American flag waving may actually sell at the box office...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
An article about hollywood using American patriotism to sell the movie "Captain America," which would go against the theory that Americanism doesn't sell any more...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...oster-is-all-about-marketing-the-flag-waving/

From the article:

For years Hollywood’s been telling us patriotism and pro-America doesn’t sell and yet here we have a major studio (Paramount) and brand (Marvel) going full “jingosim” with their major tentpole of the summer.
Why?
I guess furthering The Big Lie was no longer worth losing The Big Money. Unabashed, sincere patriotism most certainly helped “Iron Man” become a sleeper hit and an iconic classic. With DVD sales plumetting, it looks as though Hollywood — at least in some cases – can no longer afford to put propaganda above profit.
Pro-America sells. Period. We’ve documented this again and again and again and again. Anti-Americanism does not sell. A 100% flop-rate with over a dozen anti-war films proves that beyond a doubt.
And so it’s awfully nice to see that with just a few days to go before their film opens, Paramount and Marvel have decided the smart bet was to lay their chips on the red, white, and blue.
Thanks to some good ol-fashioned patriotic advertising and a couple of very cool trailers, the bad taste of Johnston’s obscene comments is finally washed away and I’m looking forward to a Friday matinee for the first time in a long time.

other articles on America and hollywood:

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...e-great-lie-americanism-doesnt-sell-overseas/

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...ell-us-pro-american-hurts-foreign-box-office/

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/l...l-overseas-are-you-listening-captain-america/

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
billi, billi, billi-ya gotta stop listening to this guy, I'm tellin' ya.

An article about hollywood using American patriotism to sell the movie "Captain America," which would go against the theory that Americanism doesn't sell any more...

What
theory that "Americanism doesn't sell any more?" I haven't seen or read that anywhere, ever, so I'm thinking he made it up.

For years Hollywood’s been telling us patriotism and pro-America doesn’t sell ?

Really? Where has Hollywood been telling us that? Honestly? I think he made it up.

Anti-Americanism does not sell. A 100% flop-rate with over a dozen anti-war films proves that beyond a doubt.

Does "anti-war" equate with "anti-American?" I certainly hope not.

Is anyone "pro-war?" Does "pro-war" (whatever insanity that might be) equate with "pro-American?" I certainly hope not.

Additionally, Born on the Fourth of July was anti-war, patriotic, based on a true story, a box-office and critical success nominated for 8 Academy awards, and winning Oliver Stone best director.

Breitbart's an idiot, dude.:lfao: You need to cut it off, ASAP.

No poetry, because, let's face it: when you step in dog-poo like this, there's nothing poetic about it. :lfao:

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen an anti American film made by Americans, in fact one of the gripes Europeans and other non Americans have with films that come out of America is how pro American they all are. Sometimes they even seem like propaganda for the American way of life! It doesn't stop anyone enjoying the films however so is a minor point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Miracle
National Treasure
Flags of Our Fathers
United 93
Pursuit of Happyness
Charlie Wilson's War
Iron Man (and Iron Man 2)
Hurt Locker
Band of Brothers

Just off the top of my head, these are movies that either portray the military in a positive and/or sympathetic light, or portray capitalism in a positive and/or sympathetic light, or, like Miracle, are just overtly pro-American. They're all what I'd consider pro-american. If we go back into the 90's or earlier, there are many more, but these are the ones that jump to mind from the relatively recent past.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeff, in your areas of expertise, you are quite sharp. So is Andrew Brietbart. if you bothered to read instead of knee jerking your way through this issue, you would have learned that the LA Times quoted a hollywood type stating flat out that "pro america" films dont sell well over seas. Brietbarts article proves that is bull crap. Thats the point.

it is a proven fact that hollywood runs on leftist bias

hollywood producers CLAIM they only think about profitt, not politics, BUT films with anti american themes get green lighted EVEN THOUGH they never make money

we all know YOU dont believe in leftist propaganda, but your belief, or lack thereof doesnt alter reality

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can add every Michael Bay and Stephen Speilberg movie to that list too. Hollywood anti-American? It's one of the most American things we have, it's become part of American culture and world culture even. Whatever themes are contained in a movie, if you agree with them or not if they are made within the Hollywood system it can say what it wishes because of our right to free speech. Just like how people can also freely object to a movie because that's also free speech.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
You can add every Michael Bay and Stephen Speilberg movie to that list too. Hollywood anti-American? It's one of the most American things we have, it's become part of American culture and world culture even. Whatever themes are contained in a movie, if you agree with them or not if they are made within the Hollywood system it can say what it wishes because of our right to free speech. Just like how people can also freely object to a movie because that's also free speech.

QFT! :asian:

Jeff, in your areas of expertise, you are quite sharp. So is Andrew Brietbart. if you bothered to read instead of knee jerking your way through this issue, you would have learned that the LA Times quoted a hollywood type stating flat out that "pro america" films dont sell well over seas. Brietbarts article proves that is bull crap. Thats the point.

A "Hollywood type?" And he says that "pro america" films don't sell well over seas.

Well, I guess that's enough to say that "Hollywood," as in "all of Hollywood" is anti-American......

....if you're an idiot, like Mr. Breitbart, that is.

it is a proven fact that hollywood runs on leftist bias

Not to me, it isn't. Hollywood runs on $$$. That many out there have a leftist bias or slant, I have no doubt. If movies about the likes of Sarah Palin were suddenly popular( and, thus, profitable) though, they'd be churning out right-wing propaganda like a fascism machine....:lfao:

hollywood producers CLAIM they only think about profitt, not politics, BUT films with anti american themes get green lighted EVEN THOUGH they never make money

Films with pro-American themes get green lighted, too. All the time. Always have, though some might argue about what a "pro-American theme" might be. Consider To Kill A Mockingbird or Inherit the Wind.

we all know YOU dont believe in leftist propaganda, but your belief, or lack thereof doesnt alter reality

I do believe in leftist propaganda. I just don't see it everywhere. like some (idiots!) do. :lfao: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'pro American' films aren't popular overseas, I doubt it's because it's because they are 'pro American', for many places sub titles have to be added and for many that detracts from the film, those that are dubbed again don't sound right and aren't so popular. How many foreign language films are box office hits in America? There's many reasons why some films are more popular than others, I don't think it's because people don't like pro American films, as I said we are used to American films being 'pro American', we understand that American film makers obviously think a lot of their country and the films in the first place are made for the American market not ours.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the original post from the article:

For years Hollywood’s been telling us patriotism and pro-America doesn’t sell and yet here we have a major studio (Paramount) and brand (Marvel) going full “jingosim” with their major tentpole of the summer.
Why?
I guess furthering The Big Lie was no longer worth losing The Big Money. Unabashed, sincere patriotism most certainly helped “Iron Man” become a sleeper hit and an iconic classic
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, the point of the article is that films that are not Anti-American do sell overseas. It is in hollywood where they are shy about pro-american movies not selling. The superman line about "Truth, justice, and the american way," being cut so "the american way," wasn't heard, is one example of the hollywood fear that people overseas dislike america. I have to argue with the hurt locker, it portrays american and british soldiers in a bad way. the movies you highlight Steve are the movies that show that pro-american and capitalism films are successful. I can give you a long list of other movies that are just the opposite, made no money but encouraged other hollywood types to make movies like them. the large number of anti-war on terror films come to mind that show the U.S. and american servicemen and women in a bad light comes to mind, and they keep making them. The Band of brothers was successful, the show about the pacific theater was less so and Tom Hanks probably didn't help by criticizing our efforts against the Japanese.

Iron man, I woud say the whole industrialist as bad guy is way overdone in too many movies. In a movie that starts off against muslim terrorists it circled back around to the bad Stark industries and the bad industrialist, and Tony Stark redeems himself by giving up the arms trade.

the initial stories about captain america beign less about him being captain America and more about just being a good person is one clue to the embarrassment a good majority of hollywood feels about this country.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm assuming, for the purpose of this thread, "Americanism" = "American patriotism." That being said, I really don't want to dive into this again. We've had threads in the past regarding this alleged across-the-board liberal bias in Hollywood. See here, and here.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A debate from NPR on this topic:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6625002

f
rom the article:

Defining what were to be the supporters' central arguments, Kimball enumerated two specific ways in which Hollywood encourages anti-Americanism: by exporting a wealth of what he described as violent, tasteless representations of American culture that vilify government and corporations, and through films such as Syriana, which he said actively and directly criticize U.S. institutions and industry.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A debate from NPR on this topic:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6625002

f
rom the article:

Defining what were to be the supporters' central arguments, Kimball enumerated two specific ways in which Hollywood encourages anti-Americanism: by exporting a wealth of what he described as violent, tasteless representations of American culture that vilify government and corporations, and through films such as Syriana, which he said actively and directly criticize U.S. institutions and industry.

Which is BS. :angry:

The U.S. was founded on dissent. Criticisms of our institutions and industry in the public square are essential elements of "Americanism."

Anyone who holds otherwise clearly doesn't understand what it means to be an American, or is an idiot..

Last edited:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Schindler's List, Das Boot, Downfall and dozens of others... are these films pro-Nazi?
What about Letters from Iwo Jima? Pro-imperialist Japan?
These films did very well respectfully in their own right... so who is to say?

I myself haven't seen any signs of a pro-American film doing poorly at the box-office... unless it was created and acted poorly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schindler's List, Das Boot, Downfall and dozens of others... are these films pro-Nazi?
What about Letters from Iwo Jima? Pro-imperialist Japan?
These films did very well respectfully in their own right... so who is to say?

I myself haven't seen any signs of a pro-American film doing poorly at the box-office... unless it was created and acted poorly.

Das Boot is a German production, hence the German title.

Do people watch films thinking this film is pro or anti American? I doubt it, they are more likely to think the film is either well or badly acted, interesting, entertaining or rubbish. There are a great number of rubbish films which are so bad (not B movies, C ones lol) they are great fun but while the scenery is falling down, the acting is hammy and the lines really bad you can't say they are anti American, quite the opposite actually. This reminds me of the thing about a certain Christian group telling everyone there were demonic messages floating in the cloud in Lion King, I guess if you want to you can make anything sound how you want it to.
I'm very hard put to think of any American made film that is anti American, at least any that has been exported as alleged.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is an interesting video on youtube, "The world according to Andrew Klavan," an author who had two books made into movies and wrote a screenplay which starred michael caine. The hollywood part that applies to this thread starts at 24 minutes where he talks about having embedded with the troops in Afghanistan and the slew of anti-american war movies that came out since the start of the war...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions