best shoes for pivoting?

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a good pair of shoes for pivoting/shifting that are larger than size 13 mens? I've looked in the stores in town here (Victoria, BC) as well as online sites but they only go up to size 12 or 13. I assume the best types of shoes for this would be those which have pivot points on the sole, near the heel? Any names of these shoes would also help.

Thanks!

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty I would learn to do this in the shoes that you normally wear day in day out.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll take a look at those shoes. As for just using the shoes I wear everyday, I'm not allowed to be wearing outside shoes in the dojo/kwoon. The shoes I wear during class are my indoor basketball shoes which unfortunately have way too much grip and really jack my ankels and knees when trying to shift in those sticky shoes.

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a good pair of shoes for pivoting/shifting that are larger than size 13 mens?

We have similar problems, I wear a very wide 13, and it's hard to find the width.

I've had luck with zappos.com and New Balance walking shoes. They're similar in size and weight to my everyday shoes, don't mark the floor, and breathe well enough. The guys who wear running shoes in class seem to tear them up pretty quickly, for what that's worth.

Don't get too hung up on the tread design; as long as it's not _too_ aggressive, like a hiking boot or something, you should be ok.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Skate shoes for me...flat bottoms, hard compound,they are made specifically for wear and tear....brand,
Etnies,emerica.I had one pair for nearly two years.two cents....

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since I train mostly on smooth concrete floors I find that indoor soccer shoes are the best (Adidas Sambas). Had mixed results on hardwood floors but mostly positive, same thing with carpet.

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since I train mostly on smooth concrete floors I find that indoor soccer shoes are the best (Adidas Sambas). Had mixed results on hardwood floors but mostly positive, same thing with carpet.

Indoor soccer shoes are a popular choice at my school as well, but I've never been able to find them wide enough to fit my feet.
I've known some pretty proficient martial artists who preferred wrestling shoes. Predictably, I couldn't get them in my width (so I know not of what I speak), but it always struck me that they'd be too sticky.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shoes for squash or indoor tennis might work.

Latest Discussions