Belts that look old but are not

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:jedi1:
Hey every one Last weekend I was at a tournament in Ohio I meet this one guy who has been in karate for only 4 years his black belt looked like it was 30 years old. Now I am wondering do they make or sell belts that look old or fall apart if so WOW. That is almost as bad as the vilciro belts awma sells. Or as bad as the pre tied belts

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, you know I always knew it was only a matter of time before someone would market a faded or 'used' black belt.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I met a guy that I found out he Washed his Belt and put a little Bleach in with it to fade it and make it fall apart... That is sorry.

I have always replaced my belts over the years becaust I liked the fresh Stiff Black Belt over the worn faded one.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My belt is all torn and ripped, but I have had it for several years. I just cant really part with it for a smooth new bb, but to each his own.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
some will wash their belt to give the appearance of constant wear/training for ages. obvious deception. there are MA'ists out there with legitimate wear showing, but not many.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there would be some, certainly not someone with 4 yrs experience in teh martial arts. However, if you've had your bb for several years, it may start to look like its taking a beating.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do know that some belts just don't hold up very well, I know of people that got a blackbelt just a couple of years ago and they already look ancient. It is not because they are looking for these belts but these are given to them by there instructor. Once again it is not done on purpose but I guess there is a sense of loyalty to the company that they have gone with.

zujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe if your brought up honestly and shown the error of washing your obi (i.e. why you should'nt and what the obi stands for) then there would'nt be a problem of that kinda of thing. I also think that anybody that would buy or sell a worn looking obi has no idea what the arts mean.But I have washed my obi but only once.It was when I first started jujutsu and somehow when talking with my teacher I told him that I washed my gi and my obi....he looked me in the eyes and in a calm but stern manner said "you won't wash your obi again". And three years later I remember that clear as day....I'll never forget those eyes.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It also depends on how you take care of your belt. If you just throw you belt on a pile of clothes (or heaven forbid the floor!) after you get home from a work out and stuff it in your gym bag before you go train and after you washed it, then yes it will wear out quicker than usual.

Personally, I have been wearing the same belt for about 5 years. While it does look worn and is starting to look white around the knot area because of tieing the belt over the years, it doesn't look bad. It just looks like it has some use. And I don't wash the belt. Big no-no over here. :)

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Belt aging is a fine art. I've heard of people beating theirs on brick walls. Some guys even take a razor blade to make fine cuts in it, before they start raking it over the bricks. And then a little washing fades it out some, and makes the threads fray.
One real give away is when some one has a shiny black belt with a lot of white showing. Did the razor work, but didn't age it, or fray it.
smile.gif

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Also the quality of the belt could be a reason for falling apart and fading faster than it should. Not all belts are built equal.

In our school you get a new BB with every promotion. (a couple of years each). So you don't really get to see faded belts. Worn out but not really faded. Each belt BB grade is a little different. ....Aloha

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
:jedi1:
Hey every one Last weekend I was at a tournament in Ohio I meet this one guy who has been in karate for only 4 years his black belt looked like it was 30 years old. Now I am wondering do they make or sell belts that look old or fall apart if so WOW. That is almost as bad as the vilciro belts awma sells. Or as bad as the pre tied belts
We wear a satin sash. All you have to do is get REAL sweaty as I do and it turns to a crinkled mess. Light ironing after every class is a must.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have one that is now 14 years old, and in places it does look worn, but I won't trade it for anything. I have never washed it that was something that we were told from the very start NOT to do.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never actually seen someone with a deliberately faded belt, but I did see someone recently with a pre-faded uniform, equally sad in my opinion

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1st dan belt got a little worn, white edges after four years or so, but it was nice and broken in. Working on the my newer 2nd-got that six months ago. I'm a clean freak but I would never wash that thing. Its like a symbol of your sweat, literally and if its worn that's also a sign of the work you have done coming to class. Seems pretty cheap, and deceitful to get one already frayed and worn. Doesn't mean anything to the holder either. Who's he trying to fool and why is it so important? TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My buddy told me about how his karate instructor would take a razor blade to his belt...

My yellow belt in Judo is starting to wear and fade...

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
zujitsu said:
I believe if your brought up honestly and shown the error of washing your obi (i.e. why you should'nt and what the obi stands for) then there would'nt be a problem of that kinda of thing.

And what, pray tell, might that be? The myth that the Japanese and Okinawans, fastidiously clean people, would condone the wearing of a garment accessory that had never, ever been washed? That wearing a garment accessory that smelled of many a workout past as well as whatever other environmental concerns it may have had contact with? Or perhaps that if you wash your belt you'll "lose your skill?" You need to do some research and listen less to the stories told by teachers who have never experienced the mother-culture of their art...

But I have washed my obi but only once.

Depending on how long you've been training, it might be time to wash it again...

....he looked me in the eyes and in a calm but stern manner said "you won't wash your obi again".

Please, share your rationale for wearing dirty clothes. I'm curious...

Latest Discussions