Be nice

Banjin Tsuki

White Belt
Reaction score
I DISAGREE. YOU'RE PATHETIC, I'M GOING TO BEAT YOU UP!

Haha j/k! You're absolutely right about this!!!!!!! I was on a forum just the other night (Bullshido.net) and got ganged up on by the "martial arts guru's" where many of the individuals were alleged "Police Officers"???
These "Police Officers" sit there and verbally thrash people over the internet, due to their lack of information, or their personal opinions on certain subjects??

I tried to come back a few hours later and even changed my forum s/n, although the actual MODERATORS on that forum recognized my IP address and opened up the can of worms! These are some pathetic, immature, petty little kids to be acting this way.

They put a LOT of emphasis on cyber-bullying others, which leaves me at a wonder on how they truly act in person.
Are they cowards in person, or are they truly skilled in the Martial Arts; although they use their skills to do more harm than good?

I learned in my entire life of practicing martial arts, that helping others and fighting the bullies who pick on the meeker ones is the way to go.

Jesus, what's going on these days??

Sad. This is still going on. I just had this same experience at bullshido so I started looking around for an intelligent forum for martial arts discussion. They must get their kicks by harassing people. It's bad enough on a forum site - I just hope they don't harass people like that physically.

Anyway, I am encouraged so far by what I am seeing here.

Banjin Tsuki

White Belt
Reaction score
I hope you did not interpret what I wrote as bashing other forums. I assure you that was never my intention which is why I did not mention any names.

The individuals I have described are ones I have no desire to deal with and they have no place in the martial arts. Which is why I am here.

It's funny. You really can win by not fighting. You just avoid the attacker in the first place.

Agreed - I did not mean that as a bash either. Just expressing disappointment.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My two cent's worth ... I think the most important thing to maintaining a healthy atmosphere, whether on-line or in person, is to have an open mind. Too many people are trying too hard to insist that their way is the only way. For example :
I come from the old school owhere belts are earned not bought the teacher does not stop yelling at you until you get it right. And even when you do it right, the teacher might yell at you some more. However in my experience it was never done in malice, it was to instill discipline and to realize importance of what you were practicing could save your life.
This statement could be interpreted by someone else as meaning that anyone who doesn't train that way is not as good, and it can prompt them to react negatively. Myself, I come from an even older school, ours has been handed down since 1693, and it doesn't include any yelling like that. This doesn't make it better, just different ways of instilling discipline.
It's all good, and even the worst corner McDojo selling belts is much better than someone sitting in front of the TV watching reality shows.

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope you did not interpret what I wrote as bashing other forums. I assure you that was never my intention which is why I did not mention any names.

The individuals I have described are ones I have no desire to deal with and they have no place in the martial arts. Which is why I am here.

It's funny. You really can win by not fighting. You just avoid the attacker in the first place.

Yes. just, if at all possible, avoid the inappropriate comments and/or the jerks who make them. In psychology, that approach is called "extinction" - just giving no response. In all likelihood, they will stop, as their entire purpose is not to discuss - but merely to annoy.

About this forum, MT, I have not noticed much harassment, and I do think the moderation that I've seen if fair.

Ana

White Belt
Reaction score
This forum is quite nice. I haven't really been on other martial arts forums because I'm still a complete noob in my art but people are really helpful and they do give each other advice when its needed. It's nice to see such a polite and friendly atmosphere....rather like my dojang.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This forum is quite nice. I haven't really been on other martial arts forums because I'm still a complete noob in my art but people are really helpful and they do give each other advice when its needed. It's nice to see such a polite and friendly atmosphere....rather like my dojang.

Glad you like it here!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree, people like that will eventually get what's coming to them. I also agree about what you said about martial arts, they should be used to focus on one's journey and personal growth.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also agree about what you said about martial arts, they should be used to focus on one's journey and personal growth.
Martial Arts = "Arts of Mars" = Hurting people and breaking their toys.

This whole theory that martial arts are about the "do," the personal growth, making the world a better place, peace, love, cuddling kittens, is all the result of modern society and technology which enables us to not typically have to use the Arts of Mars for anything more than personal growth and entertainment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This whole theory that martial arts are about the "do," the personal growth, making the world a better place, peace, love, cuddling kittens, is all the result of modern society and technology which enables us to not typically have to use the Arts of Mars for anything more than personal growth and entertainment.
That's very true. However, when the odds are extremely high against you ever having to use your hard earned skills for their intended purpose, it helps to have a secondary reason for abusing yourself at training every day. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's very true. However, when the odds are extremely high against you ever having to use your hard earned skills for their intended purpose, it helps to have a secondary reason for abusing yourself at training every day. :)
The same could be said of any pursuit, though. Not just martial arts.

Any learning is by definition growth. I won't speak for Kirk, but if personal growth is a serious consideration, you could do just as well learning to play the piano. Or better yet, donate your time to a homeless shelter or volunteer to be a big brother/big sister. Spend more time at church. Go back to college. Write a screen play or take up golf.

in other words, the self growth is distinct from the subject matter. It's related to learning something new, and has nothing to do with it being a martial art.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same could be said of any pursuit, though. Not just martial arts.

I think the point pgsmith was making though was that if you only train in the martial arts for practical situations, that most probably won't come up for most people, then it helps with the motivation and interest to have some back up reasons for training. I understand your point as well, that if you want personal growth, then there are other options besides the martial arts to take care of that need/desire/interest.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

At one point, I used to train in the martial arts primarily for self defense. Now I train in the martial arts primarily for other reasons.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think the point pgsmith was making though was that if you only train in the martial arts for practical situations, that most probably won't come up for most people, then it helps with the motivation and interest to have some back up reasons for training. I understand your point as well, that if you want personal growth, then there are other options besides the martial arts to take care of that need/desire/interest.

I understood what he meant. I was simply pointing out that personal growth is unavoidable if you're doing something (anything) that stretches you in some way. It's unavoidable to grow in a positive way if you're increasing your skills, knowledge or abilities in literally any way.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to go with "It's fun." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk