Yakuza help with quake releif efforts

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read an article about this this morning. Gee, the MS13 doesn't do stuff like this.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. Yakuza is very different from western style gangs.
They have done great work several times already when there were natural disasters a couple of years ago. They got around to organizing help quickly while the official channels were still in disarray. Yakuza is a part of Japanese society and its role is much more complex than simply 'organized crime, bad'

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Yakuza is very different from western style gangs.
They have done great work several times already when there were natural disasters a couple of years ago. They got around to organizing help quickly while the official channels were still in disarray. Yakuza is a part of Japanese society and its role is much more complex than simply 'organized crime, bad'

Same used to be true here of La Cosa Nostra.30 years ago you couldn't find anyone in Bensonhurst who had something bad to say about John Gotti, mostly because of the apparent generosity of him and his men.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Same used to be true here of La Cosa Nostra.30 years ago you couldn't find anyone in Bensonhurst who had something bad to say about John Gotti, mostly because of the apparent generosity of him and his men.

I don't know how it is these days but why do you think the North End of Boston was so safe back then as well ;)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You all do remember hearing about how respected Bin Laden is/was in some quarters, he built schools, hospitals, remember?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You all do remember hearing about how respected Bin Laden is/was in some quarters, he built schools, hospitals, remember?

I also know Japanese people who are afraid to ride the train with Yakuza, and rightly so. Heck I got nervous about 30 years ago setting in a Japanese Restaurant in the states with a table full of Japanese guys that seemed to be overly tattooed from what little I observed from the table I was at.

However if they are helping now, let them help, the country needs it. However I do not believe this absolves them form past wrongs nor do I feel it gives them a free pass in the future.

Latest Discussions