Little Ninjas Tiny Tigers and alot more Names does your school offer them

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok in Aug My teacher wants me to teach a little ninjas program for are school since I am good at teaching kids. Now He is letting me do what I want with the program so Here what I have in mind

Late 3 year olds to Mid 5 years olds Class 1 time a week for 30 mins mostly games and drills for motor skills and maybe 2 moves a class. So they don't get overloaded

any ways does your school offer it and if so what u think of it plus how big are the classes?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't offer them anymore, but did for years. As far as the class size, we kept it within 4-5 kids. Attention span is an issue at that age. I think the games with motor skills being the basis is a good idea. From my experience, you seem to have a good plan of what you need to do.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My school offers "Tiger" classes (4-7 year olds). I help teach this class on saturdays, and we get somewhere between 6 to 10 kids a class. That's about the right size for the class, specially if you teach alone. You don't wanna overwhelm yourself with too many.

We usually do fun drills, and motor skills stuff almost every class with them. They love it. We also do some techniques, but not many. Like Gemini said, they have little attention spans, so you have to keep their attention as long as you can, then change to something else, or they get bored.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
These are NAPMA programs, right? It makes sense from a business point of view.

Not necessarily NAPMA, though they may have jumped on to the legal service mark.

We started a program like this years ago. We found that there was a vast difference between five and six year olds, and we made the break off for regular children's classes age six. Those under six we called "Mighty Mites."

We don't go under four, however. I've heard, but can't yet confirm, that a school across town offers training...for what its worth...to children aged two. I've heard this same school offers black belts to five year olds. Granted, this is all hearsay.

As there are four schools on that side of town, I don't feel I'm unduly indicting anyone here...and again, I can't confirm any of it.

In any case, two is too young. I'm not even sure I can speak to a two year old. What would one teach them?

Regards,

Steve

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Not necessarily NAPMA, though they may have jumped on to the legal service mark.

We started a program like this years ago. We found that there was a vast difference between five and six year olds, and we made the break off for regular children's classes age six. Those under six we called "Mighty Mites."

We don't go under four, however. I've heard, but can't yet confirm, that a school across town offers training...for what its worth...to children aged two. I've heard this same school offers black belts to five year olds. Granted, this is all hearsay.

As there are four schools on that side of town, I don't feel I'm unduly indicting anyone here...and again, I can't confirm any of it.

In any case, two is too young. I'm not even sure I can speak to a two year old. What would one teach them?

Regards,

Steve

Maybe how to use a diaper as a weapon, although that seemed to come naturally to my two kids.......

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Ok in Aug My teacher wants me to teach a little ninjas program for are school since I am good at teaching kids. Now He is letting me do what I want with the program so Here what I have in mind

Late 3 year olds to Mid 5 years olds Class 1 time a week for 30 mins mostly games and drills for motor skills and maybe 2 moves a class. So they don't get overloaded
You are in for a trying time. I teach a class with 7 6 - 8 year olds. 30 minutes is tough to get through. However, I'm finally starting to get through to them and understand how I need to teach each one. Some I have to keep seperated to keep the class moving.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd invest in a couple rolls of duct tape....:shrug: :lol:

I don't envy you,brother.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We offer a Lil' Dragon's Program. 4-7 depending on Attention. We ask the Parents to set in on class. (This sometimes get the parent interested and you gain an adult student.) Our Curriculum for them is based on Kenpo.

Like We take apart a technique.

We use, :"Sword & Return" It is the Step Back into Neutral Bow with an Inside Block Followed by a Sword Hand Stirke to the Chest. (We try not to have them hit the Carotid Artery right away :) ) Don't want anyone to get hurt.

Then they learn "Kick and Return" Stepping back into Neutral Bow once again and Inside Block followed by a Front Snap Kick.

Once thay have that down we blend the move and have them do "Delayed Sword". We have broken down several techniques this way . Also we do basic drills, and games to keep their attention.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have one as well, 30 minutes once a week. We teach them the 5 principles: effort, ettiquette, sincerity, self-control, and character; the basic punches; the basic blocks; rolling and falling; and we play lots of games. We have 4-8 kids per session and 2 teachers. It is a BLAST!! :D

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
well the main the thing i have to do is keep them from getting board cause i talk to a pre school teacher she said if one goes nut the all is hell so that is my new plan but i am get flyers made soon going to start it in aug

S

Satori

It always drives me crazy when I hear people say "I've been training since I was 3."

The fact is that with kids below the age of 6, you aren't training, but entertaining them. Little Ninjas, Tiny Tigers, Puny Patriots, etc... means that you are basically baby sitting for a set period of time. Martial Arts Daycare for everyone!

Is this a bad thing? Not really...the more a child is exposed to martial arts, the better adapted they will be when real training begins. If a child is comfortable with a large group of funny dressed kids with a loud adult shouting commands, then their ability to learn will increase dramatically.

It sounds like you have a solid plan...just always keep in mind that the focus is to make the kids comfortable with the "idea" of martial arts, and not to create martial artists out of 4 year olds. So keep it fun, relaxed, and remove your expectations, and everything should be fine.

It will also be very rewarding when, in 14 years, you award that child a black belt.

May you achieve
Satori

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually anything below 11 years old is strictly in the entertanment field. Play with them, charge a lot-if you're going to sell out-sellout

R

rupton

The Kai said:
Actually anything below 11 years old is strictly in the entertanment field. Play with them, charge a lot-if you're going to sell out-sellout
So where does 11 come from? Why use that as your baseline? I'm not singling out your post Kai, I'm equally interested in the same reason for the other ages mentioned in other posts. What's the criteria? Physical size? Maturity? Dedication? I can't think of a single age offering a one size fits all solution to any of those. Please unconfuse my confusion :)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
11 of course is a rough guide, by that time a child should have enough schooling to recognize a scrutered enviroment and enough of a self identity to recognize what he wants

anything between the ages of 2 to 8 is a money game, which is fine charge well, and charge often

Latest Discussions