Blinders Needed

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
What is actually the problem here? Is your training suffering? Are you becoming less of a martial artist as a result of other peoples ranks? Are your skills and strength fading?

if not, then there is no problem. Do not concern yourself with the skills and ranks of others. Just train how you want to train, instruct how you want to instruct, and let the rest be damned.

I know it can be hard to get over, I've had the exact same thing at my school. Simply put, their rank and whether they deserve it or not is not your problem. So dont make it your problem.
With all due respect, you do not understand the entire situation here, as the big picture has not been posted on this thread.

Though your points are excellent for the average situation where some color ranks are going through the growing pains of comparing themselves to others, they may or may not apply in this instance.

Thanks for posting, though.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
With all due respect, you do not understand the entire situation here, as the big picture has not been posted on this thread.
Care to lay it out for me, so that I may understand?

Thanks for posting, though.
Just sharing my opinion.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I've read through the Uncommon Valor thread, and I think I understand the situation (like I said, I have been in almost exactly the same situation myself).

I dont know how relevant this is now, as I'm not too sure of TWs current situation, but this is how I would have tackled the issue.

1 - Exactly why am I training here? Is it to learn skills I cannot learn elsewhere? Is it to maintain friendships I have built over the years? Is it through loyalty to the organisation? Is it to maintain my fitness? Is there another reason? Whatever your answer is dictates how you must act.

2 - Is the situation at hand actually preventing you from getting what you want from your training? Or are you just percieving it as such? Remember, no matter how much the other black belts deserve their rank (or not), it has no bearing on your own level of skill and fitness.

3 - If the situation is preventing you from achieving your goals (as outlined in #1) then you must find another way to achieve them. This can either be through private training with friends, regular training at the gym plus a dedicated martial arts regimen, or it may be finding another school (if that doesnt conflict with #1).

As a worst case scenario, it may be the best course of action to have your instructor removed by the organisation.

PS - If I have incorrectly assumed anything about the situation, forgive me. I can be rather dense and insensitive at times...

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept, thank you for trying, but there is alot you don't understand and frankly I would rather not keep explaining. I have already been accused of being a martyr about this as if having a ongoing multiple factor problem for three years is something trivial or I'm benefiting from it somehow, not, as we say in Minnesota. As I already said, I'm putting blinders on and still working on my break, at most for a couple of months. God willing. TW :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tigerwoman:

I know that it is hard (to say the least) to continue training in adverse circumstances. I understand your zeal to complete your break and continue where you are for the time being.

I don't think it has anything to do with being a martyr, as they say. I think it has everything to do with your intense sense of purpose.

I have read you much and pondered your situation much over the months we've exchanged on this board and I have faith that you will do what you have to do. I know why you have to do it and so do you.

You will succeed and the situation will be resolved. It will take time and opportunity and trial.

Keep on truckin' sister. :asian:

SS

Latest Discussions