Black Belt Etiquette Question

MAEKS

White Belt
Reaction score
I will try and keep this simple. A family member received a black belt a few years ago from the well respected Master of the dojo which has the name and schools name on it.
Then as a gift recently received another black belt, from another schools higher ranking master. We are all friendly and respect each other in the MA field. I am also a martial artist. My question is would it be proper or respectable for the "family member" to wear the new black belt from the other instructor in the normal dojo? It is not a second degree or anything like that. A reg. black belt with no writing on it.
The thing is, it was presented to this family member at a leisurely function with the other master there.
There are good reasons behind this "gift" so if there are any questions....

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the reasons, and I expect the politics behind it.

However, all else being equal, I would only ever wear a belt given to me by my teacher (other than if I bought one myself to replace a worn one). I would never wear a belt given to me as a gift by someone who was never my teacher.

Honestly, it strikes me as a very odd gift.

OP
M

MAEKS

White Belt
Reaction score
I know. It sounds CRAZY! I was almost afraid to ask because it sounds odd!! I know this is not the norm. At least would think so. We are so grateful for our MA family though.
Nothing comes easy. We train, train, train.
My family has been involved with MA for a very long time and the second belt was almost a reward for the hard work and dedication by the family member. It seems as though there is always politics involved though. I'm glad I asked about it. Thank you for your input.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way too much thinking and effort into this...

Wear the belt you want to wear. It's a piece of cloth that recognizes your achievement. If you're at your primary school, wear the one with your name on it, since I kind of figure that most of the black belts are doing the same. Use the other when visiting or training outside... Or whatever... Seems that both master instructors are aware, and if they had a major preference, they would have told you.

OP
M

MAEKS

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. As usual I overthink though!!
You both have very good points. Yes, both Master instructors are aware. I think to play it safe the black belt earned after the actual test will be worn in the primary school. We just just wanted to do the most respectable thing. We always have plenty of other martial arts functions outside the regular dojo to use the other belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the reasons, and I expect the politics behind it.

However, all else being equal, I would only ever wear a belt given to me by my teacher (other than if I bought one myself to replace a worn one). I would never wear a belt given to me as a gift by someone who was never my teacher.

Honestly, it strikes me as a very odd gift.
I'm with this, mostly. Unless there are some politics that make it a friendly gesture (a senior instructor showing his approval of a less-senior instructor by giving the belt to a senior student of that instructor, perhaps). If there's no lineage, and not conveyance of positive recognition upon his instructor, your family member should probably wear the original belt. Better yet, he probably should ask his instructor for guidance as to whether there might be any reason he should wear the new one.

I assume from the tenor of the OP that there's something political in this that makes it feel funny. If my instructor's instructor had given me a new belt, I'd probably have worn it - it would have been an honor. If an instructor from another school in the association - who just happened to outrank my instructor - had given me a belt, I'd probably stick to my original. (A non-issue for us, as we all bought our own, but you get the point.)

OP
M

MAEKS

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. There will be a point when the family member will be in an position when both masters are there and the master from the other school might say jokingly where is his belt. Ahh! I hope he doesn't do that! :nailbiting: :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Maeks.

I can see where this might make for some discomfort, but only if you let it.
Go with the belt from the person who taught/promoted you. Because, well, they're the person who taught and promoted you.

As for the other belt, give it a place of honor....for about a day and a half, then throw it in a drawer.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with this, mostly. Unless there are some politics that make it a friendly gesture (a senior instructor showing his approval of a less-senior instructor by giving the belt to a senior student of that instructor, perhaps). If there's no lineage, and not conveyance of positive recognition upon his instructor, your family member should probably wear the original belt. Better yet, he probably should ask his instructor for guidance as to whether there might be any reason he should wear the new one.

I assume from the tenor of the OP that there's something political in this that makes it feel funny. If my instructor's instructor had given me a new belt, I'd probably have worn it - it would have been an honor. If an instructor from another school in the association - who just happened to outrank my instructor - had given me a belt, I'd probably stick to my original. (A non-issue for us, as we all bought our own, but you get the point.)

You are being too cryptic for me to want to give any advice. So even though I would like to agree with the bolded above, I hesitate to do so, expecting you haven't told us everything.

OP
M

MAEKS

White Belt
Reaction score
It is not me that I am referring to(although it might seem) but regardless it was a friendly gesture to the family member for what I stated above and like I said basically, it was given at a leisurely function. Nothing more. Anyway, thank you all. I appreciate the input.

OP
M

MAEKS

White Belt
Reaction score
One more thing. It actually does mean a lot to the family member to receive this belt from the other master. They feel honored either way. Whether it's saved, or worn. :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with the other guys, this is... weird, from a "typical" traditional point of view, IMO.

Questions not only about the politics, but the social backdrop, are floating around behind this.

But, answer is simple. Wear the teaching-promoting instructor's awarded belt when on His/her mat. Wear the other one, if you/they want to, when off it, particular if visiting the other guy's school and on That mat. Seems the simplest solution.

Unless the two are actually long-lost identical twins, where one of them has a beneficient personality and the other is hiding a malignantly hostile personality behind a personable sham.... in which case he/she shuld just run in fear and change schools entirely.

J/K.

Latest Discussions