Biggest martial art bs stories

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And Kyokushin has spent the last 30 or so years trying to rival Muay Thai, which has no kata, and has largely been unsuccessful, which has led professional Japanese fighters to choose Muay Thai over Kyokushin.

Not true. Muay Thai absolutely has kata. Ever had someone show you how to do something? Kata.

D

Deleted member 39746

Not true. Muay Thai absolutely has kata. Ever had someone show you how to do something? Kata.

I dont think Muay Thai does. And i think the show you how to do something, shouldnt be transfered into the meaning of kata or what is meant by it.

I always find the "this is kata" in a non japanese speaking country a bit odd, its a japanese word and has a meaning in japanese that isnt 1:1 translatable in english. This isnt getting into fuckery that modern karate and **** is now, with the adapted kata and kata only and kata focus competitions, which are vastly diffrent from "show you how its done". The latter is, "copy my punch, ok you did this wrong" After explaining to you and showing you how that punch is done. Hell you even do "show you how its done" in the places you do "kata" at. And the punch is normally done from the base guard, or in the context it is to be used in, like if you go to boxijng, you egt taught guard, then strikes from the guard, if you do karate kata, not so much. The guard isnt that functional, its a seperate add on later on, not at the same time of you learning the punch, or with the kata.

Kind of ranty and rambeley, but i dont know why i just dislike the angilisation of kata, when its a japnese word with a japanese meaning which isnt 1:1 with english. (and several diffrent ones at that, from the diffrent kata, and then there is the common meaning of kata and what you visualise when you cite it)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know him or his mom. But I knew about her when I was hanging around Boston. Read a couple comments made by Mike Tyson after his Ip Man movie, as well as a few comments my the Hong Kong Martial Arts crowd, and I can believe it to

There's a reason why Chan Poi moved out of Boston and all the way to Orlando....;)

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kind of ranty and rambeley, but i dont know why i just dislike the angilisation of kata, when its a japnese word with a japanese meaning which isnt 1:1 with english. (and several diffrent ones at that, from the diffrent kata, and then there is the common meaning of kata and what you visualise when you cite it)

Yeah you've kinda made my point for me. Traditionally Japanese kata is two person drilling; ie 'here, do it like this'.

The notion that is being perpetuated in this thread - kata = solo dance - is wrong. So yes, Muay Thai does have kata, just not the misunderstood notion of it.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah you've kinda made my point for me. Traditionally Japanese kata is two person drilling; ie 'here, do it like this'.

The notion that is being perpetuated in this thread - kata = solo dance - is wrong. So yes, Muay Thai does have kata, just not the misunderstood notion of it.

Obviously there’s a significant difference between drilling and a kata. The kata as expressed in Okinawan and Japanese Karate (and Kung Fu forms) is more along the lines of a choreographed dance routine. If I’m doing 10 snap kicks in a row from back stance, I’m not doing a kata.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kata is one of the main differences. There are a lot of kata in Kyokushin. However, I will say that Kyokushin’s lack of punching to the head could be another major factor.
Could be. So, how can you reliably separate out kata as being the essential difference?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kata is useful = Complete BS.
ha ha ha.. there you go again..
They-Are-Your-Buttons.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or we can simply look across the board and see how styles that lack kata fair against styles that do kata. If we're seeing that styles that lack kata are doing just as well (if not better) than styles that use kata, then how are those kata-based styles benefitting from kata practice?

Another example, Bjj doesn't have kata, but Judo does. Bjj works just fine against Judo, and kata practice gives Judo no distinct advantage over Bjj.
A lack of advantage doesn’t mean it is useless. It could also mean it’s as effective as whatever that time is spent on in BJJ. Or it may be better, and something else in Judo is worse.

I think you’re confounding a single element with an overall difference in approach, in a lot of these arts.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lack of advantage doesn’t mean it is useless. It could also mean it’s as effective as whatever that time is spent on in BJJ. Or it may be better, and something else in Judo is worse.

I think you’re confounding a single element with an overall difference in approach, in a lot of these arts.

However the other side of the coin is that martial arts without Kata work just fine. Literally nothing is lost. So the question is, in what way does kata benefit martial arts practice to the point that it is mandatory in those disciplines?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However the other side of the coin is that martial arts without Kata work just fine. Literally nothing is lost. So the question is, in what way does kata benefit martial arts practice to the point that it is mandatory in those disciplines?
That’s a useful question. Are you looking for an answer, or is it rhetorical?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't know him, but knew his mom back when I was at M.I.T.

I can believe it.
How does everyone know Donnie Yen's Mom? Like literally a Jow Ga Sifu posted a picture of Some Jow Ga students and Dean chin, and when he was naming the people in the picture it was like "Donnie Yen's mother".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or we can simply look across the board and see how styles that lack kata fair against styles that do kata. If we're seeing that styles that lack kata are doing just as well (if not better) than styles that use kata, then how are those kata-based styles benefitting from kata practice?

Another example, Bjj doesn't have kata, but Judo does. Bjj works just fine against Judo, and kata practice gives Judo no distinct advantage over Bjj.
But now your reasoning and logic are just changing again.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I knew a guy who said that his master could hide his heart beat by moving his heart elsewhere in his body.
He actually believed that story. Yow.
Now that's crazy... I wonder how many people would actually think someone can move a heart somewhere else in the body.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's because you suck lol

Yes, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the structure of the typical structure of Karate versus the structure of boxing. You can see it on display in this video here;

BTW, the exact same thing occurred to Chinese Kung fu when it encountered western boxing in the early 20th century, and its happening now with MMA rolling through all the Kung Fu "masters" over there.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Obviously there’s a significant difference between drilling and a kata. The kata as expressed in Okinawan and Japanese Karate (and Kung Fu forms) is more along the lines of a choreographed dance routine. If I’m doing 10 snap kicks in a row from back stance, I’m not doing a kata.

My point exactly. No, there is no difference. The definition of 'kata' you cite is NOT what it means. As you noted in your own post - the notion that you (and many non Japanese speakers) have is something you have gleaned from an interest in Okinawan Karate, and does not reflect what the word meant and means in current usage.

Just because you and others who don't speak the language want to misappropriate a word does not make it so. Kata does not equate to Karate style solo movements, anywhere outside of Karate. And as you wold surely be aware, Karate is not the entirety of Japanese martial arts.

Latest Discussions