Black Belt Mentality

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it's not just about for profit. Also that my point only partially address the layers of issues. But training for free, still involves no skin in the game/no mission/no real expected upcoming battle, will result in the same lack of a true warrior culture.
I don’t think the ego issues are necessarily removed by actual combat, either. There are plenty of egoists in the armed forces.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don’t think the ego issues are necessarily removed by actual combat, either. There are plenty of egoists in the armed forces.
I totally agree with that also! However, most of the guys I know who didn't just where the badge or the uniform, but actually survived real battles, understand their true vulnerability, and put the focus on team and the mission. The longer you are exposed to the harshness of evil, the more you tend to contemplate the moral aspects of how you want to live your life amongst that evil.

As martial arts instructors, ideally we represent the best of this warrior culture. But it's hard to do, if as an instructor you have never lived that life, and/or your focus is on the financial aspect of keeping students paying and interested. It comes down to priorities and shifting objectives to why martial arts training is being conducted.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do find that some people change their character (to some extent) when they emulate folk that they admire and try to fit into a community that they enjoy being part of
So attending a dojo, academy, dojang, club, place of work etc etc can influence how people develop in terms of their character

I agree that martial arts do generally teach a degree of humility through getting your *** kicked and the very high level martial artists that I've had direct exposure to seem to skew heavily towards the good character side of the spectrum. However, there are still many people who've made it through this process whilst retaining their poor character. I've also observed that arts/dojos that place a lot of emphasis on "respecting the grade" and/or codified modes of behaviour tend to do worse in this regard

@Olde Phart - If you want your black belts to be examples of good character then don't promote A holes

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, I think ego gets a bad rap. A strong ego can drive some people to greatness, especially in Martial Arts.
It can drive them to be better and to think they're great. I have met a lot of talented martial artists with big egos and a good amount of ability; yet it's often just surface karate. They don't dig deep because they think they know all there is to know when they get the advanced belts and accolades. I honestly don't know any martial artists I'd consider 'great' who have huge egos. It's often quite the opposite in my experience. However, my definition of greatness might be different than that of others.

OP
Olde Phart

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think . . . some of you . . . are holding back. Tell me what you REALLY think! (sarc)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For once, I'm going to disagree with you. Saying it keeps it in your mind, so at least you're going to progress towards it. I don't think it's necessary to build humble, courteous, uh...integral? Integrous? Anyway, you get my point. I don't think it's necessary to recite these traits to build them. However, I think it does more than 0. It keeps it in the mind of the student that these things are important. And it keeps it in the mind of the instructor to continue to work on it.
This is 100% a reflection of modern culture. Go anywhere in the world and anywhere in time and what is considered reasonable behavior and personality for a martial artist could be vastly different from the modern idea of a polite and humble, self-effacing, person. There are still some cultures yet today, as well as in the past, where a martial artist would be what modern western culture might consider arrogant and bragadocious, and others represented by a "short fuse," instant violence, and highly aggressive behavior. And there are any number of permutations and variations from literal head hunters (such as the Samurai) to true pacifists.

This topic comes up with a fair regularity and the preconceptions that people have frequently make me chuckle to myself. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I think ego gets a bad rap. A strong ego can drive some people to greatness, especially in Martial Arts.
Agreed. Like most things, it’s how it’s used, and how it affects others. And it’s not black or white, even then. Kobe was definitely egotistical by many measures, but teammates loved him for his drive and how he drove them. Competitors, too.

Latest Discussions