Belt Promotion

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, i get that, but here is where I lose it.

The instructor ought to know if they are in good enough shape or not. And, if not, then they shouldnt be allowed to test in the first place.

plus, if somehow they slip past the instructor, and they and not in good enough shape, they will fall out during the test, and it will get noticed. People passing out or puking usually gets someone's attention....

Call me old fashioned, but to my mind, if you want the student to demonstrate what good shape they are in, make them fight more.

Not to mention that my tests were HARD and I needed all my energy for the test. And my students will face the same thing.

When I came up, when you tested for Black, they made us fight until we passed out. The idea was to see if we would get back up. That tested our endurance and resolve at the same time.

Thats good enough for me.

There is also an added reason for having students do push-ups & sit-ups for tests. That is, to test their mental abilities as well. For many, it's a "brick wall" obsticle that they don't know if they can get past, mentally.

I have a 52 year old high school physics teacher as a student. She's in class for the fitness aspect, not sparring. Exhausting her with sparring doesn't take long & doesn't really test her much. She's learning how to do push-ups now & it's a mental barrier for her. At the end of her test, when she's done everything else to the best of her ability, I have her do push-ups to test her mentally. It also shows her that she's doing better than she could at her last test.

As much as we would like it to be this way, not every student is a 17 year old brown belt with unlimited energy who likes to spar. We as instructors need to tailor our classes & tests to challenge students individually.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, there is a lot of logic to that, i will admit. I guess I am just too dead set on a belt test being a test of martial skill.

I am gonna think on this Terry. Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, i get that, but here is where I lose it.

The instructor ought to know if they are in good enough shape or not. And, if not, then they shouldnt be allowed to test in the first place.

plus, if somehow they slip past the instructor, and they and not in good enough shape, they will fall out during the test, and it will get noticed. People passing out or puking usually gets someone's attention....

Call me old fashioned, but to my mind, if you want the student to demonstrate what good shape they are in, make them fight more.

Not to mention that my tests were HARD and I needed all my energy for the test. And my students will face the same thing.

When I came up, when you tested for Black, they made us fight until we passed out. The idea was to see if we would get back up. That tested our endurance and resolve at the same time.

Thats good enough for me.

I agree when I tested it was about fighting and how long you could last with one two three and even four people. I know your instructor back in Grand Prairie and he was about fighting and showing the Martial art side to a test.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, congradulations on taking the first baby step towards enlightenment.

Latest Discussions