BELT CHOICES

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a question and I figured I would ask it here. Does it make a whole lot of difference if I wear a 1 3/4 inch or 2 inch black belt in class and training? Are there a whole lot of differences between the two in widths to where it won't really matter? Am I being too picky? Any help would be appreciated.

I am having a tough time trying to pick between my 2 inch Isami or my 1 3/4 Shureido belt.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your school has a rule, why would it matter?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a question and I figured I would ask it here. Does it make a whole lot of difference if I wear a 1 3/4 inch or 2 inch black belt in class and training? Are there a whole lot of differences between the two in widths to where it won't really matter? Am I being too picky? Any help would be appreciated.

I am having a tough time trying to pick between my 2 inch Isami or my 1 3/4 Shureido belt.
yes its very important, clearly the wider belt will make you much better at MA, have a look out for a three inch belt, that will increase your abilities by 50%

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are getting an embroidered black belt I would go with a 2" for coverage. Especially if you are putting on display.
Once a belt breaks in you will never notice the 1/4" difference.
If you are getting a color belt they are usually 1 3/4".

OP
Michael Hubbard

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are getting an embroidered black belt I would go with a 2" for coverage. Especially if you are putting on display.
Once a belt breaks in you will never notice the 1/4" difference.
If you are getting a color belt they are usually 1 3/4".

Good point. I am a first dan black belt, so there would be no need for embroidery at this point. At second dan, Sensei will give out a new belt with our name embroidered on it. I tend to prefer the 1 3/4 belt for ease of tying. You are right that the difference between 1 3/4 and 2 inches after completely breaking in the belt won't be noticeable. It's just me being picky. I needed others with level heads on this forum to help me put things in perspective.

OP
Michael Hubbard

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Truth be told. This summer I was in Inglewood, CA visiting family and found out that the actual KI International office was only 2 miles away so I stopped off there to look around and picked up a GI and they had a nice 1 3/4 inch black belt for about $23 so I picked it up. It is a very simple but rugged cotton feel that I tend to prefer over the other belts and wouldn't mind using that one long term. It feels like the Tokaido and other rugged belts that our black belts have at my dojo.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Truth be told. This summer I was in Inglewood, CA visiting family and found out that the actual KI International office was only 2 miles away so I stopped off there to look around and picked up a GI and they had a nice 1 3/4 inch black belt for about $23 so I picked it up. It is a very simple but rugged cotton feel that I tend to prefer over the other belts and wouldn't mind using that one long term. It feels like the Tokaido and other rugged belts that our black belts have at my dojo.
it rather sounds like youve made a decision, just go with the one you like best, its a good rational for life be it cars, houses, women or belts

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been a long time but, where can I get bodybuilding gear?
Gym clothes? I dunno, bro. I've never seen a store in my life where I could buy athletic gear. Next time I see somebody wearing anything that says Nike or Adidas, I'll ask them and get back to you.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At my ISKF dojo, all the black belts wear 1.5," whereas at my last Shorin-ryu dojo, they wore 1.75". I've never seen anyone wearing 2".

To me, the 1.75" width gave that additional "look" of seniority to the yudansha that the color black just doesn't do on its own. That's why, even at my ISKF dojo where everyone else is wearing 1.5", when I make black belt, I have every intent of getting one that's 1.75". I think 2" might be going overboard, but again, I don't think I've seen one that width.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my ISKF dojo, all the black belts wear 1.5," whereas at my last Shorin-ryu dojo, they wore 1.75". I've never seen anyone wearing 2".

To me, the 1.75" width gave that additional "look" of seniority to the yudansha that the color black just doesn't do on its own. That's why, even at my ISKF dojo where everyone else is wearing 1.5", when I make black belt, I have every intent of getting one that's 1.75". I think 2" might be going overboard, but again, I don't think I've seen one that width.
Wow. Embroidered belts, specific widths, and of course, the ubiquitous frayed black belt to demonstrate the person's been a black belt for so long, they've worn out their belt.

I've been wearing the same black belt for over 10 years, it still looks new. Not sure when it's supposed to wear out, but I suspect it's when I run a belt sander over it or drag it behind my truck for a couple hours.

I have no idea how wide my belt it. It's just a belt.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Embroidered belts, specific widths, and of course, the ubiquitous frayed black belt to demonstrate the person's been a black belt for so long, they've worn out their belt.

I've been wearing the same black belt for over 10 years, it still looks new. Not sure when it's supposed to wear out, but I suspect it's when I run a belt sander over it or drag it behind my truck for a couple hours.

Don't forget cotton, satin, or silk. With all these different options out there, it only makes sense that people are going to weigh them before making a selection.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

😀😅😆 It’s the one item of clothing you that you should deliberately buy a poor quality version and you want to wear and fray!
Sling it over a low hanging tree branch and pull alternately on each end.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It usually starts fraying after twenty five years if you do a good amount of ground work.

I’m pretty sure sweat breaks it down a little bit, too. But maybe not.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about how some people’s black belts lose their threads in non-abrasive areas.

03E55791-0094-455F-AE9B-970E8A88EB27.jpeg

Surprisingly, silk is extremely abrasion and chemical resistant (there are still ancient, battle-worn armour with silk braids that are faded, but still intact). I suspect completely threadbare silk black belts have had a little ‘assistance’ with their ageing. Are they trying to add extra credibility to their look. Is that disingenuous or just fashion 👨🏻‍🎤 👩🏻‍🎤🧑‍🎤

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the silk belts, because they're softer. TKD typically doesn't have the "worn belt" tradition. Generally speaking, you get a fancy new embroidered belt with each promotion. Worn out belts are retired, just like a worn out dobak. There are very few TKD old timers sporting faded belts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a black belt embroided in Japanese.
Translated to English it reads, “Rank is meaningless, Bushido is the true path.

I have a bunch of belts, but that’s the only one I ever wear.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only like it worn around the edges. It'd be nice if they
I have a black belt embroided in Japanese.
Translated to English it reads, “Rank is meaningless, Bushido is the true path.

I have a bunch of belts, but that’s the only one I ever wear.
Somebody here said it, and I don't remember it verbatim, but it goes a little something like: "Rank is like money. Those who have it tell those who don't that it doesn't matter."

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the silk belts, because they're softer. TKD typically doesn't have the "worn belt" tradition. Generally speaking, you get a fancy new embroidered belt with each promotion. Worn out belts are retired, just like a worn out dobak. There are very few TKD old timers sporting faded belts.
That’s interesting! I suppose once you receive a black belt in a Japanese art, traditionally, there’s no further indication of ones level, so you keep you belt for a long time.

Silk belts look and move beautifully too. There is now ‘bamboo silk‘ which holds it’s colour better than silk, is identical in it’s properties to silk and is ‘vegan’, if you’re worried about that kind of thing. But it’s currently about the same price as silk.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody here said it, and I don't remember it verbatim, but it goes a little something like: "Rank is like money. Those who have it tell those who don't that it doesn't matter."
Ha ha… that’s wonderful!