"Best" Pistol to Own?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize my subject line presents a loaded question. I don't want to start a thread that will turn into a debate. All I want are some suggestions.

Maybe I am getting paranoid in my old age (hehe...I am 37), but I've started thinking about getting a handgun for home defense. (Part of this is also because I have kids. I don't need them to get hurt in some robbery gone bad just because I was "anti-gun," especially since I'm not anymore!)

The reasons why I lean toward a handgun instead of a shotgun or rifle are fairly simple: easier to handle/less cumbersome, plus it can leave one hand free to do other things. I know shotguns/rifles might have the better stopping power, but I'm okay with a handgun as long as it has ENOUGH stopping power.

So now we get to my question: what kind of handgun has good stopping power?

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I realize my subject line presents a loaded question. I don't want to start a thread that will turn into a debate. All I want are some suggestions.

Maybe I am getting paranoid in my old age (hehe...I am 37), but I've started thinking about getting a handgun for home defense. (Part of this is also because I have kids. I don't need them to get hurt in some robbery gone bad just because I was "anti-gun," especially since I'm not anymore!)

The reasons why I lean toward a handgun instead of a shotgun or rifle are fairly simple: easier to handle/less cumbersome, plus it can leave one hand free to do other things. I know shotguns/rifles might have the better stopping power, but I'm okay with a handgun as long as it has ENOUGH stopping power.

Even a .22 has great stopping power with good shot placement. As does a .45 with good shot placement.

Start by getting proper training. This is a question with a lot of possible answers, and in a way is very much like martial arts. What works best for you, depends on you. Get some training. Go to a range that rents various firearms and shoot several. Good training is only going to be a boon to whatever firearm you decide on down the road. Even the best weapon, can be a downfall without the proper training to use it to it's fullest. Training will aid you in determining what works for you. Revolver or semi-auto. What is the largest caliber you're accurate with, etc.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree -- training first.

Firearms are a very useful tool for a variety of situations, but I'd strongly recommend starting by learning how to shoot, learning the safety rules, and determining where you are going to practice. You can rent some from certain ranges as Kurai said, also make friends with folks who shoot and ask to join them (offer to pick up the fee for range time).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As said -- there is no "best." Start by getting some serious training in defensive firearm use. Then you'll start to have some ideas. As a loose rule -- bigger caliber, more likely to stop a threat with fewer rounds. Of course, that also means more likely to go through walls... and harder to control for a second shot.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Im glad to hear that you're not anti gun anymore, but why were you anti gun in the first place and what caused you to change your mind? It would be interesting to hear.

Anyway, for somebody with no training or marginal training with firearms, the most recommended weapon for home defense is the shotgun. With the shotgun you don't need to be super accurate. The shotgun throws clouds of lead in the perpetrator's direction and has tremendous stopping power. You don't have to be dead on with your aim the way you often do with a handgun or rifle. You just need to have the shotgun pointed in the bad guy's general direction. For one of the best shotguns I would recommend the Remington 870.

Now, you did say you wanted a handgun. A handgun takes more skill and training to effectively handle than a shotgun does but if you do want to get a handgun than I would recommend a .45 or a .357 magnum. A good handgun in .45 caliber is the Glock 21. If you can afford it, Kimber also makes really great top of the line .45 handguns. For a .357 magnum, there are some really good revolvers that are made in that caliber. The Ruger GP100 and the Smith & Wesson 686 both come to mind. Both are superb guns. I would also like to mention the Colt Python as an excellent .357 caliber revolver but they don't make it anymore so if you are going to get one, it would be used.

So, I hope this helps and good luck.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, for somebody with no training or marginal training with firearms, the most recommended weapon for home defense is the shotgun. With the shotgun you don't need to be super accurate. The shotgun throws clouds of lead in the perpetrator's direction and has tremendous stopping power. You don't have to be dead on with your aim the way you often do with a handgun or rifle. You just need to have the shotgun pointed in the bad guy's general direction. For one of the best shotguns I would recommend the Remington 870.

I agree. Another good benefit of a shotgun is that with the right shot (smaller pellets) you're less likely to penetrate walls and hurt an unintended target in the next room, or the next house.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im glad to hear that you're not anti gun anymore, but why were you anti gun in the first place and what caused you to change your mind? It would be interesting to hear.

Now, you did say you wanted a handgun. A handgun takes more skill and training to effectively handle than a shotgun does but if you do want to get a handgun than I would recommend a .45 or a .357 magnum. A good handgun in .45 caliber is the Glock 21. If you can afford it, Kimber also makes really great top of the line .45 handguns. For a .357 magnum, there are some really good revolvers that are made in that caliber. The Ruger GP100 and the Smith & Wesson 686 both come to mind. Both are superb guns. I would also like to mention the Colt Python as an excellent .357 caliber revolver but they don't make it anymore so if you are going to get one, it would be used.

So, I hope this helps and good luck.

Why anti-gun? Because when I was growing up, I thought I was a "neo-hippy" who was really into studying the counterculture of the 60s. I connected with their message so much that I thought, "I was born at the wrong time!" Blame it on being young, and idealistic...or naive, although sometimes I think those adjectives are interchangeable. In any event...yeah, make love not war. But after growing up and seeing more of the sick things people can and will do in this world, I realized one thing: if you don't believe in violence, then you don't believe in living. I may be against the IDEA of guns still (by that I mean, like Rodney King I wish we could "all just get along"), but I have to accept that they sure as hell don't bother others...and if some scumbag breaks into my house with a gun while I have nothing, the outcome isn't going to be very pleasant for me OR my family.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why anti-gun? Because when I was growing up, I thought I was a "neo-hippy" who was really into studying the counterculture of the 60s. I connected with their message so much that I thought, "I was born at the wrong time!" Blame it on being young, and idealistic...or naive, although sometimes I think those adjectives are interchangeable. In any event...yeah, make love not war. But after growing up and seeing more of the sick things people can and will do in this world, I realized one thing: if you don't believe in violence, then you don't believe in living. I may be against the IDEA of guns still (by that I mean, like Rodney King I wish we could "all just get along"), but I have to accept that they sure as hell don't bother others...and if some scumbag breaks into my house with a gun while I have nothing, the outcome isn't going to be very pleasant for me OR my family.

I see where you're coming from. I don't hold anything against hippies, its bullies that I don't like and hippies usually are not bullies. As for me, Im a peacemaker not a troublemaker. That being said, although this might sound ironic and paradoxical, guns often are used to bring about and maintain peace. If you do research you will notice that places that have the tightest gun control have the most crime and places that don't make it hard for law abiding citizens to own guns have the least amount of crime. Why? Because troublemakers will think twice if their intended victims might just happen to have guns, and if a troublemaker is stupid enough to pick a fight with a law abiding person who has a gun, they will be stopped. With guns in the hands of law abiding responsible citizens nobody will cause any trouble and so there will be peace. That is why the six shooter that the cowboys carried in the old west was called the "Colt Peacemaker." So anyway, you might want to check out the makes and models I mentioned in my earlier message, and I would also recommend taking some firearm classes.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer the question in the Thread subject line... Purchase a Glock 27 for compactness and a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 Mag for awesomeness. That's all you need.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Several posters have already mentioned training...now to the discussion...

With the shotgun you don't need to be super accurate. The shotgun throws clouds of lead in the perpetrator's direction and has tremendous stopping power.

You might want to recheck that...I don't believe that is an accurate description of the shotgun at close quarters...

YOu have plenty of resources for pistols, rifles and shotguns...use them all. I too am looking at firearms for self-defense and concealed carry...

Learn the difference between the types of weapons and their advantages and drawbacks...especially with children in the house...

Native

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As mentioned, get training. Get to a point where you feel safe and comfortable shooting at paper targets. Then I would recommend taking a concealed carry tactical course to teach you how to draw, shoot at moving targets and clear a room.

Safety is paramount; you don't want to be a statistic. Since you have children, make sure you keep your firearm stored safely. It will take longer getting to it in an emergency, but you have to decide the balance between safety and readiness. Personally, I keep mine in a safe on a shelf in my bedroom closet. It takes me about 5 seconds to get out of bed, punch in the digital combo, and retrieve it. I keep the gun in condition 3 (loaded, no round chambered), which means I just need to rack the slide and I'm ready to go.

Regarding what type of firearm. Some good suggestions above.

Shotguns are a solid choice with some pros and cons.
-On the plus side, they are easy to operate and generally reliable. The sound of a pump action being racked can be enough to send a perp on their way. You can load various types of ammo as well. For example, your first round can be a scatter bird shot that causes moderate damage and not likely to miss (appropriate choke helps) and not likely to go through walls and cause unintended damage. If that doesn't convince the invader to leave, your follow up shot could be a slug. Lots of options.
-Cons to consider would be less maneuverability. Shotguns are long, even with a shorter 18" tactical barrel. Also, they require 2 hands, which limits what you can do.

Pistols are the other choice, and my preference. I like having a free hand and being able to maneuver through my house easily. In either case, a good bright tac light is a must for home defense. Aside from the obvious benefit of seeing in a dark house, it also blinds the perp and gives you valuable time to aim and shoot if needed. I run with a tac light and laser sight combo on my pistol.

As far as what pistol to choose, try some out. Some ranges rent out pistols to shoot. Get what is comfortable and easy for you to use. I would recommend looking at something at least 9mm. I would prefer .40,.45 or .357 for power. Also, I prefer a passive safety system, which basically requires you to have the firearm in a proper full grip before it will fire (you don't want to fumble for a safety switch in an emergency). For an example, look up a Springfield XD series (I use an XD 40 for home protection).

Well, that's my $.02. You will find that everyone has an opinion on this subject. Take your time, do some research and above all, be safe. Good luck!

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
As mentioned, get training. Get to a point where you feel safe and comfortable shooting at paper targets. Then I would recommend taking a concealed carry tactical course to teach you how to draw, shoot at moving targets and clear a room.

Safety is paramount; you don't want to be a statistic. Since you have children, make sure you keep your firearm stored safely. It will take longer getting to it in an emergency, but you have to decide the balance between safety and readiness. Personally, I keep mine in a safe on a shelf in my bedroom closet. It takes me about 5 seconds to get out of bed, punch in the digital combo, and retrieve it. I keep the gun in condition 3 (loaded, no round chambered), which means I just need to rack the slide and I'm ready to go.

Regarding what type of firearm. Some good suggestions above.

Shotguns are a solid choice with some pros and cons.
-On the plus side, they are easy to operate and generally reliable. The sound of a pump action being racked can be enough to send a perp on their way. You can load various types of ammo as well. For example, your first round can be a scatter bird shot that causes moderate damage and not likely to miss (appropriate choke helps) and not likely to go through walls and cause unintended damage. If that doesn't convince the invader to leave, your follow up shot could be a slug. Lots of options.
-Cons to consider would be less maneuverability. Shotguns are long, even with a shorter 18" tactical barrel. Also, they require 2 hands, which limits what you can do.

Pistols are the other choice, and my preference. I like having a free hand and being able to maneuver through my house easily. In either case, a good bright tac light is a must for home defense. Aside from the obvious benefit of seeing in a dark house, it also blinds the perp and gives you valuable time to aim and shoot if needed. I run with a tac light and laser sight combo on my pistol.

As far as what pistol to choose, try some out. Some ranges rent out pistols to shoot. Get what is comfortable and easy for you to use. I would recommend looking at something at least 9mm. I would prefer .40,.45 or .357 for power. Also, I prefer a passive safety system, which basically requires you to have the firearm in a proper full grip before it will fire (you don't want to fumble for a safety switch in an emergency). For an example, look up a Springfield XD series (I use an XD 40 for home protection).

Well, that's my $.02. You will find that everyone has an opinion on this subject. Take your time, do some research and above all, be safe. Good luck!

Yes as I said in my first post, I lean toward handguns due to the other hand being free. In fact that is why the subject of the post was "best PISTOL." :)

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This could happen with quite a few pistols, but a passive safety, as on the Springfield XD line, might help prevent this...something to consider as you look at pistols with a hammer, and those that are striker fired...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/21/police-chief-accidentally-shoots-self/4704673/

Counceller's 40-caliber Glock handgun accidentally discharged Saturday afternoon while he was at Wullf's Gun Shop. Counceller, who was off-duty at the time, said he'd been examining a handgun similar to the one he carries.
"I need to pay more attention," Counceller said. "I know what the dangers are. It was pure carelessness on my part."
The accident occurred when Counceller was putting his Glock into its holster after he removed it to compare it to a newer Glock model at the gun shop, Counceller said.
"It got tangled in my clothing," Counceller said of his weapon. "I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor."

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes as I said in my first post, I lean toward handguns due to the other hand being free. In fact that is why the subject of the post was "best PISTOL." :)

Cal. doesn't much matter in close quarters of a house anything 9mm over is fine. I personally like .40cal but like I said its not that big of a deal for what you want it for. The more important thing to look for is quality of firearm and ammo. Stick with firearms with good track records I Like SIG for personal use, I carry Smith and Wesson M&P at work and have carried Glock before as well. All good guns. Ammo is as important as the gun Don't buy cheap walmart target ammo for personal defense. Stick with high quality ammo there are plenty of great ammo manufactures on the market. Cheap stuff is fine for practice not for saving your life.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For semiautomatic handguns:

.380 ACP is the minimum you'd want to use. Even then, the recoil of a 9 mm Parabellum pistol compared to a .380 ACP pistol is actually similar, since most 9 mm's are locked breech mechanism weapons (this tends to soak up some of the felt recoil) vs most .380 ACP handguns being blowback mechanism weapons (more felt recoil). Thus, you'd be getting significantly more punch in the 9 mm, with the same felt recoil.

There are plenty of excellent 9 mm handguns out there that are exceptionally reliable, and accurate. Weapons made by Glock, Sig, Heckler and Koch, Ruger, Beretta, Smith and Wesson, FN, etc., are all good, and it simply comes down to a matter of which one fits your hands best, and that you can shoot well enough.

If you prefer revolvers:

Smith and Wesson, along with Ruger, make excellent revolvers. For defensive purposes, you should go with at least a .38 Special. .38 Special +P (10% greater pressure loads) will have a bit more efficacy, and its greater cousin, the .357 magnum, is a very well-respected manstopper.

How large are your hands? This can also be a factor in determining what fits your hand the best.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First definitely get some training!!! This is very, very important!

Next I have all kinds of different makes but....... if I want simple efficiency, reliability then I would always choose a Glock.
Now some people do not like Glock's because they do not fit their hands right. For me they are perfect! I would also add
that in over thirty years of owning a Glock and thousands upon thousands of rounds I have never had one malfunction.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on the Sig Saur P250? Does it shoot well with the double action only trigger? Thanks.

It shoots quite comfortably. Even though it's a DAO trigger, it's much lighter than what you would expect from "standard" DAO triggers. Instead of a 9-12 pound pull, you get something that's closer to 6 pounds, which is similar to the trigger pull of a Glock pistol. It's also a very smooth pull that gives a consistent break every time.

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's all been said but I will reiterate. Training is important. Once you discharge that firearm you have sole responsibility for all the damage that bullet does after it leaves the gun. Legally and otherwise.

For defense purposes it's usually a good idea to get defensive ammunition. Hollow points.

My personal recommendation? A Springfield 1911 loaded with hollow points. Bigger bullets don't travel as quickly so there is less penetration, and a .45 hollow point can remove limbs if the shot if placed properly.

My point: if a .45 ACP hollowpoint doesn't stop them, then you just might be SOL.

It isn't the only answer though. Like it was said before - any bullet has the capacity for serious harm... Even a properly propelled BB.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."

Latest Discussions