Life lessons

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share the life lessons I learned while trying to paint this week....

1) Paint thinner will eat through a plastic cup and get all over your floor
2) You can't clean oil based stain from a paint brush with soap and water
2b) Oil based stain will make your hands all sticky and not come off with soap and water - at least not easily and not without a LOT of soap and water..
3)If you put the second coat on before the first coat is dry....none of it will never dry...

Life lessons always learned the hard way.....*sigh*.....

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
hang in there, Ping.

did you learn lesson 4:

cat feet will be inexorably drawn to the flat roller pan the second your back is turned.

and 4.5:

paint-covered cat feet have an inexorable attraction to your wife's white laundry.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
hang in there, Ping.

did you learn lesson 4:

cat feet will be inexorably drawn to the flat roller pan the second your back is turned.

and 4.5:

paint-covered cat feet have an inexorable attraction to your wife's white laundry.

as do not have a cat I has not yet learned those....but I did just learn
1a)If the paint thinner spills in your bathroom turn on the bathroom fan else you will get high taking a leak....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lesson #6 Keep a full bottle of rubbing alcohol in the house at all times. It works wonders in getting the stuff off your hands. :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lesson 7: Paint drips will invariably find the one spot where the drop cloth has slipped.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lesson 8: you will miss a spot, maybe several, and not notice them until a week or so after you've forgotten where you put the paint can away.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lesson 9: When you thought you had your paint put away, your kids will find it and smear the stuff all over their beds.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lesson 8: you will miss a spot, maybe several, and not notice them until a week or so after you've forgotten where you put the paint can away.

Oh well I did notice this when I went to put on the second coat.....not that is matters as I have to sand it all off and start over now....*sigh*....

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) Paint thinner will eat through a plastic cup and get all over your floor

Gasoline will do this too. A kid I knew in jr high burned his house down cleaning his model paint brushes with gas in a styrofoam cup.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lesson 9: When you thought you had your paint put away, your kids will find it and smear the stuff all over their beds.
:lfao: Are you kidding???... they did it again? I thought the last time when it was facial cream they learned their lesson... :lol:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:lfao: Are you kidding???... they did it again? I thought the last time when it was facial cream they learned their lesson... :lol:
That wasn't facial cream, it was toothpaste. After doing that, it was permanent markers, then now it's modeling paint. There is something about kids' beds that say, "Mark Me, Mark Me!!!!" Of course, it is always done by the resident ghost named "Not Me".

Lesson 10: Markers, paint, anything can be used by kids as mass weapons of destruction. Keep them hidden well, preferably underground.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lesson 10: Markers, paint, anything can be used by kids as mass weapons of destruction. Keep them hidden well, preferably underground.

In locked containers, preferably with the key thrown away by accident long ago...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
That wasn't facial cream, it was toothpaste. After doing that, it was permanent markers, then now it's modeling paint. There is something about kids' beds that say, "Mark Me, Mark Me!!!!" Of course, it is always done by the resident ghost named "Not Me".

Have your kids call my kids, they can compare notes and really make our lives living hell. Do you find they tend to feed off each other, and what one doesn't think of, the others are right there with hideous suggestions to "improve" their ideas.

Rule 11- the container you choose to put the Paint thinner or Acetone in to clean said sticky brushes in will always have a special meaning to your wife/SA that you had no idea of.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping been there done that life lesson are great when it happens to someone else

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lesson # 12 When you step back to look for the spots you miss, you will either step in the paint pan or kick over the can.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have your kids call my kids, they can compare notes and really make our lives living hell. Do you find they tend to feed off each other, and what one doesn't think of, the others are right there with hideous suggestions to "improve" their ideas.

My kids are older now, but when my son was younger he had a friend who, while both kids were extremely intelligent, when they got together their brains were oppositely charged, so they cancelled each other out. Left me shaking my head on more than one occasion and worrying about their futures.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It makes me feel much better that other people run into these kinds of problems...I thought I was just hopelessly clumsy. Although, I'm buying a house soon, so I will be sure to post the hundreds of painful lessons I learn from that....