Board Breaking

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having had my lil digits brutalized countless times, I like the concept, but they appears to cover +/- 2" of board. I only hold with about 1/2", so I'm not sure how well they'd work for me. If you get them, post up a review.

OP
T

T43

White Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I'll do it. I guess I've got to be the guinea pig :) I'm not familiar with Forums a lot...where should I post it...in this same "Thread"?

Cougar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We use board breaking for various reasons from time to time in our classes. Over the years we have gotten away from using real boards and went with the rebrakeable boards. The ones we use have handles built in and save on busted finger tips. You can find them at Asian World of Martial Arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd just rather have tougher fingers - they're free.

This is one of the more idiotic things I've seen posted recently.

Wrap your fingers around 5 or 6 boards. If you can. Now let me slip and kick your fingers with enough power to break those 5 or 6 boards. Now tell me you don't regret this statement while you're heading off to the hand surgeon to have multiple tuft fractures pinned.

My personal choice is this gizmo.

Can be mounted on a wall or heavy bag, freestanding on a wall, on the floor, or held in the hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one of the more idiotic things I've seen posted recently.

Wrap your fingers around 5 or 6 boards. If you can. Now let me slip and kick your fingers with enough power to break those 5 or 6 boards. Now tell me you don't regret this statement while you're heading off to the hand surgeon to have multiple tuft fractures pinned.

My personal choice is this gizmo.

Can be mounted on a wall or heavy bag, freestanding on a wall, on the floor, or held in the hands.

Pot meet kettle. Have you ever tried to hold more than 4 boards in your hands, unless you have giant hands not likely. If you have such poor accuracy to hit the fingers then you will never break 5 or 6 boards. I've had my fingers kicked holding boards before and have seen it done to others over the years (that's why you hold with your fingers flat) and never seen much more than a bruise, it's what I call free finger toughening. But if you're worried about your fingers and want to shell out 25 bucks or so per pair then go for it. The gizmo as you call it looks good for solo board breaking practice, I wouldn't mind getting one. .

Last edited by a moderator:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What are those things (I mean that the OP posted about) made out of? Hard plastic? I feel like the force of the kick might just squish your finger between the plastic and the board. I wonder if some padded gloves with some kind of enhanced grip might be a better way to go.

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been kicked in the fingers multiple times even with proper holding techniques. It hurts for awhile. Afterawhile you dont even feel it. :bangahead:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been kicked in the fingers multiple times even with proper holding techniques. It hurts for awhile. Afterawhile you dont even feel it. :bangahead:
Ive been kicked in the finger holding stuff multiple times, and only damaged one once :)

...Incidentally, i cant quite make a proper fist on that hand. Damaging fingers is less fun when its mixed with old metacarpal injuries that stop you from making a proper fist in the first place. My point being, its not a risk you should have fun taking, but theres no harm in taking it most of the time.