Birthday Parties

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My youngest daughter had two birthdays two years in a row at our school. Basically I supplied the cake and food and the instructor supplied the place and fun. She loved both her parties, it exposed some of her non MA friends to her training and a good time was had by all. It was a lot cheaper then going bowling or anything else like that and I could afford for her to invite more friends then normally would be allowed.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea for the students to share their interests with their friends, to expose them and their parents (our school district forbids any MA flyers) and for the school to build their reputation. Really alot more fun than going bowling, rollerskating, or pool party which seems common. But I'm partial. ;) TW

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My dojo does b-day parties also. I can't recall the price, but these are held for two hours on Saturdays. The party consists of a fun class of kenpo drills and techniques, a rock climbing session, and of course the food/drinks. The parent(s) provide the cake. Kids love it... and the instructors have so much fun.

- Ceicei

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me the Dojo is some what of a sacred place. It is a place where you can forget about everything but learning your art. Where you can completly consintrate.

I recently got out of a relationship that was good but ended bad. I mean I was at the end of my rope and when I went to the Dojo, we didn't talk about relationships or anything like that we only studied the art. I didn't even think about her. She broke my heart and when I was in the Dojo she didn't matter.

That is why I belive the dojo should be kept sacred and only use it for learning your art. Keep your personal life (I.E. Parties) outside the Dojo. Sure someones birthday can be mentioned in class and invitations to the party at a diferant location can be handed out, and you/your child can be wished a happy birthday. But don't let it take presidence over learning the art

That is just my personal opinion, meaning no disrespect.

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well "Sin" makes a valid point, and the dojo does have a sacred meaning and place.

The birthday parties are a business opportunity for after hours times in the dojo. ie, Saturday afternoons & or Sundays. This would not affect the regular students or there training times. In fact, the majority of students would not know that there was a party planned or that there was a party there. You would still be able to relax and do your training as you probably would not be there when any of the party activities happen.

Again, this is for a parent to BUY a party. So they will be inviting other kids,(including non karate student friends) parents and family members to attend. So as a member of your dojo, if you were not invited to this private, paid for birthday party, you would not be there. In fact, you probably would not know anything of the party. You probably would not even know that there had been a party there.

With my dojo set up, the party aspect of tables, chairs, food, drink, decorations, etc. would be in my lobby area. The dojo area is still the training area. So the birthday party attendees would have the fun activities in the dojo. Karate type drills and games, basic strikes, kicks, & blocks would be taught as well as some basic self defense techniques.

So this will enable the dojo the potential to make a little extra money as well as get some new people into the dojo to see what goes on there. The hopefull intent here is not the money, but the potential to meet and eventually get some new students.

As a young, enthusiastic student, Sin may not know how much time, planning and money it takes to advertise for students. Keep in mind Sin, without new students coming in, your dojo would eventually close. Ask your instructor how much it costs to run an ad. How much it cost for a yellow page ad per month.

So think about a birthday party this way. With a birthday party, instead of paying out money for an ad to get people to hear about your dojo, the party hosts are paying me to come to my school for a couple of hours, and they are going to pay me to bring guest with them. I am getting paid to be a host and show them a good time. I am going to put on a karate show with them participating. The idea here is that the kids will have a great time. The partents will see this and may enroll their kids. If they don't do this, at least they will have been in my school, met me and seen what and how I teach. Again, if they did not enroll, down the road if they happen to think about taking karate classes, they will think about me and my school. If the parent hears someone talking about taking karate classes, they will remember and recommend my school.

So again, from a business aspect, instead of paying for an ad, in this instance of a birthday party, I will get paid and I may get some new students from it. Our sacred dojo has to have new students to stay open, or you would not have a place to train. There are exceptions to this I am sure, but if you train in a school where your instructor has to pay rent and make a living from teaching, your instructor also needs new students coming in. He or she may not agree with birthday parties, but your instuctor does have methods in place to attract new students. Birthday parties is another potential method to attract new students and get paid doing it.

No disrespect taken. Sin, you may e-mail me anytime with questions.

Yours in Kenpo,
Teej

P

pakua

Sin said:
Where you can completly consintrate.

.... on your speling :supcool:

But seriously, this had never occured to me. I think it's a great idea. My 11 year old son's friends are all pretty active (soccer, hockey, cricket etc) so why not a Karaty Party. Brilliant.

And what's more there's a McD about 1km away to provide the nosh.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see that you want new students coming in all the time, but there are alternitives. Say if one of your students is having a B-Day party and its outside the Dojo. You can go to the party and hand out flyers or Bussness cards (etc) and on those cards you can put on there. Like "Free Week of Karate Classes" ANd as people come in and partisipate they can join the school or not in there weeks vist there.

All in all there are many ways of keeping a Dojo running. Just try not to stray to far from the traditional aspect of MA

M

MartialMom

Sin

The sanctity of a place of practice, worship, meditation, etc. is only tainted by other influences if you allow them to be.

Birthday parties are harmless and in my case nothing more than a pre-paid class with x number of children who eat cake and ice cream in the lobby either before or after. I do not see anything that ruins the sanctity of the Dojo or demeans the traditional value of what is being taught.

I'm not going to speak for other parents, however, I would be disapointed if Sensei came to my 7 year old's birthday party that was not held at the Dojo and began passing fliers and free passes to my guests. That is commercialized intrusion and I know most people hate being sold something when it is inapproapriate and unexpected, like at birthday parties. I would loose respect for my Sensei if this occured. Parties at the Dojo prepare the parents to expect that they will probably be offered free classes and/or asked to fill out visitor cards.

There is peace found in tolerance of others and the internal sanctity and respect for Martial Arts that trivial things cannot remove from you, if you carry this into whatever place you practice and/or meditate it can and will become as sacred as any Dojo ever has been. Such things are maintained by the energy brought rather than the building it is brought to.

Enjoy your weekend.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with MartialMom, that is not very tactful to show up at a birthday party and start handing out flyers. There is a time and place to do it. If it is held at your school then it could be done.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Something else I have tried and gotten a few students from it. Each Christmas year, I give each student a gift certificate for one month of classes (value $65) They then can give it too anyone they would like. On the certificate there is a From so my student can put there name on it. And To so they can give it to a friend. With some family budgets tight, this is a good way to promote the school.

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sin does have a good idea here. Oh coures you would want to be invited to pass out info. If you did know of a student having a party, kids parties usually give out goody treat bags with small gifts to those kids attending the party. So how about offering to give the parent gift certificates for some free classes that the parents can put in the goody bags as part of the gifts to the kids attending?

Teej

(I think Sin realizes you would need to be invited to pass stuff out, it just wasnt' worded that way. And the business owner/instructor also realizes this. Still a good idea there Sin. Thats what these forums are all about for me, stimulating different thoughts and ideas. Nice job! )

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If your gonna have the B-day in the dojo keep it respectful to the Dojo and to the art. don't allow it to be tainted with impurities.

Rememmber its a dojo not a recreation hall that can be rented out the the highest bidder.

R

RHD

I understand the needs of a martial business owner to survive and grow financially.

The problem I have with the brithday party thing is that it reduces your school to "martial themed" Chucky Cheese at least for a few hours. I would find this highly distasteful if I were an adult student of serious intent. However, I recognize aas a teacher that out of the average body of enrollment, there are relatively few adults who would fit that description.

So...If it helps you stay alive and prosper, and you have the tolerance and interest in doing that sort of thing...Good for you. It's a shame though, that after all that sweat and blood sacrificed to get where you are, to stay there you have to be an entertainment service. :shrug:

Mike

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
If your gonna have the B-day in the dojo keep it respectful to the Dojo and to the art. don't allow it to be tainted with impurities.

Rememmber its a dojo not a recreation hall that can be rented out the the highest bidder.
Dont worship the room. It's only wood, metal and stone. Save your respect for the arts and their masters. You can train anywhere from your garage, to the beach, to the street or public park.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Adept said:
Dont worship the room. It's only wood, metal and stone. Save your respect for the arts and their masters. You can train anywhere from your garage, to the beach, to the street or public park.
Excellent point! For most people, it is just that--training can be done any where...

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions