Biggest martial art bs stories

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what about this do you disagree with?

Nada, I think Dewey is spot on. Frankly it’s all part of the TMA delusion I’ve discussed earlier. Part of that delusion is believing that your “complete” martial art gives you the tools to beat a trained fighter.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nada, I think Dewey is spot on. Frankly it’s all part of the TMA delusion I’ve discussed earlier. Part of that delusion is believing that your “complete” martial art gives you the tools to beat a trained fighter.
Well then that makes two of us and I've said as much when seeing the "kung fu Master" vs MMA videos. It's evident by their footwork that they have never sparred before let alone have ever been in a real fight.

They have that frantic footwork or not enough of it. They don't recognize opportunities that other people would have taken, It's clear that they uncomfortable with the situation of fighting. They always try to fight with minimum effort. By this I mean, they take on the mindset that they barely have to do much to win. You can see the fear eating him alive. There's no way a person, who is getting quality sparring in, would respond this way. These are reactions that beginners often have.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So when I say Kata or forms in traditional martial arts, you have no idea what I’m talking about?

Of course I do. This is what comes to mind:

If you were to say 'Karate kata' or 'solo kata' or 'Taolu', I would have in mind what you are discussing.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course I do. This is what comes to mind:
If you were to say 'Karate kata' or 'solo kata' or 'Taolu', I would have in mind what you are discussing.

And see, I would consider something like that a demonstration.

Anyway, I view something like that to be about as useful as kata in terms of fighting (i.e. not very useful).

Very pretty to look at that though.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Recently, my cousin wanted me to help her find a martial arts school for her kids. She didn't approve of Bjj, so I suggested TKD or a local karate dojo. We visited both classes, and execution of the techniques were simply horrid. However, it was perfect for her children so I suggested the TKD school because the kicking impressed the girls. Compared to that, the environment I learned Karate in was absolutely spectacular.

It wasn't the environment, it was the training, and it was highly traditional training that stressed kata practice and the perfection of technique alongside "semi-hard contact sparring". When I went up against the boxer, I was up against a superior athlete utilizing a superior method, backed by a superior system of training. In short, boxing is simply the superior fighting method. There's no way around that. When I studied boxing for a few months after leaving Shotokan, that reality was quite obvious. I became a better fighter in 6 months of boxing than I did with 8 years of karate.
I can see that. Shotokan is steeped in tradition. Even more modern Shotokan that leaves out true Kata can be pretty rigid.
So, to be clear, you went from Shotokan to boxing to BJJ. Is this correct?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can see that. Shotokan is steeped in tradition. Even more modern Shotokan that leaves out true Kata can be pretty rigid.
So, to be clear, you went from Shotokan to boxing to BJJ. Is this correct?

I spent some time with TKD, Tang Soo Do, and Judo in between Boxing and Bjj, but for the most part yes.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
And we have several effective MA styles that do.
Yep my primary style has katas and I’ve defended myself successfully so by the logic being used here. They are effective and at worst they haven’t made me not able to defend myself. Fact is can you train nothing but katas and learn to fight? Of course not. But that’s the same with any training drill it’s not one drill it’s a whole load of things put together. I enjoy katas for what they are. I do them every morning as a but of light exercise before work where I’m still doing martial art movements. I’m punching I’m kicking and I’m blocking. It’s a much more better use of my time than sitting on my butt

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep my primary style has katas and I’ve defended myself successfully so by the logic being used here. They are effective and at worst they haven’t made me not able to defend myself. Fact is can you train nothing but katas and learn to fight? Of course not. But that’s the same with any training drill it’s not one drill it’s a whole load of things put together. I enjoy katas for what they are. I do them every morning as a but of light exercise before work where I’m still doing martial art movements. I’m punching I’m kicking and I’m blocking. It’s a much more better use of my time than sitting on my butt

Anecdotal evidence isn't the best evidence.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
because the fundamental training basis of karate is flawed and archaic.
I think you should specify "Shotokan Karate" as being flawed. Since this is where your experience for it not working, comes from.

Lumping all karate, as one, doesn't really make sense.

Besides, I believe Gichins son modifiedit specifically for competition, especially the Katas from what I understand.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you should specify "Shotokan Karate" as being flawed. Since this is where your experience for it not working, comes from.

Besides, I believe Gichins son modifiedit specifically for competition, especially the Katas from what I understand.
You see it often on this forum. Someone will bash a general system using a specific style or experience. Unfortunately it is usually hard to sway their opinion once they have 'figured it all out' for themselves. We sure can be hard headed creatures.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Nope, all of karate. Take away all of the archiac stuff, and you're left with kickboxing. If you're still learning cat stances and middle blocks, you're still stuck in the archiac fluff.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, all of karate. Take away all of the archiac stuff, and you're left with kickboxing. If you're still learning cat stances and middle blocks, you're still stuck in the archiac fluff.
So you are willing to say that Nothing you learned from your TMA experience translated to the stuff you do today?