Belt Rankings - Keeping up with the times!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

I have a friend that suffers from SA, and it leaves him tired. I don't think it's as bad as you described though Doc, he's always sleeping! We go hunting and I can hear him snore then stop and then shocked back to breathing again and it can be a little disturbing.

:asian:

You obviously know nothing about SA. The whole point is he's NOT sleeping. No it's now that bad. it just kills you eventually as it did Ed Parker.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
REM Sleep - deep sleep, Rapid Eye Movement

when the person stops breathing, generally they sort of wake themselves up, which is why they start breathing again, but also why they get a rotten night's sleep.

most people who have it don't die from it.

The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." There are three types of apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed; of the three, obstructive is the most common. Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.

From the American Sleep Apnea Association:

The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." There are three types of apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed; of the three, obstructive is the most common. Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep. In central sleep apnea, the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. Mixed apnea, as the name implies, is a combination of the two. With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.

Sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Risk factors include being male, overweight, and over the age of forty, but sleep apnea can strike anyone at any age, even children. Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences.

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues.

~~~~~

If Mr. Parker died of sleep apnea, why do all the websites I've found say he died of a heart attack?

...not challenging, just curious, because heart attack is what I'd heard from my teacher as well.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
My grandfather that raised me had this condition. I can remember staying up at night concentrating on his every breath. I would prey each time that he would start to breath again. It was something that we all learned to live with. He has since lowered his weight and is diabetes is under control (Hasn't done the shots thing for years). He sleeps much better and is a nicer person for it. I think it also gave us back a few years, but his heart did suffer. He's had a couple of strokes.

jb

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

REM Sleep - deep sleep, Rapid Eye Movement

when the person stops breathing, generally they sort of wake themselves up, which is why they start breathing again, but also why they get a rotten night's sleep.

most people who have it don't die from it.

From the American Sleep Apnea Association:

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep. In central sleep apnea, the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. Mixed apnea, as the name implies, is a combination of the two. With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.

Sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Risk factors include being male, overweight, and over the age of forty, but sleep apnea can strike anyone at any age, even children. Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences.

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues.

~~~~~

If Mr. Parker died of sleep apnea, why do all the websites I've found say he died of a heart attack?

...not challenging, just curious, because heart attack is what I'd heard from my teacher as well.

It's like cancer. You technically don't die of cancer but it causes and organ to fail. OSA causes high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks. The older you are the worse it gets. Everybody is not the same. Some are more severe than others. I know some who have been cured by surgery, others who have not. I know someone who has had it since he was a teenager. He wasn't diagnosed until he was 42. He had the surgery with no effect. Chances are everyone knows someone who has it in varying degrees.

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by nightingale8472

...for those of you out there who aren't teachers, there are three ways of learning...by hearing, by seeing, and by doing, and although everyone can learn in any of the three ways, there is almost always one way they are really good at. [/B]

Sucks to be me. I learn best by _reading_ and you can't get Kenpo from a book.

Peace,
Scott

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you probably did very well in school, though, Scott. Most teachers teach only visually, especially math teachers. Everything is shown on the chalkboard. I always did very well in history and literature, since a lot of that is oral/auditory, but I was always failing math...took me til college to figure out that it really wasn't me, and that I'm perfectly capable of learning math (and I did put forth decent effort in high school, so it wasn't slacking either), it was that it was taught in a way that I was having trouble absorbing the content.

I learn by hearing, so it takes me a lot longer to learn kenpo too. sometimes I have to stop my instructor and say "tell me what I'm doing wrong, don't just move me to where I need to be, because I'll still do it wrong the next time unless I hear it."

If you learn best by reading, take everything you learned, go home and write it down. Then you can read over it before your next class and it might help you remember.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You make our lives difficult "Night" lol.......... now I have to go back and brush up on all my auditory skills as well as my visual... since I work mostly with the kinesthetic skills like myself....... geez
You techo paleontologists.... are so darn edumakated that us locals have a hard time relating sometimes.:rofl:

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man Mr. C. if your a local then what .......(dramatic pause)...........................am i.
I guess I'll go hide in the cornfields here.
Jason Farnsworth

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott Bonner

Peace,
Scott

Hey Scott,

I got an idea to help you out. (* It helps me sometimes *)
Pretend your blind. Now you have to read with your hands/body
and your ears. I know it seems funny, but many times if I take
out the extra sensory inputs such as vision and concentrate
on how the other person or myself is moving, then I seem
to grasp it better. Also, I have seen where one of my students
can be shown a technique a illion times and told half that many
times and not get it until the right combanation is made. Both
words and movement.

Just my thoughts to help

Rich

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Thanks Nightengale and Rich Parsons.

Yeah, I did very well in college -- not that it's helped my income any! But, hey, at least I've done good stuff.

I've been relying too much on the work of others -- instead of writing it down, I print writeups off the internet and change it to be easier to read. Shame on me. I should've avoided the shortcut.

I'll try the eyes-closed thing. I've done that with forms before, and found it to be very helpful with stances, but never thought to apply it to techs and other stuff. I won't be trying that in hands-on tech work, though, for fear of sacrificing control (and my partner's nose). :)

Peace,
Scott

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning only happens in three modes, Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic. We all function, mainly, in one of the modes, but also in the others to some extent.

Learning is very easy and simple, once you have a) Figured out your modality, and/or b) figured out how to model yourself into one or all of the other modes.

You folks might do well to look into Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Some really amazing simplifications and results to be had there in overcoming learning problems.

BTW ... Per the original discussion. It comes to mind that the Black Belt is exactly that. I don't think I understand the need to divide it into almost, not quite, getting closer, Black Belts. You either are a Black Belt, or not. All those different divisions of the Belt would tend, in my opinion, to make it just a little more worthless. Perhaps we could do away with Belt ranks altogether.

Take care,

Dan

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the belt rankings... if someone has a higher rank than me, it means they know more than I do and I can go pick their brain.

You're right about learning being easy once you know your modality. My high school GPA was 2.5. then I figured out how I learn. My college GPA was 3.6. My grad school GPA is 4.0. I didn't get any smarter. I just learned how to learn. You just adapt. In high school, I'd park myself in front of my textbook for hours. In college, I started doing the study group thing, but still tried to book learn a bit. Now, I don't book learn at all. If there's something I need from a book, I use my computer, record it on CD set to a rap or some kind of music or something, and listen to it in traffic.

Most of the kids that are going to do really, really well in your karate classes are the ones that are going to struggle in school, because they're kinestetic learners (learn by movment), and most of school is auditory and visual. We had one of those guys typically branded as a "dumb jock" in my geometry class... we were doing something about spheres. He just didn't get it. Finally, the teacher went into her own lunch, pulled out an orange, and handed it to him. He looked at it, looked at the formula we were doing, and looked up at her, eyes wide...."I get it!" He just needed something to touch to make it click in his mind.

A lot of this "educational" stuff can be applied to karate... when you look at your teaching, are you hitting all three learning styles, or just one or two? when I'm teaching, I always make sure to demonstrate for the visual learners, talk it through for the auditory learners, and do a step by step walkthrough for the kinestethic learners. If you make sure to hit everything, you never leave anyone standing there going "um...whatwussat?"

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is very cool Nightingale! I always teach in all three modalities. Not only does it help the student, but it helps the instructor and sometimes, it's a great way to stretch the mental muscles.

If you're ever interested in learning great corporate applications that are easily modeled into teaching, I would recommend "Influencing with Integrity" by Genie Z. Laborde. She's a really great person as well.

Take care,

Dan

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Scott Bonner

Peace,
Scott
Scott, you may not be abole to get 100% of Kenpi from a book, true; but, what you can get are some insights and explanations that will help you when you find quality instruction. There a couple of genuine/legitimate seniors in this forum. Ask them, i am sure that they would love to discuss any concept you come across. Heck throw it out here and get a zillion different takes, all of which could be right or total BS, but either way, very informative and a lot of fun.

Good Luck,
Keep the blocks between you and the opponent!

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Seig

Scott, you may not be abole to get 100% of Kenpi from a book, true; but, what you can get are some insights and explanations that will help you when you find quality instruction.

When I find quality instruction? I think I've got quality instruction! (Clint Hughes, who seems to really have his act together, and teaches through a good "line", under Sean Kelly and Huk Planas) I'm just noting that most of Kenpo can't be relayed well except through physically doing it.

But, yeah, I like to get lots of views on things. Disagreement can be a powerful force for good. :D

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Seig

I was under the impression that you were not currently working with someone...

No, I'm currently working with Mr. Hughes. That may change soon, as I'll be moving to St. Louis in August and as of yet have not found a quality teacher that teaches the kind of Kenpo I want to learn. I may have to take, gods forfend!, TKD! Anything but Tracy's! :D (just kidding around; don't get uptight anyone).

Peace,
Scott

Latest Discussions