Black belt with white strip?

OP
X

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
Any chance the instructor was "Dissing" you by giving you this belt? I.E. he felt someone was a newbie know it all so he gave the adult a kids Black belt?

Nah, I doubt it. Didn't feel like a "dis".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've only ever seen the "junior black belt" (or "poom black belt" in Kukkiwon TKD) as being half red, half black. Is white and black an ITF thing?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've only ever seen the "junior black belt" (or "poom black belt" in Kukkiwon TKD) as being half red, half black. Is white and black an ITF thing?

I'm not TKD, but I think you're talking about two different things - the half red/half black belt is the final belt before black in some organizations/systems. The black belt with a long white stripe down the middle (like a long Oreo cookie) is a kid's (aka junior) black belt.

The organization I'm in (Seido Juku) uses the white stripe on all juniors' belts, black included.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know it's a joke, but that statement always drives me nuts. It makes no sense. Do you have belt loops on your Dobok/Gi pants? Is your martial-arts belt threaded through these imaginary belt loops? No? Then your martial-arts belt is doing nothing to hold up your trousers.

Do you prefer "keeping your gi top closed?" Some organizations' uniform tops don't have ties to keep them shut. Kyokushin wears Isami gis almost exclusively. Those gis don't tie shut.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you prefer "keeping your gi top closed?" Some organizations' uniform tops don't have ties to keep them shut. Kyokushin wears Isami gis almost exclusively. Those gis don't tie shut.

Many Kukkiwon TKD schools, including mine, wear pull-over V-neck doboks. They don't open at all, so no tie or belt would be needed to hold them shut. I stand by my stated reason for different colored belts.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I understand that some martial artists place way too much importance on belts, I believe that totally discounting them is a mistake as well. They serve a very practical purpose (not holding up pants.) My school has well over 100 students. One's belt color is a quick and easy way for the instructor to look at a student and immediately know what he has already been taught, and what he needs to learn next.

Colored belts didn't actually get into Europe until 1935. Now other arts have copied to turn it into something it's not. But you do mention the reason they were invented in the first place. Thing is once you are qualified beginner they are all black and it doesn't matter any more. Then again you might want to put a pretty stripe on it.

Also if you have worn that same old black belt so long it starts to turn white again.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That mostly black with white stripe belt smacks to me of something intrinsic to that individual instructor, like maybe "This is the newest student. Be nice to him/her." belt. Nothing wrong with such a thing.

I could be completely wrong, too.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Colored belts didn't actually get into Europe until 1935. Now other arts have copied to turn it into something it's not. But you do mention the reason they were invented in the first place. Thing is once you are qualified beginner they are all black and it doesn't matter any more. Then again you might want to put a pretty stripe on it.

Also if you have worn that same old black belt so long it starts to turn white again.

What about those guys who have white and red belts or solid red belts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not TKD,

But this thread IS, so...

but I think you're talking about two different things - the half red/half black belt is the final belt before black in some organizations/systems. The black belt with a long white stripe down the middle (like a long Oreo cookie) is a kid's (aka junior) black belt.

In KKW TKD the half red/half black belt is a Poom (junior black belt) rank.
In other TKD systems (such as ours) that do not use poom ranks at all, the half belt is used for chodanbo (black belt candidate or trainee black belt).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Former ITA used the Oreo as probationary black (you were a BB, but had to test again to confirm...I guess too many quit after getting the plain black....the belt following the oreo is embroidered.)

we didn't get the oreo until they tried the poom belt half and half but it looked like the senior red (red with black stripe) and nobody knew if the red or black went on top - we students just decided we went with black on top....you gotta have uniformity in uniform...

But getting the oreo handed....weird.

I agree, ask the instructor...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like it has some other meaning to this particular instructor, just not sure yet what it is. No one else in the class has this belt. I just need to ask the guy I guess.

At 47 (my age, too), perhaps he's using it to mark you as "not yet old, but no longer young".

OP
X

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
I hadn't had a chance to speak with him about it, but his daughter is an instructor so I brought it up to her and she talked to him about it. The next class she traded it out for a yellow belt, which is my actual rank at this point. We think it was just a misunderstanding when I signed up for classes, but all seems ok now.