BELT CHOICES

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thatā€™s interesting! I suppose once you receive a black belt in a Japanese art, traditionally, thereā€™s no further indication of ones level, so you keep you belt for a long time.
I only know this to be true of Shotokan. Every other style I'm aware of either has dan bars or candy cane/red belts. That said, people in those styles will eventually get "fresh" belts as they rank up. Back in Shorin-ryu, I had never seen anyone with a completely faded out black belt (I'm sure they exist, I just never saw it), but I HAVE seen it in Shotokan.
Silk belts look and move beautifully too. There is now ā€˜bamboo silkā€˜ which holds itā€™s colour better than silk, is identical in itā€™s properties to silk and is ā€˜veganā€™, if youā€™re worried about that kind of thing. But itā€™s currently about the same price as silk.
Personally, I like it worn around the edges - but definitely not to the point shown in the pic that was posted earlier. It looks like a belt version of "lucky socks." I'm curious to know if there are any that are specifically made to wear around the edges only, and no further than that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silk belts look and move beautifully too. There is now ā€˜bamboo silkā€˜ which holds itā€™s colour better than silk, is identical in itā€™s properties to silk and is ā€˜veganā€™, if youā€™re worried about that kind of thing. But itā€™s currently about the same price as silk.
I've never eaten a belt...

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only know this to be true of Shotokan.
Wado Ryu too.
Personally, I like it worn around the edges - but definitely not to the point shown in the pic that was posted earlier.
Yes, itā€™s a good look.
It looks like a belt version of "lucky socks."
šŸ˜„šŸ˜†šŸ˜‚ I laughed out loud at that.
I'm curious to know if there are any that are specifically made to wear around the edges only, and no further than that.
89C0FE5A-4B14-4E2C-9BA9-C6D098BFD1F0.jpeg

Well, they do it with jeansšŸ¤·šŸ¾

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At my ISKF dojo, all the black belts wear 1.5," whereas at my last Shorin-ryu dojo, they wore 1.75". I've never seen anyone wearing 2".

To me, the 1.75" width gave that additional "look" of seniority to the yudansha that the color black just doesn't do on its own. That's why, even at my ISKF dojo where everyone else is wearing 1.5", when I make black belt, I have every intent of getting one that's 1.75". I think 2" might be going overboard, but again, I don't think I've seen one that width.
Most folks I trained with used 2" belts for black. I find them more comfortable (tied right, they give a little pressure to the lower lumbar, which feels good to me - same thing with how I tie my hakama). We used 1.5" belts for all the colored ranks - it's just what was cheapest for the instructor to buy (we all bought our own BB, so had the chance to get whatever we wanted).

Once they're broken in, I don't feel any other difference (my 2" belt started much stiffer).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Embroidered belts, specific widths, and of course, the ubiquitous frayed black belt to demonstrate the person's been a black belt for so long, they've worn out their belt.

I've been wearing the same black belt for over 10 years, it still looks new. Not sure when it's supposed to wear out, but I suspect it's when I run a belt sander over it or drag it behind my truck for a couple hours.

I have no idea how wide my belt it. It's just a belt.
Yeah, I've had the same one for almost 20 years. It definitely doesn't look new, but no fraying. Mind you, part of that time I didn't train much, most of that time I was teaching more than training in that belt (I had another I took when traveling), and I most often wore hakama over it, so there was less chance for wear.

I like the first look of fraying on a BB - a couple of friends' belts got to that stage. Beyond that point, I'd be ready to replace the belt.

OP
Michael Hubbard

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like a worn looking belt. I have a Kataaro cotton belt that has a worn look on it. I have been wearing that same belt for a little over 3 years.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about how some peopleā€™s black belts lose their threads in non-abrasive areas.

View attachment 30199
Surprisingly, silk is extremely abrasion and chemical resistant (there are still ancient, battle-worn armour with silk braids that are faded, but still intact). I suspect completely threadbare silk black belts have had a little ā€˜assistanceā€™ with their ageing. Are they trying to add extra credibility to their look. Is that disingenuous or just fashion šŸ‘ØšŸ»ā€šŸŽ¤ šŸ‘©šŸ»ā€šŸŽ¤šŸ§‘ā€šŸŽ¤
I've wondered that too. Grappling is a huge part of our curriculum, so my belt is very worn front to back but because it's a double wrap like most belts, it's still pretty black on the part that is the under layer with only minor fading due to age. To get an even fade all the way around you would have to do it on purpose or are using a harsh detergent to wash your belt regularly.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wondered that too. Grappling is a huge part of our curriculum, so my belt is very worn front to back but because it's a double wrap like most belts, it's still pretty black on the part that is the under layer with only minor fading due to age. To get an even fade all the way around you would have to do it on purpose or are using a harsh detergent to wash your belt regularly.
I suspect thatā€™s what many doā€¦assisted wear šŸ˜‰

When your rolling around, isnā€™t it uncomfortable if youā€™re lying on your beltā€™s knotā€¦šŸ¤”ā€¦I imagine you have other things to worry about at that point!šŸ˜„

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like the silk belts, because they're softer. TKD typically doesn't have the "worn belt" tradition. Generally speaking, you get a fancy new embroidered belt with each promotion. Worn out belts are retired, just like a worn out dobak. There are very few TKD old timers sporting faded belts.
I think it depends on what style of TKD. This image is from the newest KKW Textbook (volume 1 pg 113).

Attachments

• 20231130_203457.jpg
    20231130_203457.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on what style of TKD. This image is from the newest KKW Textbook (volume 1 pg 113).
That's kinda what I meant by the "lucky socks" look, although I'd have expected some significant fraying along with that fading.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I said "very few" and not "none". GM Kyu Hyung Lee, for example. I've rarely seen him in a newish belt. But the vast majority, as I said, avoid the faded belt look.

Latest Discussions