American flag waving may actually sell at the box office...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible, Elder, but I think the phrasing of this section of the review is the key. The author uses the word "simplisitc," to begin the section and that is not used as a compliment. I think a different word choice here would make your point, but that word choice I think tilts toward my point. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think if you cut out the word "simplistic," and just had "sticking to it's patriotic origins..." it would be more to what you are saying.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I think if you cut out the word "simplistic," and just had "sticking to it's patriotic origins..." it would be more to what you are saying.

And now you're underthinking it. Have you ever seen any WWII era Captain America comic books? "Simplistic" is the word one applies to a simpler time...
unless you're looking to satisfy some sort of agenda, of course...:lfao:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife and I just watched Battle LA on Pay per view over the weekend. It cost us like $5.00. Thank the gods we didn't see that dreck in the movie theater for $12 each. awful, awful film. It was so determined to make the US Marines look like heroes that it just came off like a really bad propaganda bit. It was downright embarrassing. Even tho the bad guys were aliens invading from outer space, and they had invaded the entire planet so it was really a global problem, the portrayal of the Marines fighting to defend LA just made me want to puke.

Was that a "patriotic" or "pro-American" film? I dunno. To me it was just stupid.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My wife and I just watched Battle LA on Pay per view over the weekend. It cost us like $5.00. Thank the gods we didn't see that dreck in the movie theater for $12 each. awful, awful film. It was so determined to make the US Marines look like heroes that it just came off like a really bad propaganda bit. It was downright embarrassing. Even tho the bad guys were aliens invading from outer space, and they had invaded the entire planet so it was really a global problem, the portrayal of the Marines fighting to defend LA just made me want to puke.

Was that a "patriotic" or "pro-American" film? I dunno. To me it was just stupid.

I actually enjoyed Battle: LA. It was what it claimed to be, a high-adrenaline, high-budget action flick. And also watching a review of it before hand, it was clear that it was more of a war movie about urban warfare than an alien invasion film. A few scenes in teh build-up to conflict underscored how the invading aliens' tactics were textbook invasions typical of any army. Whether that's actually true or accurate, you'd have to ask an actual military tactician, I personally don't know.

I honestly can't say whether it was pro-American or patriotic, but it was certainly pro-soldier. The script was predictable but it could have been worse. Definitely not to the level of propoganda though.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now on to the Planet of the apes:

From John Nolte...

The monkey still looks phony and please take a moment to notice that the bully in the clip has an American flag hanging from his house.
Yeah, Hollywood’s like that.

Or is it that under-evolved micro-brains are like that?

We get the same sort over here - they're called the BNP and they hang the Cross of St. George off their homes and pretend they're patriots. Same deal, different flag. A lot of evil gets drapped in our flags; it's up to the rest of us not to stand for the evil whilst still being proud of our countries (and trying to make sure that our countries are worth being proud of).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ya might need to pay me to see that movie. Even then the loss of two hours of my life might not be worth it.

I suppose going with billi can do that to you....but there are other people you can spend time in a dark room with for two hours...

%-}

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd rather spend two hours in a dark room with someone than go see most of the stuff being made ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damn skippy.

Nor do you. Do we break out the rattan and the blades? :lol:

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A conservative review of "Captain America: The First Avenger,"...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/m...lets-hear-it-for-captain-america/#more-496428

from the review:

And yet the point is that Rogers is no superhero. “What makes you so special?” the Red Skull wonders about his unflinching adversary. “Nothing,” Cap replies. “I’m just a kid from Brooklyn.” In other words, I’m just an ordinary American – we’re all like this, or at least all capable of this. And indeed, Cap’s not the only hero here. Every American soldier in the film – and yes, as Marlow notes, they come in all colors – is a rip-roaring, hard-drinking, Nazi-***-kicking hero in his own right. One of the most stirring moments in the film comes when Captain America comes over the horizon leading 400 escaped American POWs, all of whom fought their way out alongside Cap, every one of them marching back to camp with head held high and ready to go back into action. There may not be any flags visible in that scene, but it speaks volumes about American soldiers and the undeniable, indomitable American spirit.
-------------------------------------------------------------

The movie may still stink, but we'll see.

Just for kicks, check out reviews from more liberal critics and see where they are different. It might be enlightening.