Question

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here.

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question.

I used to do TKD for about 10 years (ages 5-15ish) and achieved the rank of 1st Dan with several stripes. I still have my belt and certificates. I'm now 23 and am looking to get back into it.

I remember the striking and the intuitive parts of TKD... and maybe a few of the lower level forms (who could forget them after doing them and teaching them for so long).

Would I be required to start from white belt again, or do you think a school would allow me (upon showing the requisite certifications, etc) to pick up where I left off and slowly fill in (many) gaps? Would this be on a school-by-school basis or am I entitled to certain rights about maintaining my rank?

Thanks much,

~Tom

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here.

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question.

I used to do TKD for about 10 years (ages 5-15ish) and achieved the rank of 1st Dan with several stripes. I still have my belt and certificates. I'm now 23 and am looking to get back into it.

I remember the striking and the intuitive parts of TKD... and maybe a few of the lower level forms (who could forget them after doing them and teaching them for so long).

Would I be required to start from white belt again, or do you think a school would allow me (upon showing the requisite certifications, etc) to pick up where I left off and slowly fill in (many) gaps? Would this be on a school-by-school basis or am I entitled to certain rights about maintaining my rank?

Thanks much,

~Tom

When I had to stop training, I was a purple belt. After I started TKD again, my instructor said I could start back up as a purple belt(I asked him which belt I should wear). But, that was my situation. I would definately ask the dojang that you'll be going to--it won't hurt!

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah.... it's been about a 9 year layoff, and it will almost certainly be a different dojang (different state).

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More than likely you will be able to start back at the rank that you have. There will be a learning (&/or re-learning) curve for you, tho. It will be much easier if you rejoin the same type of TKD school that you came from. For example, if you came from an ATA school, going back to an ATA school is the best thing if you want to keep your rank & have a smooth transition back into training. But each instructor has their own criteria.

All my best! Welcome to MartialTalk & back to TKD!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off is it a Kukkiwon certificate or ITF or ATA, most school will except these types. If it is just a house belt then that could lead to problems, like if you was sport TKD Olympic style and then choose tpp go to a IYF school whole diferent sets of Poomsae, Kara or forms. So you see it is up to each school and organization.

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's Kukkiwon on the certificate from Korea. So hopefully I'll be good.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
When folks have had a long period of layoff or came from another school. In or out of the organization they will start back at white belt if they were a gup rank.

However, if you are a black belt then well then we accept them as a black belt but they have to learn our cirriculum.

Gee to be utterly honest with you I went from White to Brown 1st in Judo 4x in judo. However I always competed as a black belt, while in competition. Period end of story. It was the only way to be fair to the others.

Just food for thought.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gee to be utterly honest with you I went from White to Brown 1st in Judo 4x in judo. However I always competed as a black belt, while in competition. Period end of story. It was the only way to be fair to the others.

I did the exact same thing in TKD. Its easier for me to start and learn the schools curriculum. Obviously you breeze through it and make your skill level known for sparring. You get a lot more respect and you then can put on the Bbelt and actually walk through the right stuff for that school.

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I would probably just restart (though giving up on 9 years is never fun...) but I will for certain be moving around a fair amount in the next 10 years. It seems counter productive to level up from white belt to green/brown numerous times instead of focusing on filling the gaps and pushing onwards. At least, in my opinion.

Thanks guys for the input (keep it coming!). This is a great board and I'm glad I stumbled across it.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was under the impression that a kukkiwan black belt certificate was all the proof you needed to retain your black belt. I would think that the only difference would be that the waiting period before you could test for second dan which should be extended until all of the required curriculum was brought up to par.

With that being said it will probably amaze you how quickly that the forms and other things come back to you.

Congrats for getting back into tkd..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would probably just restart (though giving up on 9 years is never fun...) but I will for certain be moving around a fair amount in the next 10 years. It seems counter productive to level up from white belt to green/brown numerous times instead of focusing on filling the gaps and pushing onwards. At least, in my opinion.

Thanks guys for the input (keep it coming!). This is a great board and I'm glad I stumbled across it.

I was under the impression that a kukkiwan black belt certificate was all the proof you needed to retain your black belt. I would think that the only difference would be that the waiting period before you could test for second dan which should be extended until all of the required curriculum was brought up to par.

With that being said it will probably amaze you how quickly that the forms and other things come back to you.

Congrats for getting back into tkd..

There are often significant differences between youth programs and adult programs; as I read this, the OP got his black belt as a teen. The meaning of the various stripes is also highly variable.

Since the OP states that they anticipate having to move frequently over the next 10 years, and in light of that, I'd consider looking for a national or international association almost more than a particular school. That way, there'll be some consistency between schools, and entering at a given rank will be easier. For the moment, I'd simply talk to the instructors and see how they want to handle your rank. They might suggest "auditing" some under-belt classes to get back up to speed; they might put you in an adult class, with your black belt. Or... they might say "that's nice; start at white, and let's see whether you really are ready."

You should be able to advance smoothly and rapidly, even if you start at the bottom. And you might well find out that re-visiting the fundamentals after a lengthy break and as an adult will be very instructive...

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always competed as a black belt, while in competition. Period end of story. It was the only way to be fair to the others.

Just food for thought.

Sadly I have seen one or two cases when people have competed at a level well below that which they should have been. Very unfair.

As you were 15, was your grade Poom or Dan?

KELLYG speaking good sense again.

As JKS says, speak to your potential instructor, they will have their own views on the matter.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok here it is if you are a Kukkiwn BB and you was under 15 it was a poom, which to get it to a Dan rank is simple pay the fee and return the paperwork for an upgraqde no test is required. If it was a Dan rank then you are a BB 1st Dan so any KKW or WTF school will except it period. Now you will have to relearn thing and also the school you choose other requirements. If you planned on competing you would be required to compete as a BB since you have one.

All this was it a Poom or Dan is irrelivant to the question both are recognized and there is no test required by the KKW to have it switched, now some school like mine want the poom to retest because of the school requirement for an Adult BB, but not the KKW.

I hope that clears thengs up.

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks.

The KKW cert says "poom" whereas the American Tae Kwon-Do Federation says "1st Degree Black Belt".

Either way I don't anticipate testing for a bit, that's for sure. I figure it will take at least six months to a year to catch up, maybe even longer to regain a solid mastery.

It sounds like to sum things up (correct me if wrong),

1. I should be able to restart at 1st Dan (there may be a few exceptions).

2. If/when I compete I must compete as a BB.

3. TKD is great and I never should have dropped to begin with.

Fair?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks.

The KKW cert says "poom" whereas the American Tae Kwon-Do Federation says "1st Degree Black Belt".

Either way I don't anticipate testing for a bit, that's for sure. I figure it will take at least six months to a year to catch up, maybe even longer to regain a solid mastery.

It sounds like to sum things up (correct me if wrong),

1. I should be able to restart at 1st Dan (there may be a few exceptions).
You have a KKW poom cert. You need only file for a 1st Dan (& pay the fee) to make that poom a Dan rank.
2. If/when I compete I must compete as a BB.
Yup.

3. TKD is great and I never should have dropped to begin with.
I'm glad you feel that way. Life gets in the way, sometimes. Hopefully, you were doing good things with your life in that time away from TKD. No need to beat yourself up about it.
Fair?

Welcome back:highfive:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
To answer Field Disiplines question you are either a Jr. or Sr. age student. There is no poom in Judo.

At age 15 I was a green belt going under the Sr. ranking system. It goes as such: White, Yellow, Green, Brown 3rd, Brown 2nd, Brown 1st and 1st dan and so forth.

When I was selected for tryouts in the All Marine Judo team I was immediately promoted to Brown 2nd. My technique, power with control was such that the Master Gunnery Sergeant who was a 7th dan promoted me on the spot.

I got Brown 1st in 9 months. However, between going to the field and deployments we never set down and formally tested for 1st dan.

A real shame, but that is the past. I was always made to wear a black belt because of skill with conceit or ego.

However the Master Gunny Sgt. has since promoted me via the USJA certification to 1st and 2nd dan.

His words were "I am only giving you what you deserve. Keep a log of the times you do demo's, seminars, or teaching class and 3 yrs. later I may consider you for 3rd dan."

However, under his tutledge I won the East Coast, West Coast, Unified East/West title, U.S. and Goodwill Games, World and Pan Am games for the All military division. So I ended my Judo military career with 33 gold and 2 silver.

I competed about 5-6 yrs ago at a tournament at a YMCA which qualified you for nationals. I brought my U.S.M.C. Judo team black belt and gi.

I asked who was favored to win in my weight class, they told me. I said well if it is single elimination then I want he and I to go first. As soon as the word Hajime(begin) I straightened his arm into an armbar and choked him out.

I didn't have to match any more that day. I let them keep the 1st place trophy, it was huge, 3 ft. tall. But to me it isn't about the gold, so I don't compete, I train students. In the end your class speaks for you, it doesn't matter your personal accomplishments.

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Iceman!

In the interim I did high school, undergraduate and am now in graduate school. (oh, and married)

I second that! Do you have a new school in mind?

Well, I just moved from my native Milwaukee to Ann Arbor last summer and I anticipate moving late this summer once more. Likely destinations are Milwaukee once more, Columbia South Carolina, DC, and San Fran (much stronger emphasis on first two).

So that said I have no new school in mind.

The reason why I dropped was because the gentleman who ran the school I was a part of basically demanded that all his ranking dans/BBs fork over a few thousand in cash as a showing of good loyalty (I guess he was having financial problems? He drove a Lexus and had 2 homes though...). Well, needless to say he got a bunch of no's and mass defections to competing schools around town. Since then he had to close one of his two locations and I believe he may have lost his second.

I later heard that he had green belts leading/teaching classes after he literally lost every single BB and higher.

But! No need to let a few bad apples ruin the tree.

Anyone have any good recommendations in South Carolina/DC/Milwaukee by chance?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grad school & married?! Yeah I'd say that's reason enough to take a bit of a break. Good on you!

Sorry, I don't know schools in those areas.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you go to San Fran look up Master Merrill Jung. Great school, amazing teacher.

Cheers,

Dave O.

Latest Discussions