Beginner want comment on cane fight practice

jergar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am thinking about this for a while also, the main concern is I lost the cane with two hands striking the bag and missed. The cane I used has thick padding at the tip as shown in the picture:
View attachment 27083

All 3 canes are United Cutlery Night Watchman cane:
UnitedCutlery.Com: Night Watchman Premium Adjustable Walking Cane - UC3129

Cane #1 is the one I used to hit the bag and flew off my hands when I missed the bag. I tried to hit low on the knee part and swing too low and passed under the bag and totally missed the bag. Because of the padding, the head is at least 2 1/2 oz all at the tip of the cane. It is too heavy for me to to swing in air. Even it's only 2 1/2oz more, but the weight is all at the tip of the cane, it feels very different from the other two. I am thinking, if the cane is lighter, it might not fly out of my hand. Is there any validity on this?

Cane #2 has a rubber foam handle. It is easier to swing than #3 that has no foam. BUT one important thing I am thinking, the foam makes the handle bigger. I cannot wrap around the handle with foam as secure as #3 without the foam. Would it be safer to NOT having the foam handle even though it's not as comfortable?

These are heavy cane, even the one without anything is 19oz, much heavier than rattan or even wood cane. I choose this for the stopping power. Now if the weight can cause me to lose the cane, that is a dilemma again.

Anyone have experience on this issue? How to choose the best weight for me?

thanks
Hi Alan yeah that foam holds moisture , wrap were you grip with the rough medical tape. It’s cloth and will improve your grip, also use more circular motion when striking bringing the stick back towards the center of your body, that keeps the stick from flying off . Hope this helps you l out!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing about the cane is it has to look like a cane!!! I don't want to make the grip stand out.

It's the circular motion that can cause the cane to hit things around the surrounding. I actually thinking about pulling the cane back after hitting just like punching, you punch, you penetrate the target, then you pull back the punch. I don't know how well that will work on the cane.

Apparently it is not uncommon for people to lose their stick/cane or even other weapons like axe or sword in competitions. The difference is if you lose your weapon in competition, worst is you lose the competition. But if you lose your cane in self defense situation, you can lose your life, attacker can pick up the cane and use against you. So it's a much bigger deal losing the cane in self defense situation.

I just ordered some black 1/8" Nylon rope, I can drill a hole on the handle and put a loop. Before I start swinging, I loop the rope on my wrist. So even if the cane flies out, the rope will still prevent the cane from flying off. I can recover the cane faster and continue the fight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some black 1/8" Nylon rope, I can drill a hole on the handle and put a loop. Before I start swinging, I loop the rope on my wrist. So even if the cane flies out, the rope will still prevent the cane from flying off. I can recover the cane faster and continue the fight.
I think it's pretty optimistic to expect your attacker to give you time to put that loop around your wrist...

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's pretty optimistic to expect your attacker to give you time to put that loop around your wrist...
Situation awareness!! When things looks wrong, put it on first. Put it on before walking out on the street.

Can you tell me a better way? Expert already said stick can flies off on the best of the people, You see this happened in competitions, what can you do? Of cause if there is anything I can practice to avoid it, I would love to learn. Short of that, a rope is the only way I can think of.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Situation awareness!! When things looks wrong, put it on first. Put it on before walking out on the street.

Can you tell me a better way? Expert already said stick can flies off on the best of the people, You see this happened in competitions, what can you do? Of cause if there is anything I can practice to avoid it, I would love to learn. Short of that, a rope is the only way I can think of.
If that cord is your plan, then the answer is to always have it on, not put it on when you think there's a problem.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If that cord is your plan, then the answer is to always have it on, not put it on when you think there's a problem.
Ha ha, I can't have the cord on when I am eating!! But hey, what do I have to lose, worst case is I don't have time to put it on, then it's like I never put the cord on ever. Most of the attack on Asians is on the street, I definitely will have the cord around the wrist when I am walking.

I am at the same time practicing striking the bag at the limit of my reach, just barely hitting the bag with the tip of the cane. 30% of the time I strike through or even barely miss, the cane over swing, I learn to hold onto the cane and not let it fly. Hope this help.

Latest Discussions