Battle:L.A. #1 overseas, so much for no audience

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to John Nolte at Bighollywood.com Battle:L.A. came in #1 in overseas box office reciepts. I guess American movies do sell overseas. Perhaps now we can have a superman movie that actually uses "Truth, Justice and the AMERICAN way," and captain america can be called captian america instead of "the first avenger," and maybe the guys making the new Red Dawn movie can stop erasing all the Chinese stuff in the movie. Here is the article.

From John Nolte:

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...ell-us-pro-american-hurts-foreign-box-office/

From the article:

In order to not make the pro-American films that so offend them, Leftist Hollywood lies and tells us pro-America doesn’t sell at what we’re told is the increasingly important foreign box office. And the hopelessly butt-boy entertainment media is always ready to help spread that lie. We knew that was a lie last year and now this year the single BIGGEST weekend for foreign grosses was captured by the openly pro-American, pro-U.S. Military Battle: Los Angeles.

Maybe Leftist Hollywood’s going to tell us that America sells overseas today because Obama’s president – he’s not Bush and our overseas neighbors like him more because he closed Gitmo, oh wait; because he ended indefinite detentions, oh wait; because without Congressional approval he would never attack a Middle Eastern, oil-producing nation that wasn’t a threat to us, oh wait; because he wouldn’t fight a war of choice, oh wait; because… because… because…

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As soon as I saw the word 'leftist', he lost credibility.

Has he stopped to think that we furriners may enjoy seeing America get the ***** blown out of it on the big screen? Independance Day was also a big draw to the overseas crowd.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
billi thinks all people hate America...but he forgets that the appeal of **** blowing up is pretty much universal...and I don't mean that commy movie outfit either! :D

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gran, i think it is more accurate to say that bill thinks LEFTISTS hate america.

not everyone

i could be wrong tho

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I have heard about this film so far, it is not the fact that it is 'American' that is important in the slightest.

At least for me, there are certain things that are part of my (confessedly martial) nature to which it sounds like this film will appeal; for, despite being notionally about an American unit, the emotional strings it plays sing the song of any unit anywhere.

Service and self-sacrifice mixed with a good levening of courage is a heady brew in my book.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I have heard about this film so far, it is not the fact that it is 'American' that is important in the slightest.

At least for me, there are certain things that are part of my (confessedly martial) nature to which it sounds like this film will appeal; for, despite being notionally about an American unit, the emotional strings it plays sing the song of any unit anywhere.

Service and self-sacrifice mixed with a good levening of courage is a heady brew in my book.

And of course things go BOOM... :)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point would be the inate Americanism in the movie did not hurt it's box office take. So, Superman doing the American way thing, would not turn off foriegn audiences, or Captain america fighting nazis would not turn off foriegn audiences. The people in Hollywood believe that it would and so try to either cast Americans as villains or wipe out the overt Americanism in the film.

Try this. James Bond is a British secret agent. When they show James Bond movies in the countries that were formerly colonies of the British empire, do they say that he is a generic secret agent?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The point would be the inate Americanism in the movie did not hurt it's box office take.

I'm still not convinced that there actually is any innate "Americanism" in the movie.

More to the point, and others have said it-it's Europeans paying to watch the U.S. get its *** kicked.

So, Superman doing the American way thing, would not turn off foriegn audiences, or Captain america fighting nazis would not turn off foriegn audiences. The people in Hollywood believe that it would and so try to either cast Americans as villains or wipe out the overt Americanism in the film.

Let's see: Captain America, (Full title: Captain America the First Avenger) running around in a red, white and blue outfit-nothing American about that. Kicking Nazi butt, including the marvelous Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull.

Superman's reboot? Well, gee they cast a British actor, but how much do you wanna bet he'll say his lines with an American accent, ala Hugh Laurie in House?

I mean, you do realize that movies are just make-believe, right? people pretending to be other people to entertain us? And, when it's all said and done, "left wing Hollywood" is nothing but a big, capitalist money-making machine?

So, I don't get how that's Hollywood trying to cast Americans as villains or wipe out "overt Americanism."

"Overt Americanism?" Still not sure what that means in the context of cinema, but what the heck....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point would be the inate Americanism in the movie did not hurt it's box office take. So, Superman doing the American way thing, would not turn off foriegn audiences, or Captain america fighting nazis would not turn off foriegn audiences. The people in Hollywood believe that it would and so try to either cast Americans as villains or wipe out the overt Americanism in the film.

Try this. James Bond is a British secret agent. When they show James Bond movies in the countries that were formerly colonies of the British empire, do they say that he is a generic secret agent?

Visit the facilities, Dahling, because you are full of it. :)

You over estimate the movie and under estimate the viewers.

Not to mention the movie is not shown in it's original language, it's dubbed. That takes away funny accents as they largely don't translate. and makes your uniquely American hero just one of the guys...but not American.

(and yes, the US misses out a great deal, because dubbing is pretty much not done)

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Superman's reboot? Well, gee they cast a British actor, but how much do you wanna bet he'll say his lines with an American accent, ala Hugh Laurie in House?
I know this has nothing to do with the subject matter, but you did mention Hugh Laurie. His partnership with Stephen Fry was great! While most of America saw Benny Hill as the funniest thing to come out of the UK, we in the UK had this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions