inappropriate behavior

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know we had had some discussions similar to this before but I thought I would once again bring up the subject.
How do you as a school owner handle situations where a student or instructor has been accused of inappropriate behavior with in the school.

Do you talk to all parties involved one at a time and/or together
Do you take into account how long it was from the alleged behavior till when it was reported to you ( same day vs two weeks, etc.)
Do you suspend or kick out the party causing the offense
Do you ask other students or instructors if they witnessed anything
Do you ever let the parties involved work out together or do you even let them on the floor at the same time again

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a great question - but I can't give you a straight answer. It depends too much on what happened, by whom, and to whom. Every situation is different, and every student has to be treated as an individual. And then, too, I teach a class - not run a school - and it's only very rarely that I am not present in the class when it's in session, so the question of "reporting" to me outside of the class the problem occurs in rarely comes up.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd have to weigh the accusation, the accuser, the student and the instructor and then make a decision based on the case. All the responses you listed might be used, it would really depend on the situation.

For example, I have a student who's a bit of a drama queen and also been caught exaggerating if not outright lying. If she were to accuse an instuctor I'd known for over a decade, I'd probably just let it slide.

As another example, I recently had a program mom come to me about how one of my instructors had called her cell phone and invited her to a church function. Knowing the instructor as well as I do, I could tell her without doubt that he wasn't hitting on her. He just tends to invite anybody who mentions God to him at one time or another. A quick talk with him and he now knows not to use contact information that he's not given directly.

On the other hand, if a student I know well reported an instructor I didn't know as well, or an instructor whose personality supported the accusation, that instructor would be out of there in short order.

It really would depend on the exact circumstances of each situation.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is what I have done as a manager, not as a school owner.

Do you talk to all parties involved one at a time and/or together

This is what I have done as a manager, not as a school owner.

Always always always always have the inital convo with the two parties one at a time. If the reporting party is under 18 -or- if the offense was clear and egregious, call 911 immediately and have the police handle the situation.

Do you take into account how long it was from the alleged behavior till when it was reported to you ( same day vs two weeks, etc.)

Rarely, unless it was an extremely long time back. The damage from sexual abuse can take time for the victim to understand what is going on and what isn't right.

Do you suspend or kick out the party causing the offense

Depends on how severe the behaviour was.

Most states have civil rights laws that are supported by a civil rights office, ours is MCAD (Mass Coalition Against Discrimination). If anything went on that went contrary to MCAD guidelines...see ya.

Keep in mind that that these are civil rights laws. A school is not a court of law, innocent before proven guilty does not apply when it is your responsibilty to remove a threat from your school . Sexual Harassment is a criminal behaviour in Massachusetts. School owners have responsibilities under the law to keep their schools free from such behaviour.

A school owner may face civil liability or criminal charges if they do not take actions compliant with the law.

Do you ask other students or instructors if they witnessed anything

If it is reaonably certain that specific person would have information helpful to the investigation, then yes. Otherwise, the fewer that know...the better. Let the reporting party keep as much of their dignity as they can.

Do you ever let the parties involved work out together or do you even let them on the floor at the same time again[/quote]

If there are legit concerns about the accused party, the accused party shouldn't be at the school period.

sholo86

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't own/manage a school, but have dealt with similar situations before being in the military and all.

Inappropriate behavior comes in many shape, size, and color. Not knowing the whole story makes it difficult for me to answer your question, but generally speaking, here's my two cents based on my experience (minus the military connotation to it :));

a) I would talk to the individuals (accuser, accused, and witnesses if any) separately and find out what really happened. Make sure to take note.

b) If it is something that clearly violates local or federal laws that is out there now, then by all means dismiss the guilty party and advise the "victim/accuser" to report the incident to the authorities.

c) If the accuser "misunderstood" the intent of the other person's behavior, then have a meeting between the two parties with you as mediator. Discuss what happened then take appropriate actions to make sure this type of "misunderstanding" does not happen again in your school.

Inappropriate behavior is all about how the other person percieves the behavior and not about the intent. If ONE person in your school percieves a joke, statement, or action as inappropriate, then it is, and it needs to stop.

The good thing about being in the military is that the Services are very clear on its policies when it comes to sexual harrassment, discrimination, and unprofessional behaviors...it's just NOT TOLERATED. So, as a supervisor, I can use this same regs and policies as a guide when dealing with situations like this and take actions accordingly.

Latest Discussions