Belt Promotion

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On Friday, 4/25, my family and I passed our first promotion test, we are all now White Belts with a Yellow stripe. We started TKD late January and still loving it. We attend class three times a week, and depending on our schedules, we sometimes go four times a week. We're looking forward to our next challenge to continue to learn and advance.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thats really cool. Grats to you and yours. Funny thing about belt tests, the tests get harder, but testing gets easier.

Good job!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent news! That you all did that as a family will make it extra special. congratulations. :)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello to all:

Mr. Negative signing in here with my 2 cents worth.

OK, are you ready, because you should be by now............

cbjr5, congratulations. I think it is fantastic that you and your family have passed your first promotion test and now are on your way to being real martial artists. Good luck and please keep us informed on how you are doing.

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzz, I don't know which is worst. The fact that I said that or the fact that I meant it.

Jim Greenwood

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is really cool. I know how special it is to go thru it together as a family. My dad and I went thru together and we tested for our black belts the same day back in 1985 with the ATA. It is something I will never forget as a kid and doing martial arts with my dad… later on in 1996 we both tested for black belt in Kempo the same day too.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats! I go to TKD with my three daughters and my son, and it's a nice thing we all share and will continue to share for years.

Congrats again!

jim

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations to you all! The first testing is always remembered the longest - I still remember mine (in mid-1987), although many of the intermediate testings have long since faded out.

Tswolfman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congrats, I too tested for Black Belt with my father in 1988 (both 1st),again in 2001 (Me 3rd, my father 2nd) & for a thrid time in 2004 (Me 4th, My father 3rd). it is a really cool experience being able to progress with your family.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations for your promotion and the wonderful idea to train as a family.

What did you have to do for your test? What material do you get to learn for your new rank?

Miles

OP
C

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations for your promotion and the wonderful idea to train as a family.

What did you have to do for your test? What material do you get to learn for your new rank?

Miles

Thanks Miles,

For testing, we had do some basic physical fitness, pushups, situps, little bit of cardio, basic kicking patterns, Saju Jiru Gi, some terminology, counting to ten in Korean, learn our student oath the school has which is four sentences and know our tenents. As we move up in testing, there is a little more you have know terminolgy wise, meaning of your pattern increase on physical fitness, stuff like that.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Miles,

For testing, we had do some basic physical fitness, pushups, situps, little bit of cardio, basic kicking patterns, Saju Jiru Gi, some terminology, counting to ten in Korean, learn our student oath the school has which is four sentences and know our tenents. As we move up in testing, there is a little more you have know terminolgy wise, meaning of your pattern increase on physical fitness, stuff like that.

Good luck with your family and your training!

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what is the deal with making people do sit ups on a test?

*shakes head*

It is a way of showing you are physically fir to be promoted to the next level. Where training gets harder so much the endourance of said practitioner.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a way of showing you are physically fir to be promoted to the next level. Where training gets harder so much the endourance of said practitioner.

Terry, i get that, but here is where I lose it.

The instructor ought to know if they are in good enough shape or not. And, if not, then they shouldnt be allowed to test in the first place.

plus, if somehow they slip past the instructor, and they and not in good enough shape, they will fall out during the test, and it will get noticed. People passing out or puking usually gets someone's attention....

Call me old fashioned, but to my mind, if you want the student to demonstrate what good shape they are in, make them fight more.

Not to mention that my tests were HARD and I needed all my energy for the test. And my students will face the same thing.

When I came up, when you tested for Black, they made us fight until we passed out. The idea was to see if we would get back up. That tested our endurance and resolve at the same time.

Thats good enough for me.