Why Do We Train in Bare Feet?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a while back in this thread,, I had a bit of a set-to with a young man who felt I disrespected him. That wasn’t my intention, though I have to admit that I was probably using him as the designated chew toy that day.I’d like to apologize for hurting his feelings, though not at all for what I said-though I will explain it, and perhaps offer a more measured, temperate answer.

First off, though, one has to ask: why do we train in bare feet? Most of us, most of the time, wear shoes. We should train in shoes. My students and I do-and more on that later-but we also train in bare feet.

Why do we train in bare feet?

Well, we train in bare feet because that's the way it's always been done...:lfao:
(I hate that answer.)

Seriously, we train in bare feet because in Okinawa and Japan, it's customary to remove footwear when going inside. Period. End of story, mostly.....though I've always presented the idea that when you remove those shoes in the dojo vestibule, you're leaving your day's attitude, and your outside attitude behind with them, and starting fresh for the day's training. In fact, I used to have a sign in that vestibule in my dojo, right over the shoe racks. You can find that sign here. :lfao: May have to put it back up.......

Training in bare feet also gives us an opportunity to develop muscles in the feet that otherwise are not used, and a level of sensitivity to the ground/floor that's harder to develop with footwear. As an instructor, it affords me the opportunity to observe that a student’s feet are correctly oriented for kicks: ball of foot for mae geri, ball of foot or instep for mawashi geri, edge of foot or heel for yoko geri, or correctly positioned on the ground-rear heel flat in front stance, toes pointed just so, etc.

So, yeah, while I'll get back to the whole "shoes method of training" in a minute, we go bare foot because.......well, that's the way we've always done it.

In any case, most Japanese and Okinawan martial arts are practiced on wood floors, and calluses will develop over time. This is, for most of us, simply the best course of action for training: wait for the calluses, and doctor the feet in the meantime, with moleskin and tape for blisters. For the few students who have conditions that preclude their training in barefeet: diabetics, and others with possible peripheral circulatory problems, or those prone to infections for other reasons, there are a few options. In the few instances I've encountered, I've had students wear really cheap sneakers from WalMart, or these, which come in "real men's sizes," and have the advantage of being cheap, and looking sort of like the shoes Bruce Lee wore in "Enter the Dragon," so,silly as it may seem, they're aesthetically acceptable-to me/

In fact, I wear them a lot-to the gym, to drive, for shorter walks, because they're close to barefoot, and they're cheap and comfortable, and what others have posted elsewhere is true: shoes aren't really the best thing for our feet.

Granted, we have to wear them, in a variety of situations: those of us who work in an industrial setting have to wear one kind of shoe, and those of us who work in law enforcement have to wear another, cross country skiing and snowshoeing require others, hiking, boating, golfing, running, etc., etc., etc. In the meantime, we're messing our feet up, and need to get as close to bare footed as often as possible. When I run, most of the time I use the Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove, because it ....well, because-unlike Nike- it comes in real men's sizes. :lfao:

But, you may ask, shouldn’t we train in shoes if we wear shoes? And my answer would be “yes.” In fact, given the way some infections like staph can get spread, training with shoes all the time might be considered more sanitary than bare feet. After my students have trained for a while, though, I kit them up with a “street clothes” workout set, and, if they’re cops or security people, a “training uniform,” complete with duty belt. Both kits come with shoes. While it’s not a stretch for most to figure out how to position their feet when kicking in shoes, there are adjustments that should be made depending upon the shoe, whether it’s a sneaker, steel-toed work boot, hiking shoe, or dress shoe; women students even learn to kick in (moderate) high heels.

Speaking of women students, my senior most "non-family" student, Barb (Barb is "family," now, but she's Greek-no relative :lfao: ), has two seven inch rods in her spine-she had severe curvature, scoliosis, in her youth, and the rods correct it. She has what I can only judge to be tremendous back pain, and learning to roll and fall was an effort for her-in fact, at some point, I’d have let her take a pass on them if she’d only asked. She never did-nor did she complain. I have made accommodations for her along the way, but she’s never shirked at just about anything.

Of course, at 53 now, she isn’t really my “senior” most student-that honor actually belonged to a man who only trained with me for 3 years, Mr. Charles Sillivent. He was 86 when he started, and, as important as learning to fall is, it became clear pretty early on that too much of it wasn’t going to be good for him-accommodations were made for him,.

I had another woman student who’d been nastily brutalized by her ex-husband. She was an emotional wreck, and it took a lot to get her to even keep her eyes open when someone was acting as though they were going to strike her. It took a fair amount of patience on both of our parts, and will and desire on hers, to get her to train properly and actually enjoy it.

Me, I’ve mentioned elsewhere how sickly I was as a child: I wasn’t supposed to live to be 11, the age at which I began formal martial arts training. Looking back at those early years, when there were no children’s classes for the thin, frail, asthmatic, anemic child that I was, I can’t help but think that accommodations were made, but I couldn’t say what they were-only that by the time I was 14, there really weren’t any, and I was giving most of the men at my rank a real run for their money. Later, in college, I worked with an Isshin ryu guy named Tony Schifano, who ran something called the Wheelchair Karate League (this was in the late 70’s and early 80’s, and if anyone knows what happened to Tony, I’d like to know!) Anyway, I wanted to learn to teach people with special needs, which he knew more than a little about, and I also got to ref for these maniacs in wheelchairs and on crutches, amputees and paraplegics, going at it to about kill each other.

And , while I’ve never had a truly blind student, I have had a legally blind one-guy had to hold a page right against his face to read it. And I once lost a judo match to a blind guy from Florida…..:lfao:

Diabetes? Scoliosis with steel rods in the back? Wheelchairs, crutches, blindness? Old age? Emotional trauma? I've seen them all over the last 40 years. They can be serious impediments to training, and, if the desire’s really there, accommodations should be made.

Blisters? I'e seen lots more of those, and, accomodations?Not so much…..

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a Chinese stylist so I wear shoes. It is much easier to explain why we wear shoes than why other systems don't wear shoes :)

Willard814

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the post elder999! I totally understand the concept now and my hard work is paying off bare footed of course! :bangahead:

DSC03333-1.jpg

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the post elder999! I totally understand the concept now and my hard work is paying off bare footed of course! :bangahead:

DSC03333-1.jpg

That Belt... How has the Color not faded more. With that kind of Age. Just. Wow.
I mean, ive seen old Belts. But thats seriously torn up!

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
That Belt... How has the Color not faded more. With that kind of Age. Just. Wow.
I mean, ive seen old Belts. But thats seriously torn up!

That's Tereyuki Okazaki. Okazaki sensei's only been training since he was 16 years old.......back in like 1945. He's probably got several belts-and few that are too tattered to wear at all....:lol:

EDIT: Oh, and Willard? Given who you're standing next to, it's really good that you skipped the Vibram Five Fingers....

Last edited:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow congrats on the medals. and that's such a pretty bright yellow belt, I loved to wear mine when i ws still a yellow belt. :)

On the sensei's belt, my sensei's one is like that. So worn it looks like he's a white belt.

and maybe we train on bare feet cause we might slip and fall in socks doing some of those leaps, turns and spinnie things we do in kata?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The opinion of a newbie:

Why don't we wear gloves all the time? Unless you're Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Elijah Price, most of us wear gloves when we must; our preference is to use our bare hands for most functions. Why don't we go barefoot more often, then? Because most of us who do not train in the martial arts do not require the same level of dexterity, control, sensitivity, and feedback from our feet as we do from our hands. But martial artists do. So, therefore, we train our feet as a person training to paint portraits would train their hands and fingers. I cannot imagine being instructed in the use of the 'toe-rip kick' practiced by Tatsuo Shimabuku Soke in shoes. Once learned bare-footed, perhaps.

As well, it is far easier for me to develop the level of control I need to hit my uke with force, but without damaging them, while barefooted; due primarily to the physics of having more weight added to the end of an object in motion through lever-action. I've tried to snap-kick a mae-geri with a shod foot and while I grasp the concept that over time I would build up the muscles in my knees needed to snap back that added several pounds of weight on the end of my foot, it's not really of any value to me to do so. In the dojo, I want to practice control. In self-defense, hell, I'm going to give them everything I've got; I hope my foot stops traveling somewhere around their xiphoid process; it will snap back when it can go no further forward, not when I will it so.

Practice with shod feet? Yes. But it makes it far more difficult to practice kicking air or an uke; one almost must have a kicking dummy to avoid injury or developing muscles that are not needed in self-defense and risking damage to the knees along the way.

But I prefer being barefoot in the dojo and I'm glad we do it that way. I don't think it is just down to tradition.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I *love* training in bare feet. I find it to be cathartic in a way. I miss it!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to train in these , they afford all the comfort of a shoe , yet still retain that sense of Dojo tradition.

Barefoot_Shoes.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, this thread has gotten strange. :)

If you're looking for DOJO/Mat shoes only, and just want some light protection, I recommend taking a look at sambo shoes. They are typically a soft leather or suede upper, similar in design to a wrestling shoe. What makes them different is that the sole is also soft, usually suede... along the lines of a soft moccasin.

While they aren't incredibly durable, making them so would also make them less suitable for training, they are also not all that expensive.

I googled sambo shoes and came up with several in the $25 range.

http://www.ambersports.com/samboshoes.htm

T
hey're particularly good for grappling, because they protect toes from getting broken, they don't offer a hard sole that will invite heel hooks and toe holds, like a wrestling shoe will.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If you're looking for DOJO/Mat shoes only, and just want some light protection, I recommend taking a look at sambo shoes. They are typically a soft leather or suede upper, similar in design to a wrestling shoe. What makes them different is that the sole is also soft, usually suede... along the lines of a soft moccasin.

While they aren't incredibly durable, making them so would also make them less suitable for training, they are also not all that expensive.

I googled sambo shoes and came up with several in the $25 range.

http://www.ambersports.com/samboshoes.htm

T
hey're particularly good for grappling, because they protect toes from getting broken, they don't offer a hard sole that will invite heel hooks and toe holds, like a wrestling shoe will.

It's not a matter of protection or suppleness; it's weight. You *cannot* do a toe-rip kick in shoes of any description, that I can imagine. But then, I'm practicing a martial art, not rolling around on the ground like a pillbug. So it may be different for you.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, we train in bare feet because in Okinawa and Japan, it's customary to remove footwear when going inside.

Training in bare feet also gives us an opportunity to develop muscles in the feet that otherwise are not used, and a level of sensitivity to the ground/floor that's harder to develop with footwear. As an instructor, it affords me the opportunity to observe that a student’s feet are correctly oriented for kicks: ball of foot for mae geri, ball of foot or instep for mawashi geri, edge of foot or heel for yoko geri, or correctly positioned on the ground-rear heel flat in front stance, toes pointed just so, etc.

In accordance with the above, it is sad that part of martial arts, just not karate is lost, or held as a training secret. From sword to open hand I don't know the exact point in time the barefoot trend became the standard. May it happened with the advent of the dojo. Of what I understand for example martial training of the samurai was outside and not done barefooted. It is my theory, that upon the creation the institute of where the structured teaching of martial arts, instituted the dojo and thus the barefoot training. Based on the cultural practice transferred to the dojo of removing your zori or geta (not shoes, straw sandals or wooden block levitated sandal) upon entering a residence was for the purpose of cleanliness (mud mainly, but includes dry soil) that started in the the Heian period among the upper classes that spread to all other classes thus, becoming a strong identifiable cultural tradition.

As a result, being barefoot had little bearing or impedance on maintaining balance which is paramount to any Japanese martial art, when in conflict with zori. Probably, being bare foot in training was an impedance in terms of wearing geta, be demanding on the balance that enhanced technical skill. Some historians point to geta being a valued training apparatus used by samurai to enhance their skill. In my dojo we would train in geta at times. It was a pain. But, it did exercise your awareness of your balance. Therefore, the benefits of training in zori or geta where out weighted by cultural practice(s).

Walking in sandals or even geta if your brave and don't mind the noise or the stares (at least in the US) really develops the feet as an instrument of balance and position/stance/base strength. To lose your balance in old Japan during a conflict was an error rewarded by an instant steel forged death. Balanced was crucial. The action your feet take to maintain the zori or geta to keep them from losing them when you step is the same desired action to maintain your balance, hold you steady and firm in kata.

My thought is actually, barefoot training is subordinate to training in zori or geta, and outside (uneven non uniform surface like the ground develops balance) was favorable, but lost to the strong cultural practice of removing zori or geta upon entering a residence for the purpose of not soiling the tatami, whose composition of materials and design were difficult to clean especially ground in mud and soil, especially during the Heian period. Hardwood floors where easier to clean of course, but not all dojos or residences where exclusively hardwood floors.

It boils down to many things done Japanese, it is out of a practical tradition for which each such tradition has its reason.

* please note shoes are not Japanese footwear became an acceptable footwear of the Japanese about 70 years ago. Training in shoes say in karate is difficult and does apply or considered in my comment.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

If you're looking for DOJO/Mat shoes only, and just want some light protection, I recommend taking a look at sambo shoes. They are typically a soft leather or suede upper, similar in design to a wrestling shoe. What makes them different is that the sole is also soft, usually suede... along the lines of a soft moccasin..

Like sambo shoes, but until recemtly, they didn't come in real men's sizes (and are more expensive in size 15 at that).....which is odd, considering the size of some Russian fellas......:lfao:

@ Bill Mattocks: at brown belt, your no longer a "newbie," or, at least, your not much of one-that brown belt kind of means you'll probably stick around.....and "toe rip" kicks are pretty fairly confined to Isshin ryu, and maybe a few other Okinawan styles like uchinadi-I don't know for sure.It is part of your tradition, though, so, again, that's what it comes down to.

In any case, it's a safe bet that when it comes time to put down that protester for blocking your bank entrance, you'll be wearing shoes....:lfao: (Also, if you're been around a while, and the shoe is like a sneaker-no more-kicking an uke isn't too much worse than barefoot, unless it's in the face-that's icky.)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It boils down to many things done Japanese, it is out of a practical tradition for which each such tradition has its reason.

* please note shoes are not Japanese footwear became an acceptable footwear of the Japanese about 70 years ago. Training in shoes say in karate is difficult and does apply or considered in my comment.

http://karatejutsu.blogspot.com/2008/02/barefoot-okinawans-and-stone-structures.html

The other thing that I noticed was that just about all of the common people were barefoot -- not just the children, everyone. Of course, for formal photos where the visitor to Okinawa was wearing a suit, the Okinawans tended to be better dressed and wore shoes or slippers. But in the candid photos, the people on the roads and in the villages were all barefoot.

I mentioned this to my mother, who was born and raised in Fukuoka, on the Island of Kyushu. She said that as a child, she always wore shoes (she went to a Catholic school). But during the war, all the children went barefoot. This was to show support for the soldiers who were fighting in the war. The public had to make sacrifices.

But in Okinawa, it seemed that going shoeless was more a factor of poverty. We often hear that the ground in Okinawa is very rocky. I noticed this during my two visits. Despite the rocky terrain, the people wore no shoes. They must have developed very strong feet and toes!

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Bill your right, that is something I struggled with writing my comment. The southern islands for centuries where not considered Japanese people or Japan. Therefore, obviously not having the same culture, customs, practice, economy or wealth viewed foot wear differently. Just as say the far north territory of Hokkaido- also at a time not considered Japan, etc. But the commonality of the fact you didn't practice with dirty feet unless it was dirt dojo floor, the shintoism associated with the dojo, etc. that have become universal practices through out Japan filtered both north and south, by design or default was enough to make a generalization for the sake of brevity. Am glad you pointed that out providing greater detail, of the generalization I made. Great article also.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's not a matter of protection or suppleness; it's weight. You *cannot* do a toe-rip kick in shoes of any description, that I can imagine. But then, I'm practicing a martial art, not rolling around on the ground like a pillbug. So it may be different for you.
I sincerely hope this was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Like sambo shoes, but until recemtly, they didn't come in real men's sizes (and are more expensive in size 15 at that).....which is odd, considering the size of some Russian fellas......:lfao:
There's a guy locally who makes them. I have never bought from him, but I know guys who have and they're good quality. The guy I'm thinking of trains with Gracie Barra now, but he's a giant. I suspect that you can find them without too much problem. I think he paid about $40 per pair, but his toes were like fingers, and he kept breaking them, even when using tape.

Latest Discussions