Coolest Real thing that you have ever experienced in Martial Arts

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So the only rule to this is that, it has to be true. It doesn't have to be spectacular in order for it to be cool. It only has to be cool.

For me I only have three things that were really cool.

1. One day while sparring against another instructor, we some how started punching down the same path at the same time. The result was that our fist met head on, and you could hear bone hit bone each time. This wasn't something that we were trying to do, but it was just like out of the Movies. He would do his technique and I would do mine technique and then you'll hear the bone hit bone as our punches collided with each other. That went on for about 3 minutes and we probably had maybe 6 or 7 collisions. We kind of blew it off the first 2 times but after that, it became weird. This happened without gloves on and we weren't going full force. Had I not actually experienced it myself, I would have call BS on it happening more than twice. Unfortunately that day I wasn't recording but it would have been cool to capture that on film.

2. The cool thing that happened to me was also during sparring. It was me vs Sanda and the Sanda guy is good and sneaky. He was good enough where he can take what you are doing and use it against you during the fight. So one day we are sparring and I was trying to lure him in which I know people can pick that up, but what I didn't realize, not only did he pick up what I was doing but he understood what I was trying to do to him. So about 20 seconds later I decide to try to pull of this technique, where I need him charge towards me. At that moment I jumped back and he jumped back as well and was trying to pull off the same thing I was trying to set him up for. We did the same technique at the same time. To those on the outside it doesn't look like much, but at that moment I knew and he knew that both of us were playing chess that day.

3. I was sparring with a black belt and he was similar to the guy in #2. It was almost like, a match of "whatever you can do I can do." I get in a successful take down he lands a successful take down. He goes for a sweep I go for a sweep. All of this #2 and #3 happened during light sparring where it was light enough for us to take risks. This one was cool to me because, it started to feel like a battle of techniques. He was showing me that he could pull off his techniques and a I responded in kind.

That Sanda school is awesome and the students at that school are awesome. I'm glad I had a chance to spar with them when I did. Lots of laughs that day.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me the first time I broke a brick with a jab. Two students were holding the brick. It was all speed.
My teacher said I was fast enough, I just had to be completely commented.
I worked on the moment and my speed for 2 months before I tried it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is this thread for bragging?

1. A wrestler attacked me from behind in a parking lot. He gave me a bear hug from behind. He squeezed my body so hard and broke his own ribs.

2. I rode a horse in the woods. The horse ran toward a tree branch in front of my chest. I did a back flip and landed on my feet on the ground. Even today, I still don't know how did I managed to pull my feet out of stirrup that fast.

3. I used to be able to land my jumping kick on my opponent's chest from 15 feet away (picture was taken 45 years ago).

my-jump.jpg

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. A wrestler attacked me from behind in a parking lot. He gave me a bear hug from behind. He squeezed my body so hard and broke his own ribs.
Oh so this was for real the last time you said it?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry that I may have repeated this. Memory is the only thing that I have left today. :arghh:

My friends used to call me "iron man" after that day. :D
When you originally said that someone broke there ribs trying to squeeze you, I thought you were being funny, But now that you are saying it in the this thread, I'm shocked lol. Your memory is fine. I just thought you were joking. Like joking about how tough someone is, that when you look up the definition of tough it shows a picture of you.

Must have been embarrassing for that wrestler.

Is this thread for bragging?
No not bragging. Just things that you think were cool. It doesn't matter how big or small. For example, that guy that guy who tried to copy my technique and use it on me and then we did the same technique at the same time. That's not anything special. But it was cool to me. We had the same technique at the same time and I was just amazed that he was able to do it. So that's not bragging.

Being able to break a brick with a jab. Not a big cool factor in general, but if I jabbed a brick and it broke, I think I would be impressed with myself.

Jumping 15 feet is impressive to me. I used to do long jump as a teen but was never good at it. I was really bad with getting vertical lift. Had I thought of it at the time, I should have planted a box for me to jump over so I could learn to get my vertical jump. I wonder why the coach never thought of that. lol.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jumping 15 feet is impressive to me.
It's 2 steps jump. Step in and land right foot, jump up with right foot, and kick out left leg. The 15 feet include the 1st helping step too.

I like footwork that can cover far distance. Last week, I could still use this running punch footwork to cover 18 feet distance. In other words, if my opponent retreats less than 18 feet, I can still reach him.

This is the long fist strategy - when my opponent thinks he is in a safe distance, I can still reach him.

This footwork include front kick, right punch, left punch, use left punch as stiff arm guard, chase opponent backward, and land with another right punch.

running-punch-slow.gif

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's 2 steps jump. Step in and land right foot, jump up with right foot, and kick out left leg.

I like footwork that can cover far distance. Last week, I could still use this running punch footwork to cover 18 feet distance. In other words, if my opponent retreats less than 18 feet, I can still reach him.

This is the long fist strategy - when my opponent thinks he is in a safe distance, I can still reach him.

running-punch-slow.gif
Oh thanks for the clarification. That clears things up in my mind. I was about to say.. dang you should have gone into the Olympics. Sill impressive. I've tried to do competitive double jump which is similar to what I'm looking at in the video with the exception of the types of steps taken. Kung fu is hard enough as it is.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh thanks for the clarification. That clears things up in my mind. I was about to say.. dang you should have gone into the Olympics. Sill impressive. I've tried to do competitive double jump which is similar to what I'm looking at in the video with the exception of the types of steps taken. Kung fu is hard enough as it is.
I should say that the 15 feet include the 1st helping step too.

The TKD flying side kick can cover far distance too. They also use running steps to achieve that.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This may sound somewhat tangential but it has resonated with me my entire life.
On the last day of my Olympic run I woke up severely in pain, I had a juicy black eye, a cracked rib and a very painful soft tissue rib injury. I remember wondering "what the hell was a 26 year old non sponsored person doing going against all these 17-18 year old sponsored athletes"? I was late to check-in but dragged myself up and got going (without 'additives', which were living large at the time). I won my next fight pretty easily. The next fight was about 45 minutes later and the Tiger Balm was wearing off. We went into the last round tied but my opponent knew about my ribs and had been really trying to exploit it. I made a bad move and exposed my weak side and he landed a hard spinning kick. I went down, took my allowed 1 minute medical time out. I went out and finished the match. The pain was something I will never forget but was able to put it in the background enough to finish the job. I lost by one point but he was never able to score again. That ended my run but I have always felt very good about being able to will myself to finish the match. I got x-rays later that day and confirmed I had two fully broken ribs.
When I tested for 3rd Dan I unexpectedly had to do a blindfolded running, jumping, spinning kick on 5 boards. On the first kick I missed just enough for my heel to glance off the board and I landed awkwardly injuring my kicking legs ankle. I immediately knew something was wrong but in the moment I was able to draw myself and do the kick again, this time successfully. In a matter of minutes my ankle was huge. The next day I found out that I have broken off a quarter size piece of bone on my ankle.
For me, in retrospect these were pretty cool moments that I still remember with clarity. I had to do a dissertation for my 7th Dan in MDK TKD and it is titled The Armor of Do. I used these and several other experiences are references.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw my capoeira teacher’s teacher playing a game with another highly skilled capoeirista. The other fellow threw a high kick, my teacher’s teacher stepped in and guided the kick to land harmlessly on top of his shoulder and then gave a simple shoulder shrug, which unbalanced and threw the other guy on the ground. It was perfect simplicity.

The timing and positioning were perfect and the subtlety was exquisite. That was a display of awesome skill.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
This may sound somewhat tangential but it has resonated with me my entire life.
On the last day of my Olympic run I woke up severely in pain, I had a juicy black eye, a cracked rib and a very painful soft tissue rib injury. I remember wondering "what the hell was a 26 year old non sponsored person doing going against all these 17-18 year old sponsored athletes"? I was late to check-in but dragged myself up and got going (without 'additives', which were living large at the time). I won my next fight pretty easily. The next fight was about 45 minutes later and the Tiger Balm was wearing off. We went into the last round tied but my opponent knew about my ribs and had been really trying to exploit it. I made a bad move and exposed my weak side and he landed a hard spinning kick. I went down, took my allowed 1 minute medical time out. I went out and finished the match. The pain was something I will never forget but was able to put it in the background enough to finish the job. I lost by one point but he was never able to score again. That ended my run but I have always felt very good about being able to will myself to finish the match. I got x-rays later that day and confirmed I had two fully broken ribs.
When I tested for 3rd Dan I unexpectedly had to do a blindfolded running, jumping, spinning kick on 5 boards. On the first kick I missed just enough for my heel to glance off the board and I landed awkwardly injuring my kicking legs ankle. I immediately knew something was wrong but in the moment I was able to draw myself and do the kick again, this time successfully. In a matter of minutes my ankle was huge. The next day I found out that I have broken off a quarter size piece of bone on my ankle.
For me, in retrospect these were pretty cool moments that I still remember with clarity. I had to do a dissertation for my 7th Dan in MDK TKD and it is titled The Armor of Do. I used these and several other experiences are references.
Amazing!

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watching my coach fight in the UFC was pretty exiting. Especially coming from a small club in a rural town.
I always like things like that. Where we sometimes really put people high up, but you had the opportunity to have him as a coach. I like down to earth stuff like that.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The next day I found out that I have broken off a quarter size piece of bone on my ankle.
Wow.. that's crazy. My skin crawls just thinking about that. You are a tough cookie. I can't can't say I would have pushed through broken ribs, but I guess with things like the Olympics it's all or nothing. It's not like one could say, I'll try again next year.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw my capoeira teacher’s teacher playing a game with another highly skilled capoeirista. The other fellow threw a high kick, my teacher’s teacher stepped in and guided the kick to land harmlessly on top of his shoulder and then gave a simple shoulder shrug, which unbalanced and threw the other guy on the ground. It was perfect simplicity.

The timing and positioning were perfect and the subtlety was exquisite. That was a display of awesome skill.
It's things like that, where I see how important it is to video as much of one's martial arts, but it should be done in a way where the people involved aren't really aware of the camera. That would have been nice to see.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's things like that, where I see how important it is to video as much of one's martial arts, but it should be done in a way where the people involved aren't really aware of the camera. That would have been nice to see.
We had it on film, it was at a Batizado/graduation/promotion ceremony. I no longer have it, it was back in the VHS days, mid 1990s. But I would be very surprised if my teacher does not have it yet.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We had it on film, it was at a Batizado/graduation/promotion ceremony. I no longer have it, it was back in the VHS days, mid 1990s. But I would be very surprised if my teacher does not have it yet.
Awesome. The head of the Jow Ga organization in Maryland did similar things. not the cool move but he has a lot of stuff on film and VHS and has started to convert it into digital format. The collection of what he has is like a library.

If there was one thing I wish there was more of, is footage of actual Martial arts from people who actually knew how to use it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always like things like that. Where we sometimes really put people high up, but you had the opportunity to have him as a coach. I like down to earth stuff like that.

They got to spend a decent portion of their time playing fan boy as well.

Here they are schmoozing with connor.

Last edited:

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me the first time I broke a brick with a jab. Two students were holding the brick. It was all speed.
My teacher said I was fast enough, I just had to be completely commented.
I worked on the moment and my speed for 2 months before I tried it.

The coolest thing I have felt and saw was Jack Hwang taking on six of us at one time.
He kick me so hard in the stomach, I thought I would never breath again.
when he was finished with us he took on another six.
When I say finished, we were not getting off the ground.
It was like watching a movie.
_7ZjfcHLa_4sPE6uJ-ZNbl5d5nroFSrzez2BjliidHi_K5tJStRLZIlVSxw0y3lKXWVDdx8JxyPu_A0QGzohRxuYUZ7eqf5iv0pNE8tUEpXg55xNyWEhdeDN_wnfZy2D7rTY92mg

watch 44 seconds into video see him do two side kicks at same time 6 ft in the air.

Last edited: