What the martial arts mean to me

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I'm in a reflective mood for some reason. But I was thinking about my life as a whole and thought I'd share some thoughts about martial arts.

My firms exposure to them wasn't a Bruce lee movie or anything like but simply my cousin competing in a local tournament and I went to watch when I was 8. It was cool and I enjoyed watching but it didn't inspire me to start or anything but a few years later I wanted to try something new. I was hopeless at all other sport and got bullied a lot so I thought what the hell. So I joined my local kenpo dojo and trained there for 10 years getting to my 1st brown belt (1 before black) but the politics involved and all the bs around made me look elsewhere. That's when I started boxing when I was 18 and loved the physical challenge so I started competing to simply test myself from there I moved on to kickboxing and mma.

When I gave up fighting I continued to just train by myself at home and it became a routine but I kind of lost interest for a number of years. I was just something I did to stay in shape now not something to truly style, but then when I joined this site and saw all the different people and styles I got the bug again and found a new kenpo dojo and carried on training there and got my black belt a while later.

I've also began training at a Muay Thai gym.

The thing I love is that everyone has the same interest and everyone wants nothing more than to work together and better themselves. I enjoy learning new things not for combat or anything like that but simply to observe and learn, since there's so much out there I want to see as much as I can and explore myself of who I am as a person.

I believe martial arts is the most honest hobby you can have. It's really impossible to think you know everything because as soon as you do someone will come and slap you back to reality that you know very little. In other sports you can get a bit of skill and believe you've learnt it all and just go through the motions. But any serious martial artist knows you never stop learning even the best of the best can learn more

Also the fact it can bring anyone together from different lives that woudknt normally meet. E.g bankers can train with bikers etc and there's no prejudice based on social class since what means anything in a school is your skill and your social class doesn't determine your skill.

Sorry for the rambling just fancied posting this.