Belts

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some beginners
Some pretenders
Some advanced
Some very advanced

I avoided colors and degrees since these vary from system to system. We know what we know. You can follow topics and threads and make your own judgement.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the system. First dan is technically the highest rank I've achieved in a system, but I'm not sure how my kali rank compares to that since it's beltless.

Overall I wouldn't focus too much on people's belts. You'll have everything from white belts to 7th dan (possibly higher) here, but most of us agree that doesn't mean much considering the inconsistency of styles and schools in rank progression.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Happy to share my rank (for what anyone cares) - Changmookwan 7th Dan, Kukkiwon 6th Dan. Although rank doesn't matter, it's more a milestone on a journey than a sign of skill or ability.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending which part of my training you're asking about, anything from rankless, to novice, to white belt, to shodan, to master instructor (not really a rank, but usually seen as such).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
7th Dan Moo Duk Kwan TKD
5th Dan Kukkiwon TKD
1st Dan Kali
Green sash Kung Fu

How about yourself?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depending which part of my training you're asking about, anything from rankless, to novice, to white belt, to shodan, to master instructor (not really a rank, but usually seen as such).

The young man is 15.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather larger than I would like...

Oh, rank? Eh... the date on my black belt cert is from before the OP was born. But it's not a big deal. There are folks higher than me, folks lower than me. Folks who know more, and less. After a point, it just doesn't really matter.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
7th Dan Moo Duk Kwan TKD
5th Dan Kukkiwon TKD
1st Dan Kali
Green sash Kung Fu

How about yourself?
From his profile
I started doing Tae Kwon Do in September of 2019 and I am now ready to test for my orange belt. I am also a white belt in Moo Lim Do

@EidenM what's Moo Lim Do? I haven't heard of that style before.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rather larger than I would like...

Oh, rank? Eh... the date on my black belt cert is from before the OP was born. .

For a while I told younger students I was BB before they were born. Then I started to realize I was a BB before their parents were born.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For a while I told younger students I was BB before they were born. Then I started to realize I was a BB before their parents were born.
When I fist started teaching, we had a mother start with her teenage daughter. On testing day, I was judging the mother. The test papers have their birthday on it. She was only a few years older than me.

My first thought was "that can't be right. She can't be my age. She has a teenager!"

Then I did the math, and yep, she would have been an adult ahen she had her daughter.

That's when I started to feel old.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What belt are you all?
No belt.

I consider myself a beginner but I'm pretty sure that's really inaccurate now lol. But there's still a lot that I don't know.

Latest Discussions