the brain to sufficient force or impact on nerves, pain receptors, and skeletal/muscular limitations, would be extremely beneficial. All I'm really asking is for a website on a kinesthetic and psychologic test on the reaction of the body to sufficient/extraenous force and the resulting reaction of the body's defensive mechanisms from forces on various areas of the subject.
There are none. I wish there were, but there is no collective information available for what you seek.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe MMAkid is looking for something along the lines of:

Attack - poke to the eyes
Response - opponent's hands come up to their face and head jerks backwards

Attack - kick to the groin
Response - opponent's hands go down, knees come together, head drops forward

Etc.

The problem is (as noted before), that there are simply too many variables, especially when striking, to be able to depend on these reactions to be consistent. This is where a combination of scenario training and pressure testing will give you a good idea of what techniques work reliably.
Like you, I think we all know what he wants, he just doesn't want to accept the answer that there is no "simple" way to get the info he seeks.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All I'm really asking is for a website on a kinesthetic and psychologic test on the reaction of the body to sufficient/extraenous force and the resulting reaction of the body's defensive mechanisms from forces on various areas of the subject.

I'd settle for an expert who lived within a 100 miles.

Latest Discussions