Bizarre Lawsuit threat over Google Ranking

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend sent me a link about this...It is to me hillarious....some .com business is threatening to sue some blogger because the blogger's website has a higher google rank than the .com business and the .com guy wants the blogger to remove his blog from the search term (.com guy doesn't understand google rankings!)

Here's links with the 3 emails, two from the business and one response from the blogger....

http://deanhunt.com/bizzare-google-request/

http://deanhunt.com/bizarre-google-request-update

from the first e-mail.....
I have been running the site for over two years and we have been ranked very highly for the search term [edited].
On Thursday morning I checked our google positions and your site is now above us for this term. I haev checked your blog and it has nothing to do with [edited], so I think it would be best all round if you remove your blog from google for this search term.
Please understand that we make our living from this, and you are just writing a blog that has nothing to do with [edited].
If you do not remove yourself from google for this search, then I will call them myself and have you removed.

this is just great....I hope google responds and sticks it to him....
unfortunetally i did some random seaching and this isn't an isolated incident...I wish you could sure someone for tryingn to intimidate you buy threatening to sue....maybe some of this garbage would stop....

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's bloody hysterical.

i have a similar relationship with a former business partner. he barks, i laugh, he barks some more, i ignore him. he goes away until the next time he feels like picking on somebody.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping, that's outrageous. The guy writing the would-be intimidating letters (it's hard to be genuinely intimidating if your logic and your ethics both sound like something from a two-year old, but this jerk doesn't know that) is gonna be very disappointed to learn about where the First Amendment is telling him he can stick his complaint...

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ping, that's outrageous. The guy writing the would-be intimidating letters (it's hard to be genuinely intimidating if your logic and your ethics both sound like something from a two-year old, but this jerk doesn't know that) is gonna be very disappointed to learn about where the First Amendment is telling him he can stick his complaint...

I think what scared me the most was really when I did some snooping around and found this wasn't a one time case, and yes you take everything with a grain of salt, but some things are just too out there to not be true sometimes...from another blog site....

A while back I had a client who received an angry email from a woman. He's a Boston-based plastic surgeon who provides aesthetician services in his office including hair removal. She ran a company in Arizona that did training in hair removal (or something like that) and for some reason used the name "Boston" in her name.
She was going to sue my client because he ranked higher than her in Google, and he was obviously trying to run her out of business. She had trademarked the name and he was infringing on her trademark. My advice was to ignore it, which he did.
She also sent me some angry, threatening emails because my contact info appeared on his site. I really wanted to "educate" her, but my instincts told my any advice I would give her would go into a black hole of ignorance. Her experience in hair removal probably had to do with getting people to tear their own hair out in frustration.

http://www.flyteblog.com/flyte/2006/12/people_who_just.html

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dean Hunt is a guy that specializes in getting peoples websites to rank higher on search engines. This, IMO, looks like, walks like, and smells like a google bomb. Story made up to get the reaction it did and draw the attention it did. Even a little further back in that blog he states that he plans to try a viral marketing campaign out.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dean Hunt is a guy that specializes in getting peoples websites to rank higher on search engines. This, IMO, looks like, walks like, and smells like a google bomb. Story made up to get the reaction it did and draw the attention it did. Even a little further back in that blog he states that he plans to try a viral marketing campaign out.

He could very well be manipulating the search results, but that last time I checked was not something you sued over....

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No no, not getting sued. I'm saying it's most likely no one is threatening to sue him and he wrote the letter himself to draw attention to his site.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No no, not getting sued. I'm saying it's most likely no one is threatening to sue him and he wrote the letter himself to draw attention to his site.

Hell... and we got suckered into it... :(

Latest Discussions