Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Step 1 - pour dry sand in.
Step 2 - use John Thomas as a water transport system.
Step 3 - Pause to hydrate delivery system. Suggest ale as lager may be too foamy.
Step 4 - When filled to neck, continue saturating sand in support system. If there's a problem, you may wish to see a man about a horse.

You can save money by taking the base to any near by beach and filling it there. The sand will already be wet, and varied in size so it should pack well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It dosnt matter what the size of the beg is damm ok ok its a home depot near me now that thats out the way. How many begs of wet sand do i need in oder to fill central Bob all the way up so he wont move around at all? Now what size should i be using as far as home depot gos?
Here's a clue: Search Results for sand at The Home Depot

There are at least 3 different size bags of sand there, depending on what you buy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No no how many bags of wet sand (50lb) will it take to fill my bob up to the point he wont move around? I wanna buy wet sand but before then I wanna know how many 50lb bags of wet sand should I buy in order to fill central bob up?
Why do you want to pay a stone yard for water? Buy dry sand.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually it's a serious question, can you buy wet sand? Wouldn't you buy it dry and be expected to add your own water?
I could actually see some purposes where you might buy sand in serious bulk, with a specified water content. But at that point, we're talking construction projects and you're wanting specific compaction characteristics. Probably delivered by the ton...

OP
R

redmen

White Belt
Reaction score
Step 1 - pour dry sand in.
Step 2 - use John Thomas as a water transport system.
Step 3 - Pause to hydrate delivery system. Suggest ale as lager may be too foamy.
Step 4 - When filled to neck, continue saturating sand in support system. If there's a problem, you may wish to see a man about a horse.

You can save money by taking the base to any near by beach and filling it there. The sand will already be wet, and varied in size so it should pack well.
So tell me about the sand you showed before

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually prefer my sand as free range sand I believe it's healthier for the sand and free flowing sand can be a little bit misleading. Also I believe the granular structure of the sand should be taken into account. The more course and jagged particle will allow for the capillary attraction of the water. Where as a smooth particle will cause a more tightly packed structure but will flow better.

OP
R

redmen

White Belt
Reaction score
I actually prefer my sand as free range sand I believe it's healthier for the sand and free flowing sand can be a little bit misleading. Also I believe the granular structure of the sand should be taken into account. The more course and jagged particle will allow for the capillary attraction of the water. Where as a smooth particle will cause a more tightly packed structure but will flow better.
Show a picture of the sand bag you are talking about

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is it organic? I like to buy organic stuff, might be slightly more expensive but you know what's in it. No chemicals or drugs.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... The more course and jagged particle will allow for the capillary attraction of the water. Where as a smooth particle will cause a more tightly packed structure but will flow better.

@ Hoshin: "Free range sand?" --That's a good one! LOL. But actually industrially produced "sharp sand" or silica sand compacts much more firmly than sand with smoother, more rounded particles such as natural "playground sand". Sharp sand is also more of a respiratory hazard if you breath the dust. And it is more irritating to the skin and eyes. That's why it's not recommended for sandboxes or other "play" uses.

To the OP. Forget about wet sand. Dry play sand such as shown in the picture below is the safest choice. Dry sand can easily be poured into a base for a "bob", a heavy bag stand, or basketball hoop, will be stable and won't foster mold growth. As you can see it comes in 50 lb. bags for under $5 ea. Home Depot, etc. Pick the weight you want, buy it and be done with it.

Sand - Mortar Cement Concrete Mix - Concrete Cement Masonry - The Home Depot

To everybody else: Is it possible that it is that tough to buy some sand and put it in a "BOB" base??? Really. Either the OP is just trolling, or he spends way to much time on a keyboard and not nearly enough time working with his hands in the real world. Sometimes people need to just jump in and figure things out by themselves. With that, I'm done here.

Last edited:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must say Bob, your patience exceeds my own.
Spent much of yesterday arguing Net Neutrality with people who believe the hired spokescongressionals for the ISPs over the words of people who actually understand the issue (/rant: short version, the FCC ruling was right, Faux is wrong. Get the real facts, don't listen to idiots who make asinine comments like "obamacare for the internet". /rant:).

So explaining sand related issues was a vacation in comparison.
I mean, we haven't even gotten to if the color of the sand matters, and if it effects the overall density and permeability of the substrate in it's intended usage here. :D

This in depth, detailed examination of sand could be of great use to someone who finds "Buy 4 bags of sand. Pour into base until desired resistance is achieved." is too difficult a concept to process.

We should see about a government grant to research the overall viscosity of various types of sand and their uses to the self defence industry. I mean, it's better than working for a living, right? :rofl:

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd recommend gluten free sand, just in case some gets in your mouth while you're filling Bob.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it organic? I like to buy organic stuff, might be slightly more expensive but you know what's in it. No chemicals or drugs.

Actually, sand is organic, in a way. Much of the sand people enjoy so much on beaches is, in fact, Parrot Fish poop. Parrot Fish eat coral. They digest the nutritive portion, and excrete the rest as... sand.
Maybe there is a market for Free Range Organic Pesticide Free Gluten Free sand...

OP
R

redmen

White Belt
Reaction score
Spent much of yesterday arguing Net Neutrality with people who believe the hired spokescongressionals for the ISPs over the words of people who actually understand the issue (/rant: short version, the FCC ruling was right, Faux is wrong. Get the real facts, don't listen to idiots who make asinine comments like "obamacare for the internet". /rant:).

So explaining sand related issues was a vacation in comparison.
I mean, we haven't even gotten to if the color of the sand matters, and if it effects the overall density and permeability of the substrate in it's intended usage here. :D

This in depth, detailed examination of sand could be of great use to someone who finds "Buy 4 bags of sand. Pour into base until desired resistance is achieved." is too difficult a concept to process.

We should see about a government grant to research the overall viscosity of various types of sand and their uses to the self defence industry. I mean, it's better than working for a living, right? :rofl:
I seen a vid of dry sand being dump in the base of bob and i must say they way looks so wrong cus the dry sand gets stuck at a point and has to be push in smh im not with all that bs. I want that hour glass sand meaning i want sand to pour in to the base of bob like water.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Hour glass sand' is dry but often comes in pretty colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions