Best DVD for Simple Self Defense help PLEASE!!

Old Iowa Man

Reaction score
I'm over 60 , had 2 strokes, complete nerve damage in one arm SEVERE migraines every day for over 8 months and MANY more health problems LOTS of pain killers and am on Social Security Disability - NOT wanting sympathy but money is tight - Can someone PLEASE recommend a basic Self Defense video and hopefully from Amazon as that's where I order 99% of everything when I can afford it - Sorry if this question has been asked or seems dumb - With the many doctors I have I hope to get better some day and at least using it for a reference for exercise - Some of my health helpers have suggested Tai Chi for exercise BUT which DVD? There's a plenty out there and I don't know the good from the bad - I have a lot of skills with weapons gained in my younger days and was a full time professional knife maker and engraver for over 20 years - I did lots of designs and patents for more than a few companies and special designs for "Special" people I can't mention - I appreciate ANY help or comments! Thanks in advance.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tai Chi could be good exercise for you but what you'll get from a video will be of little self-defense value. It's hard to be specific without knowing better how mobile you are. Would you be planning on using a knife or cane or the like?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would be best to look for a local teacher who could show you how to practice and perform the techniques correctly!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Firstly, let me say I have absolutely no idea which Tai Chi video might be of use as I have very little experience of Tai Chi. But although I'm in reasonable physical shape when I have trained with Tai Chi people I have had enormous difficulty with the really low positions. It Looks from your post that we are a similar age so what would I do if I was wanting to do something to keep fit and perhaps be of some benefit towards some future self defence training? I would go to a second hand shop or look on Amazon for a heavy bag. Look on YouTube for people training and just work on that. You can do all the straight boxing strikes but you can start to play around with open hand and knife hand strikes too. As you're doing that you start to move your feet as well, preferably sliding as you move, like dancing, rather than stepping. Later, as you gain some confidence you can start using your knees and feet. Because the bag moves it gives you a bit of a feel for a moving target.

If you do go this way, make sure you are using some form of punching mitt. It is really easy to take skin of the knuckles. :)
Good luck!
:asian:

OP
Old Iowa Man

Old Iowa Man

Reaction score
I think it would be best to look for a local teacher who could show you how to practice and perform the techniques correctly!

Sorry, An EXCELLENT suggestion and I wish I could but I am not allowed to drive because of all the painkillers I'm on every day and it would also be illegal because of the specific drugs - I'm on the strongest stuff and the largest amounts - Thanks very much for you suggestion I REALLLY wish I could do - I will also mention I live in the middle on no where southern Iowa - both good and bad - My best regards!

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would agree heartily with the previous post on finding an actual real teacher to guide you.

That said, there are several resources, found by typing in Tai Chi for seniors, in the amazon search box.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...hi+for+seniors&rh=i:aps,k:tai+chi+for+seniors

An accomplished tai chi teacher by the name of Sam Masich has an instructional video in an exercise specifically
designed to have therapeutic affect on the heart:
http://www.amazon.com/Balancing-Hea...F8&qid=1383267423&sr=8-20&keywords=sam+masich
This is QiGong, standing or sitting in posture and attending to proper breathing and pressing acupressure points to achieve a positive healing effect.

Sam also has an instructional specifically for over 50 folks:
http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Plus-...F8&qid=1383267868&sr=8-22&keywords=sam+masich

Good luck with your efforts! This may not be the only forum you will need to visit. Other web places more specifically oriented to healing could be of great assistance.

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
Systema is for you....easier on the body and not driven by technique. I'll suggest some videos in a bit

Latest Discussions