big TKD shoes

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have feet larger than the largest TKD-oriented shoes I've seen advertised, and am hoping someone can point me in a good direction.

I have 14.5 EE (US) feet, which is half a size and some extra width larger than the largest I've seen.

But surely I'm not the only big-footed fella who could use a decent pair of shoes!

At the dojang, everything is barefoot on puzzle mats, but some of the places I'd really like to practice just aren't flesh-friendly.

They don't have to be TKD-specific, although that would be nice.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I am constantly looking out for those 14 wides for Hubby...plus he is pickey...not TKD shoes tho.

However, considering the nature of the shoe, I have my doubts the regular TKD shoe would hold up to flesh unfriendly footing.

Unless you are considering sparring I'd go with a regular gym shoe. I have seen some that looked nice (but picky Hubby wanted no part of them) in regular clothing stores.

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is ultimately where this is heading. My lung shou pai bud (who wears kung fu shoes, because I guess his school is too cheap for puzzle mats ;D ) and I have some friendly throwing down ahead.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would look into wrestling shoe, for some they are better and they come that big.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry beat me to it. I'd also recommend wrestling shoes. They would be your best bet for bigger sizes.

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The wrestling shoes I've looked at since the suggestions were made (thanks) appear to have a good bit of ankle support. Any thoughts on whether that might hinder roundhouse-like kicks?

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, even though you can buy Mooto shoes at the dojang, even the instructors don't wear them inside.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The wrestling shoes I've looked at since the suggestions were made (thanks) appear to have a good bit of ankle support. Any thoughts on whether that might hinder roundhouse-like kicks?

I've not had trouble with that. It was my worry, too.

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another fellow I know from a tea-lover's forum (yeah, what of it) suggested these as an option:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_KSO_m.cfm

I'll have to see if I can find a place locally to try on some wrestling shoes & see how I like the feel.

On a strange related note, I was just outside working out barefoot and managed to get relatively minor second degree burns on the balls of my feet, because I'm a genius. My lung shou pai pal and his wife are en route with gauze at this time.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, even though you can buy Mooto shoes at the dojang, even the instructors don't wear them inside.

Actually my instructor wears shoes. I asked him about it and he said instructors are allowed to because they spend a great deal of time on the mat and are therefore more at risk for infections. I wanted to wear them just because arthritis made it so one of my feet feels like I'm walking on marbles when I'm on a solid floor and I felt like I could kick better if I had some support. Fortunately, the mats they have give a good bit when you're on them.

Latest Discussions